Question regarding to Xfire cards/ Afterburner

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by jackliu913, Mar 27, 2013.

1. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    Hey all,

This is sort of like multiple questions in one thread, but I don't know which forum to post in, but I think this is the most appropriate one, since I own 2xAMD GPUs.

1) Do we really have to use a GPU card utility to actually utilize the full potential of the cards, even if we don't overclock it. I have noticed if I DO NOT turn on afterburner, the gpu seems to be underperforming the stock clock speeds. I mean, for example, Tomb Raider is running around 30-40 FPS 19x12 max quality, AA off. I do the same thing when afterburner turned on, and it's like double the FPS. Seems like the CARDs "don't know" how to turn on the clock/memory if the utilty is not on, which is kinda weird.

2) Why is my card running so hot in games like Tomb Raider/ Crysis 3/ Far Cry 3. It's like in 80C range, and im not even overclocking much, maybe like 10% or lower. I have a new system which i bought in november, so ventilation should not be a problem. Do the cards don't know how to automatically crank up the fan control speeds? Do I have to manually crank up the speeds, as shown in this picture? What's the optimal graph i should tweak it at?
    [​IMG]

The thing is, when I run starcraft 2, my games never crash or go insanely hot, only these newer, graphics demanding titles seems to be giving me some issues.

3) Also, is it recommended that I'm running in 2x Xfire, the ULPS be set at 0 in the regedit?

thanks

2. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    no one can give a response?

3. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    wtf........

4. jackliu913

jackliu913 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti AMP Extreme
    ?????????????

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    #1 I have no idea on that it should not matter if AB is installed on your system
    #2 you can alter the GPU BIOS fan profile but AMD cards have crappy fan profiles stock as you have found out AB let's you do this at the software level.
    #3 iirc yes