hdmi outputs only 2 channel audio, any way to force 5.1?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Sever, May 26, 2010.

1. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    anyone know how i can force the hdmi audio output to output 5.1 audio instead of stereo.

basically i have my pc hooked up to my lcd tv via hdmi, and then my 5.1 receiver hooked up to my tv via digital output.

when i check the sound options, the ati hdmi output is set to 2 channel for some reason.

2. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    First of all, if you are using a DVI-HDMI cable and NOT an HDMI-HDMI cable with the DVI-HDMI adapter that ATI provides with its cards, you won't get any audio (because regular DVI cannot transfer audio signals). Secondly, you are possibly losing the 5.1 by going through your TV.

Now, seeing as though you have a Gigabyte mobo, you probably have an SPDIF digital output jack. On my rig, I use a simple digital cable going from my SPDIF output into my reciever. I set the video player to "pass through" the audio signal without decoding it. My reciever recieves this signal and decodes the 5.1. And my video signal goes from my card to my projector using an HDMI cable.

Therefore, you should try this. Cable from SPDIF out (mobo) to digital coaxial input (reciever). Make sure that you have the video player filter (AC3, DTS) set to just pass through the signal. (I personally use Media Player Classic to play my videos. It is included in the k-lite mega codec pack, which you can download for free. Windows media player has a problem NOT decoding the audio signal itself and you DO NOT want that signal decoded by your PC). If your reciever is decent, it should be able to take that signal and decode it. If not, you will still get audio, but not 5.1.
    If you are using vista or W7, you may have to go to playback devices and set Digital output to the default device in order for audio to go through the SPDIF jack and not through any speakers you may have connected to your PC.

As far as the TV, plug it in to a seperate input on your receiver, if you want to hear your cable TV broadcasting via your stereo system's speakers as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

3. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    This depends on what you mean by 'regular' DVI. There are nowadays 'special' DVI-to-HDMI cables which support audio, and their price is similar to that of the 'regular' ones.

4. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    wat

you need to connect your receiver with HDMI into the radeon to get 5.1 sound.
    Then you can use the DVI port to connect your TV using DVI to HDMI cable

5. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    reg·u·lar (r g y -l r). adj. 1. Customary, usual, or normal: the train's regular schedule.

That was my point. I was inquiring whether his cable is a standard DVI-HDMI. If he is getting any audio (which it seems that he is, just 2 channels and not 6) he is apparently using a 'special' DVI-HDMI cable or the ATI adapter and the problem is with his TV set not passing the signal correctly to his amp. So, as Sash says, he needs to connect his audio directly into the amp. He can do this either by HDMI or SPDIF. I suggest using SPDIF instead of using both of his card's ports...

6. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    5850 has no SPDIF, the only way to get real 5.1 audio from it is using HDMI to a digital amp which has DD 5.1/DD TrueHD or DTS/DTS-HD MA... period

7. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SPDIF can be found on most if not all Gigabyte mobos. He's got a Gigabyte mobo.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/973/1/

And it has SPDIF out. period...

That's how I do it and it works absolutely flawlessly.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  8. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    oh true but i tough we were talking only about outputting it trough the Radeon, my bad then.
    BTW only games that are Dolby certified can be heard in 5.1 via SPDIF, DVD will have no problems to output DD 5.1 in comparison, but not the HD audio of blurays

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  9. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    okay, just to clarify a few things.

as it says <<<, i have 5850s, which have hdmi ports, so no dvi to hdmi adapter is being used.

@Sash - yeah, im outputting it through the radeon. i thought it did full 7.1 audio output though? if it only does 2 channel, then that explains a lot.

my main reason for connecting it all to my tv is because using my tv as a hdmi switch simplifies things. i have my pc (hdmi1), ps3 (hdmi2), and upscaling dvd player (which also happens to be the receiver for the 5.1 system, hdmi3), and the fourth hdmi port is probably gonna be for a dvd recorder if i can be bothered. so rather than manually swapping the coaxial cable between all three devices, i figured its simpler to just have all inputs connected to the tv, and the audio output going from the tv to the receiver, and hence use the tv as the switch.

the receiver/home theatre system is this one

http://panasonic.com.au/products/details.cfm?objectID=4931

it has a dolby digital decoder built in (i think its 12bit dac, im a bit noob with the digital audio gear). at the moment, im just running it in dolby pro logic ii to convert stereo to 5.1, seems like a simple option, but its not as good as true 5.1 in games, so i was wondering if it was possible just through the hdmi port on the radeon.

funny thing about the home theatre system though, somehow i managed to snipe it on ebay for $355AU, haha. im guessing most people are trying to clear it so they can start planning their bluray setups.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  10. Rik55

Rik55 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD4850 700/1100MHz
    It has to go to the decoder first because the card has to be able to detect the available 7.1/5.1 decoder. The TV is sending the card through it's EDID that only 2 chanel is available. So it's Graphics Card with HDMI to Decoder then HDMI to TV. The only way to do it your way is if you get an HDTV with an HDMI pass through system.

11. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    when i plug in my receiver to my tv, the tv's speakers are automatically disabled, and the option to adjust the settings for the tv's speakers are automatically disabled. all audio data is automatically transferred to the receiver, and the only way i can tinker with the audio settings is through the receiver. this works because i have a panasonic tv, the viera link system kicks in and auto does everything for me, so it does a pass through - at least when my receiver is on. when its off, audio is outputted through the tv's speakers.

and yet still theres only two channels. and now im sure its just the pc, because my ps3 can output 5.1 channel properly for bluray movies and its still sending hdmi data to the tv which then outputs it through to the receiver via the digital cable.

so im guessing sash is correct, perhaps ati's hdmi output doesnt do full 5.1. i'll contact xfx and see if they know anything about it.

12. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    OK i did not see you have 2 radeons.
    In your case I would connect one to the TV with HDMI and the second one trough the decoder also with HDMI.
    If you did that already and the decoder still cannot see 5.1 then download this driver:
    http://218.210.127.131/downloads/do...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
    it should be in red: ATI HDMI Audio Device
    Series 5000 does full PCM audio, that means all the way up to 7.1, including HD audio, as long as you have the right drivers and connected the radeon trough the HDMI to a proper receiver

13. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    the receiver only has digital and analogue inputs (aside from usb and ipod which are somewhat irrelevent), no hdmi input.

and besides, if i ran the hdmi output off my second card, wouldnt that disable crossfire?

i'll download that ati hdmi audio driver. but i thought this was already included in the latest driver?

14. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i installed the new driver, still same issue.

heres a screeny to show what im talking about

[​IMG]

the driver keeps saying it only supports a maximum of 2 channels from the ati hdmi port.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Go to speakers, right click slect default and click on it. The green symbol should disappear...then right click on HDMI - advanced. What do you see?

16. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    Sever, it appears that you are insisting on using an HDMI cable to send audio via your 5850. You wrote that your receiver has a digital input and no HDMI input, correct? I don't understand why you are'nt just plugging your mobo's SPDIF (digital coaxial) output into your reciever's digitial coaxial input and getting sound that way. You just have to set "Realtek Digital Output" (in your screeny posted above) to default and make sure that the signal is being passed through and is decoded only when reaching your reciever. I've been getting 5.1 this way for years, on my various Gigabyte boards.

But it's your choice. Good luck, man.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't think he has sp/dif...

At a guess the "Realtek Digital Output" prob means HDA and not SP/DIF.

If you do have SP/DIF though, you'll need to enable passthrough mode if you want the DAC on your AMP to decode it.

18. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    then you cannot get 5.1 audio from your radeons. The only audio you can get is the one to your TV which is has 2 speakers. This is why you are confused when you see only 2 channels in the radeon's hdmi audio...
    we are back to square 1. Use SPDIF optical or coaxial cable, depending on what your receiver has to connect your motherboard to the receiver. the realtek digital output the last one is the one which will manage the SPDIF, so you must set that to default

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  19. Rik55

Rik55 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD4850 700/1100MHz
    shimyns, is correct. Unless you have a reciever that can take HDMI direct from the card, the only way you are going to get 5.1 channel sound is through your motherboards sound chip and not with the HD5850 sound chip.

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah just realized I was looking at my Audigy 2 SPDIF out (called SPIDIF), not my Realtek SPDIF out.....:3eyes: