Tomb Raider - Tressfx flickering in crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Scout, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Scout

Scout Guest

GPU:
    2 x GTX 980Ti
    So yeah, I'm using two 7950's in crossfire and the shadows from the hair flicker a lot in crossfire mode, hair also flickers all over the place sometimes.

Using latest beta drivers, anyone else with the same problem ?

2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    You have a video you can post?

3. Zurvan

Zurvan Guest

GPU:
    ASUS DirectCU II R9290 4G
    I was also getting some hair flickering when turning the camera around till the point Lara is almost bald lol.

Tressfx is really performance hungry so I hope AMD releases a beta driver soon.

4. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    there is defo performance issues in crossfire with 4xaa all maxed out but 2xaa all maxed out is much better like double the frames lol but the game has annoying random moments of pure slowdown during ingame fmv`s, think its to do with tressfx issue.

5. Scout

Scout Guest

GPU:
    2 x GTX 980Ti
    That would take ages since my upload is crappy, it's basically flickering shadows, have to turn off either crossfire or tressfx, but without crossfire it's unplayable..

On my setup with mild overclock I'm having 90%~ gpu usage from both cards with everything on ultra + tressfx and fsaa @ 2560x1440 & 60fps vsync

6. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    Like this?

[​IMG]

7. Scout

Scout Guest

GPU:
    2 x GTX 980Ti
    yeah, but the shadow in that gif is not flickering/blinking

hair glitches sometimes like that but not often

8. Kaaskop

Kaaskop Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Duke
    Well it seems that the second GPU cannot keep up with DirectCompute calculations that are needed for TressFX.

Did some testing and at 720p and 1080p with 1 card it's fine, on 1080p it's only a 10fps loss even compared to "normal" hair.
    With BOTH cards, at 720p it's fine-ish, only a little flickering and such, but on 1080p the horror starts. Massive slowdowns, massive flickering and benchmarked, 20 fps difference compared to "normal" hair.

So GG AMD, they created an AMD feature that doesn't work with AMD CrossfireX feature... :mad4:

1 card @720p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chTDhBr_KdU
    2 cards @720p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE_NYPDtvfc
    2 cards @1080p: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWYHjhqy4WI

9. Sketche

Sketche Guest

GPU:
    R9 295x2 + 290X
    I have dual 7970's and this isn't happening. Running the benchmark, at least.

10. BIGGRIMTIM

BIGGRIMTIM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
    I have dual 7970's and this happening for me with latest 13.2 beta 7 drivers.

11. scatterlogical

scatterlogical New Member

I'm experiencing this problem. Twin 7850's.
    The hair is flickering all over the place like a caffeinated child with tourette's.
    When the camera is way back, it settles right down and is quite fine, but closeups can get really nasty, even killing the framerate.
    Seems that there's a problem in how the hair is synced frame-to-frame - using RadeonPro, I switched the crossfire mode to supertile, and this helps a lot - but still not completely. Also, disabling vsync helps too, but even so it still flickers a little close-up.
    If I alt-enter and run the game in a window (disabling crossfire in the process) tada, totally fixed. Of course this nixes my lovely framerate.

12. Wag

Wag Member

GPU:
    2GB 6950 Tri-Fire
    Yeah, I have the same flickering problem on my tri-crossfire 6950 setup. 13.2 beta 6. Not only that, it appears that only 1 GPU out of 3 is supported (or at least seems that way). I would have waited to buy it had I known. It runs pretty crappy on my 4.4GHz setup.

I'm really getting tired of the lagging tri-crossfire support. I'm going to jump ship pretty soon and probably go Nvidia.

13. kenzt

kenzt Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 NITRO+ OC
    Having the exact same problem with TressFX. Sometimes Lara's ponytail vanishes hahah

14. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Im getting this with my 6990 plus 6970 also the game crashes often when using it but the crashing stopped with hair set to normal.

15. Sketche

Sketche Guest

GPU:
    R9 295x2 + 290X
    Strange.

Maybe do a completely clean install of 13.2's betas?

I haven't had a problem (not doubting that you guys are, of course)

16. I had this problem too but thats coz i was playing with vsync enabled. Disabled it and the flicker stopped. Try disabling vsync guys :)

17. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Mine has always been disabled.

18. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
  19. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    I have the same flickering issue on my 6990 with 13.2 beta7 drivers.

20. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Very good game this im enjoying playing it very much so its a shame about this hair problem as its a strong reason I bought the game certainly its a strong selling point so its a shame ive nearly finished the game and not been able to see it in all its glory.