TFT vs IPS, which one?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shoja, Mar 15, 2011.

1. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I was 1 click away from buying the ASUS VG236HE 23" (Link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_re=asus_3d_monitor-_-24-236-104-_-Product ) but thought I would ask before I buy.

I like the monitor but some people have been having 'green tint' problem with the screen and when googled, some suggest to go IPS instead if one can afford it and yes I can afford it. Now I am confused if I should go IPS(Dell ultrasharp u2410 $500) or TFT(Asus)?

Also is there a huge difference between 120hz and 60hz? Because right now I have my samsung 226bw at 1680x1050@60hz and my games run just fine.

Thanks!

2. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    Yeah it's the some question.. well nearly.. that i've been pondering myself for a long while now.

Get a BenQ xl2410t, 23.6", 120hz, led backlight, TN panel.

It'd probably be great for gaming from what i see in reviews.

Or i could get the Dell U2410 which is similar to the above except 60hz and an ips panel, also slightly more expensive.

What i really want is a monitor thats only marginally (or i'd except slightly) more expensive and be a 120hz ips :-(

but im just not sure if its out there yet.

And to answer your question.. yes 120hz is a pretty big difference in a pc monitor, my friend has one, and i'm quite jealous, looks great.

3. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    What does hz help with? Less blur?

4. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    when your graphics card renders more frames than your monitor can display, you get screen tearing. 60hz monitors can only render 60 frames per second, so if your card renders 120fps, you'll notice screen tearing. however, if your monitor is 120hz, it can handle 120fps and as a result, you wont notice screen tearing. games will look smoother overall.

the main benefit of 120hz is that it supports nvidia 3d vision and various other 3d type enhancements.

at the moment, ive got a 37inch IPS panel TV. despite being only 1920x1080, its surprisingly sharp and the colours are pretty good. people will tell you that TFTs have better response time, but the difference is not noticeable unless you have a camera that can capture 1000fps. so far playing on a TV hasnt reduced my score at all in fps games so i dont see it being an issue at all.

5. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    So I guess go for IPS? 60fps is all I need.

6. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    yup, thats my recommendation. best solution would be for you to go check one out for yourself. its always better to try before you buy.

7. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Make a simple test in a supermarket or so: look at an *IPS/*VA panel next to a TN panel. Look at colors (especially black) and viewing angles and see if a TN panel worth the money.
    I have a BenQ EW2420 (A-MVA LED panel) and I never look back at any TN panel.

8. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    same, that benq panel its awesome (i have it too), altho if you are sentivity to ghosting (im not) then you are doomed.

I would only pick 120hz over IPS only for 3d, but 3d requires too much $$ and such that i wont spend now, at least while i need to wear glasses to see it...

9. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Mediocre response time is something I always avoid like the plague. I'm happy with my LG 42LH5000 for now because I see no ghosting.

10. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    The only place close to me is Best buy and they have some of the crappiest moniters ever. I did sort of compared them to iMac displays tho, which looked way better when compared to those tft screens and I didn't know that iMac use IPs until now.

Yeah screw 3D, I am probably going to go blind if I use 3D lol

I completely forgot about the response time. So the Dell 24" has 6ms response and then looked at their 23" one which is 8ms. Think this is going cause ghosting issues for me in gaming?

11. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    IPS panels are far better in terms of actual image quality. I think I remember anything less than 12ms is more or less negligible (some people might notice some ghosting, most won't). Anything less than that and you are good I would imagine. Of course, YMMV.

12. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    first off i think theres some confusion going on. TFT is thin film transistor and is a variant of a type of LCD. Nothing to do with the panels themselves as far as TN PVA or IPS go.(theres others but these being the common ones)
    so essentially ips is also tft ;)

the order of quality is also like mentioned TN being the worst image quality/viewing angle but with fastest response time ..pva being much better and closer to ips and ips simply being the best.
    IMO if you aren't picky and have a single lcd, tn isn't a bad choice..i personally wouldnt want one since ive had PVA since 07 and dont want to "downgrade"

If you want more then a single lcd i wouldnt recommend anything other then PVA/IPS since they have MUCH better viewing angles that would be noticeable in eyefinity/surround gaming.

My overall opinion is go to a local store that sells both, check them out and see the difference in quality..price is usually a good bit more expensive for pva/ips over tn and can come in a 16:10 aspect ratio vs most 16:9 tn panels nowadays.

but basically if you dont mind or dont notice the difference go with the cheaper panel, its whatever makes you happiest :)

13. Texas Longhorn

Texas Longhorn Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 550
    I just got the Dell u2410 about 2 weeks ago and it's amazing. The monitor I had before this was the Samsung Syncmaster I believe it's called and this IPS blows it out of the water. Granted I don't have a huge amount of experience in monitors but going off reviews I went the IPS route with Dell (it was on sale for $449, down from $599) and it's been amazing. I've hooked the PS3 up to it to watch Blu Ray discs and the viewing angels are great and HD wallpapers are awesome.

I just made a thread about building a gaming pc (my current pc is garbage) so I can't speak on how it handles gaming but thankfully I have NO problems with the u2410 (no pink/green tint issues, dead pixels, etc). All I did was move the brightness down a few notches and it looks great (I'm no professional photographer nor do I have calibration software).

I know ASUS just released this P-IPS monitor but I pulled the trigger on the Dell while it was on sale since there was basically no reviews of the ASUS monitor at that time. Perhaps it could even be better than the u2410. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236119

14. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Response times are nowadays measured as Gray-to-Gray but this is only one aspect of the response time in the real world. So basically, a manufacturer can just focus research and development on Gray-to-Gray improvements and neglect the other aspects, even though the Gray-to-Gray aspect alone says squat about picture quality. The reason why manufacturers have chosen Gray-to-Gray measurements is because, of all of the aspects, it's the cheapest one to accurately (half accurately) measure while most of the other aspects are not even always applicable, depending on the panel technology and implementation used in the consumer product.

So manufacturers can cheat but that's not all of it yet. To make matters worse, not every human is equally susceptible to the negative effects of a bad response time. Some say they don't see motion blur on most LCD displays rated 5 ms, whereas some say they need 2 ms. But even if you don't seee motion blur, it's still possible the negative effects, although invisible to you, will start to kick in after you've been non stop gaming on the display for several hours. And bad response time is also not the only thing that causes eyestrain, by the way. The best piece of advice I can offer you is: use your own eyes.

15. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    ^^QFT
    Again QFT.

If choosing a CPU/MB/GPU/RAM is easy because you look at some graphs and then in your wallet, choosing a case, a monitor or some audio equipment is purely a subjective choice because we all have different tastes and perceptions. :)

16. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    I am going to hit best buy up for comparison but I doubt they will have any 120hz moniters or Dell IPS.

17. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    I'm going to have to say go for the IPS panel. If you can find an HP ZR24w they are quite good for gaming with a decent response time and excellent colour.

18. vurt

vurt Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I just bought an IPS, the HP LP2475w, really happy with my purchase. I was first looking at the Dell u2410, but it seemed less impressive from reading numerous reviews and user comments about both screens.

Very good response time (for some reason it looks more fluid than on my old 2ms Benq - a TN screen that has gotten many positive comments from gamers and in reviews regarding its response time) and very good blacks (better than the other IPS screens from what i've understood).

The image is very "3D" which is usuallly what i look for to judge game/video quality. With my old TN the picture was very flat in comparison. Colors really stands out without being oversaturated.

19. superweapons

superweapons Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 Core 216
    You may want to consider the Dell U2311H. It too uses an IPS panel but it costs a lot less. Instead of the H-IPS found in the U2410, the U2311H utilizes an E-IPS panel which requires less backlight power, hence the significantly reduced price. Image quality is slightly lower, but it still beats the heck out of any TN panel. When it's on sale, it's usually in the low $200's (purchasing directly from Dell), a no-brainer for anyone considering a mid-range TN monitor. Of course, you've got the money to go for a nicer U2410, but it's still worth considering the other option of buying two U2311H's when they drop down again.

According to TFTCentral, the U2311H's effective response time (accounting for RTC and everything else) is as good as the U2410's.

20. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    +1 on the u2311h, Im using one and I love it! the difference between the u2311h and my TN panel monitor in the office (Samsung 2233) is definitely noticeable especially since I do a lot of 3d modelling..As for games, my u2311h is fine playing BC2 and my other fps games so the response time isnt an issue