Intel Haswell to arrive in low volume until USB 3.0 issue is fixed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Or another way to say we are selling faulty chips !!

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I will part with any cash until the problems are fully resolved! I need a new case too! :D

4. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Disgusting.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Bah, guess i'm gonna have to wait even longer.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    help me all these from the beginning problems, can't be fixed with just a bios update.? if not, why.?

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I dont even use my usb 3, it disabled in bios.

speeds up my boot process when it disabled, so even if I had a haswell chip that had the issue it wouldnt bother me.

I dont even use sleep mode.

8. {LOD}PITBULL

{LOD}PITBULL Guest

GPU:
    AMD 290x
    Hi WE are Intel WE are going to over charge you and you are going to PAY...lol. But wait we also Put out Faulty chips which you will Also pay for.. Suckers... lol.

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I hate to break it to you guys but every single processor ever made has some form of errata. I mean yeah this is more serious obviously, but if you think they haven't' sold you "faulty" chips in the past you're sorely mistaken.

10. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    companies do it...

I had compaq computer that wouldnt actually save power in sleep mode because the psu where cheap and didnt have sleep mode. the motherboard would go into sleep mode, but the psu stayed on.

11. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Just a stupid question, how many people here use PC sleep mode/resume with USB 3 drive connected and used by an application while going to sleep?

Moreover, just restarting the applications or unplug replug the drive could do the trick. For me it is clearly a minor issue since I only have Sata external drives :)

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im going to get it anyway, i dont use usb3 and hardly put cpu to sleep so its not a big deal for me. :)

13. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Minor issue, I'm holding out cuz I wanna see NUMBERS, NUMBERS!!!! I LIKE NUMBERS!!!!

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Based on the way you're wording that, fault is a relative, maybe even opinionated term. For example, the Phenom II x6 can sometimes outperform an 8-core FX processor, where you could consider the FX to be at fault when really it just isn't optimized for that particular task; the FX isn't worse than the Phenom. In a situation like this, a more suitable word would be deficient or regression.

So, perhaps what you meant to say is every chip ever sold has deficiencies/regressions, because it is simply un-realistic to have 1 chip be good at everything.

If you really do mean that every chip has had a fault, what were the fault(s) of Sandy Bridge or Core 2 Duo or Athlon II? I'm not saying those didn't have faults, but I simply haven't heard of any. And by faults I mean in ways the chip was intended to be used, so faults in overclocking don't count.

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Will the Haswell CPU's work with existing X79 chipsets?

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm not talking about performance characteristics, I'm talking about processor errata. Intel documents it on the release of every stepping. Certain programming functions will literally be broken on certain processors. For instance Intel had a TLB bug in it's MMU on Core 2 which would cause hardlock ups of the processor when performing certain operations.

Here is an example of the documentation that Intel releases for programming around errata:

http://download.intel.com/design/mobile/SPECUPDT/31407918.pdf

If you scroll down to page 40 you can see the list of all the problems and workarounds for them.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2477/2

Anandtech did its own write up on the AMD version of the TLB errata.

Most of these problems aren't seen by end users because developers are aware and make changes in order to fix, or they are fixable via bios/microcode updates. This USB3 problem I guess is more significant and cannot be fixed via these methods but by a new stepping. But to pretend like processors never have problems and Intel is just now selling a faulty chip is nonsense.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  17. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    I do. Seems pretty inconvenient for the bleeding edge. Think I'd rather wait till they ironed out this problem before considering it.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    You're right.

I'm not using Sleep Mode either, nor USB 3.0 on my current motherboard. (But that's because i can't route them to my front panel) I do have a USB 3.0 External HDD and Thumb Drive tho, but i'm a patient person :p

I think ill just go for Haswell as soon as they are out. By that time my current CPU hits 3,5 years of age, it's time to retire.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Haswell has 1150 pins, x79 has 2011 pins.

20. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Intel: "Haswell is going to be relased... sometime. It's not like we have to check our release dates against AMD's anymore roflmao"