IEEE study group to research 400Gbps Ethernet

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 3, 2013.

1. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Off topic, but move to a small town or village and see what you get! City folk, pah!:)

2. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    haha Ill pass on the country village, brought up in one couldn't wait to get out.
    sorry for offtopic..

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Its being dealt with by my ISP (BE).
    Basically, all of a sudden my router will disconnect every few minutes and it will do this for a while, then it stops and everything is fine for days.
    2 BT engineers have been round and done a whole battery of tests on the line and found nothing wrong at all.
    They have replaced the master socket and filters too.

BE have monitored the line from their end many many times.
    They gave me a new modem, that didnt stop the problem.
    They replaced the hardware in the exchange.
    They have reduced the line speed, but it still happens.
    Its so intermittent, they just cant catch it.

I've tried connecting different phones to the line.

My case has been running with them for about 4 months now and they have really tried hard.
    Its just a b'stard of a phone line.
    I also have friends call and sometimes the phone doesnt ring.
    Grrr.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    last i checks USA/Canada are behind the times japan/china get 500mbps for less then most of us pay for 50mbps unless that was internet rumor started by some government official. There was an article about this month? or so back on Gamespot With some Government official saying this

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Are u using the modem as your router as well?

Because the modem which ISP's deliver are kind of... well crappy in the router departement. I've had a few cases similar to this, copper tests all fine, xDSL error testing, fine, just random disconnects or reboots of the modem. One of these customers was a programmer working at home with a **** ton of open VPN connections.

I solved those cases by turning off the ISP's modem router function and using a stand-alone cisco, d-link, ... router behind it, using the external ip (bridged connection, PPPoE is being done by the router behind the ISP's modem).

In those cases, the user was just putting to much stress on the router functionality of the ISP's modem or just a bug in the firmware causing it (MCafee had a bug with some Sagem modems).

Also get a seperate power socket for the modem just to make sure (no coupler).

If you haven't done that yet, give it a whirl.

It's also easier for Europe/Japan since alot of areas are more densely populated. It would probably work however in the US for areas like New York though.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I live near the heart of the greater city area and this crap is what I get:
    [​IMG]

It's artificially bloated as well by "Turbo" nonsense, the real speed is 28Mb/s or 3.5MB/s.

There is no up side:
    1 - It's not consistent, early mornings (2am to 6am) when Rogers Communications do maintenance it goes down without warning and by the time you contact anyone to complain it's back up and they claim it was never anything on their end. That does not mean it comes back up quickly, it sometimes goes down for hours at a time.

2 - The cost is ridiculous for the snail speed and constantly goes up, it's something like $15/m more than it used to be, no competition means Rogers decides the prices.

3 - It's bandwidth capped, but luckily I get it through a reseller which gives a 300GB limit rather than 60-85GB.

4 - The support might as well not exist.

Any time any of you think your internet is crap, just be happy you're not in Canada.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

According to that article it had nothing to do with they cant it was more of they wont and dont want to, they would never want to offer 500mbps for that price why would they want to they would lose money and even if they did they would want to charge 100$ if not way more a month seeing most place want 60$+ a year for just 15 or 50.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    It is a modem/router, I feed a single network connection out to a switch.
    The problem is with the line itself, the old modem was tripped up by it periodically as well, that modem used to crash quite often due to the disconnections.
    I've tried different power sockets, also there is nothing else plugged in near it.
    Everything here is clean as a whistle now.

The line is under investigation, the case is being held open for 2 weeks.

One thing that contributes sometimes is, the phone filters allow the broadband signal to be heard.
    When a filter is plugged in from cold, I cant hear the modem.
    A day later, I can and then it sometimes causes the modem to disconnect when I use the phone.
    I've tried a TON of different filters and BT installed a new master socket with filters, they do the same as well.
    I've also seen this happen round other peoples houses.
    I dont mind this though, I can put up re connections when on the phone.

However, even with the phone+extension completely disconnected, other modem disconnections still occur.
    My phone line hates me lol.

9. Rebel975

Rebel975 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX680 SC+

Or in any rural area in the US? I work at an ISP where the average connection is 1.5mb/.384mb. These are people who have the choice between dialup, wireless, or satellite. They can only dream about a 30mb connection.

10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    There are rare cases where splicers have to fix a line that at a first glance doesn't show a single error. But in those cases I had to call in and answer a buckload of questions and it was basically a last resort thing as they had to send an expert splicer and not the normal kind.

Splicers are also quite costly for the ISP so hence why they're usually the last resort :p

You could put a RJ11 socket on the intro cable and plug that into the modem and get a really long UTP cable towards the switch (you won't be able to use the phone for a while). Use that for a few days, that'll defo make sure it's not the cabling in your house (and after that they might also be more likely to send a splicer xD).

In practice (not in lab situations or in theory), densely populated areas and cities really do affect it. More cabinets, more exchange points, more cables, ... the end result is that the distance between the customer and the source is just alot smaller whereas in rural areas it's just not worth the expenses and they're pretty much stuck with dated technology (gets replaced eventually but at a slower pace) or distances that are just huge.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

11. ayakaza

ayakaza Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6800 XT
    Fastest you can get in Quebec is 200mbps but its also 200$ ...

12. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    100mbit fiber connection is cheap for mansions in Japan. I pay around $40 / month. No bandwidth or any other limits.
    ADSL gets somewhat obsolete, even outside of cities its recommended switching to 100mbit fiber.

Is it something like this outside?-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ilMx7k7mso

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    hah I with verizon dsl 10+ years in flood zone So lines in the area are crap, my 3mbps connection regularly turns into SUB dialup speeds. Its either verizon DSL and it insanely slow speed compared to most every other type or broadband or Optimum Which claims the area can get 50 mbps Gona see how much that is true seeing after wait for 3+ years for fios to hit my area i broke down to switch to cable. last time i had any type of cable there services was atrocious I hope that is fixed cause if I gona still being paying about same price the service and speed better be there.

as for the 400gbps most people dont even come close to saturating the 1gbps that is widely available. Business are another story I sure they could benefit from this. Normal user not so much.

Isnt it great capitalism at is best. we pay more for less and japan/china pay less for more ****ing bastard governments and business that control them governments or well pay em off it probably both .

14. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    FTTD and 400GB ethernet LAN. :D However it'll be quite expensive equipment to have home.. atleast in the beginning.

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    What really is an eye opener is the forecast of 1tbps speeds needed as early as 2015.. should be interesting to see what kind of data rates are available over the next decade.