AMD out of CPU business!?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by TyrantofJustice, Dec 4, 2013.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    http://www.techpowerup.com/195355/vishera-end-of-the-line-for-amd-fx-cpus-roadmap.html

We'd feared something like this would happen for some time now, but leaked AMD product roadmaps confirmed it that AMD FX "Vishera" is the last line of CPUs from AMD. The company will only focus on APUs from here onward, and at the very most, one could expect CPU core counts to go up from their current quad-core stale-meat since A-series "Llano," which will continue into the 2014 A-Series "Kaveri," too.

The alleged AMD roadmap slide leaked to the web by ProHardver.hu points out that socket AM3+ "Vishera" will exist on AMD's product stack for as far as AMD's eye can see - looking deep into even 2015. Unless AMD is planning on hanging its towel with AM3+, it wouldn't mark its roadmap slide out in this way. 2015 will see the introduction of "Carrizo," an APU that succeeds "Kaveri," which will be based on future-generation "Excavator" CPU micro-architecture, and a future-generation GPU architecture, along with full HSA programming model implementation. "Kabini" will have its spell running into mid-2014, at which point "Beema" will succeed it.

Unless AMD is planning on 6-core, and 8-core APUs with "Carrizo," (we know that "Kaveri" is neither,) the roadmap reveals that AMD has given up on making processors that are pricier than $150. The company could focus its client products division onto APUs and GPUs, while multi-core processors could be kept alive by the enterprise products division under the Opteron banner, although we've not seen roadmaps to back that theory.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    They are probably waiting for DDR4 before they out their next high end CPUs. They will probably end up using only one socket in the future.

Majority of Intel CPUs have integrated GPU too. Next high end AMD CPUs might too.

3. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Honestly I can see them leaving the CPU market and focusing on APU market also GPU's as well.

But we all know the down side that will or could come with that.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I wouldn't say they're quitting the CPU business just because their conventional "high end" processor line is being phased out. It's not like an APU always has to be a low end product. Take the 4770K for example, it has integrated graphics and is an amazing CPU on top of that.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    There is no downside. Intel hasn't had any competition in the desktop market in over 7 years. They've had ample opportunity to raise CPU prices and haven't done so. So If AMD did drop out, I can pretty much guarantee prices are going to remain the same.

6. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    ^ your right ,there really has not been any competition for a good while now.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    could be bad intel will be only cpu company left in the game that makes desktop cpu this would be bad for prices, and even worse for R&D

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Not true. Intel is in a race against ARM right now, so the pace of technology isn't going to slow down one bit. However, the traditional "enthusiast market" might certainly become neglected.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Why?

I see SteamRoller, Excavator.. Its just in hybrid form kinda like intel is been doing since Sb in mainstream..

Guess they saw a big interest in huma and that needs extra igpu for it. I just hope those Rollers and Excavators are gonna be 8core cpus.

10. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Bulldozer was supposed to be the last solo cpu from AMD. Komodo was supposed to be released in 2012 with integrated DX 11 graphics. So AMD is two years late in offering nothing but an apu. This was from November of2010.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-fusion-brazos-performance,2790-7.html

Edit: This just states that they were able to garner more cash flow from the "plain" cpu market longer than expected.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don't see this as a big deal AMD has not really had anything with the FX line. Now imagine an APU with 8 steamroller "cores" and 12-16 GCN cores (768-1024 shaders) that would be a killer setup and able to hybrid CF with a discreet GPU. The APU department is much more promising at the moment for AMD than the CPU department.

12. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I am not really surprised by this, and its pretty much what I feared. Good thing I jumped on the 8320 while it was on sale lol. No point in wasting time waiting for Steamroller to roll around ;)

For me to have any interest in Steamroller or beyond, it would have to be 6 cores or more. I doubt the IPC of the SR modules will be good enough to make them blaze like a strong i5 can. It is the multi-threading that makes this architecture perform and with 4 cores or less, I don't see it breaking any records.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD isn't giving up on CPUs....lol. An APU is still a CPU. Just ask Intel.

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Blimey you guys stop panicking ...

Intel essentially has got an APU ever since Sandy Bridge, these are just named processors.

Yes AMD is shifting away from 'raw' processors without an IGP, but they are intensifying processors with an IGP. So both Intel and AMD have APUs now. The challenge for AMD will be to get the processor side of the APU faster though.

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Aren't we expecting a significant jump in performance with Kabini?

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    It is (should be) significant, but Intel is 2x as fast per core right now in the i7 segment. Then again, on the IGP side, AMD hauls azzz.

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah, since the core 2 duos came out all them years ago, AMD have been out of it, so can't see this making a difference, as if Intel were going to move, by jacking up prices etc...., they would have done it long before now.

18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    All this about no competition is simply not true!

Lots of people on these forums have AMD cpus. Lots of people everywhere have AMD cpus. Why? Because they do compete in a certain sector of the market.

If AMD stop making CPUs, the speed of new CPU development by Intel will slow to a crawl and prices of CPUS will go up, absolutely no question about it.

If AMD drop out, the next rival to Intel will come from the East.

19. glutto

glutto Master Guru

GPU:
    6650 XT 8GB
    I have both an FX-8350 and an A10-5800k + 7790.
    The FX was to be my main rig and the A10 a multipurpose server.
    I've found myself running the A10 as my main machine 24/7 and the FX is shut down.

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Seems smart imo, i mean whats intel released of late thats of any real perf increase, sure you can pack some new features in there, but really.

2600k represent!!!

In saying that though, ive never read into api's so dont really have a clue as to what im talking about.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013