I will not provide modded drivers for the future.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LeeKM, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Hello everyone,

This post has come to my attention.

Everyone involved in any AMD driver modifications understand that AMD cut off the support for the so called "legacy/modern" switchable graphics in favour of the new models.
    That is the market we are in and we understand it. However, how can a 1-2, year old laptop suddenly become "legacy"?
    And what should the casual user do then?

The effort of people such as LeekM, V-FrIeNd, Leshcat, Donovan6000, Dellon123, Wagnard, the community and others I haven't mentioned, allows the users an opportunity to extend their laptop's life cycle and enjoy some new games/browsing with acceptable framerates, as well as receive normal bugfixing.

Take the 5xxx series for which none of the new drivers work properly for switching without a black screen, support was cut for them very early on whilst still being considered modern during the 6xxxm days.

It requires an incredible oversight dealing with the different switching technologies that AMD decides to break/re-add (or not fix) in combo with Intel, but as long as people are modding and trying to understand how this works the community benefits!

Whilst many are frustrated with the companies involved in this, we cannot let this get in our way in trying to help others out!

There have been many projects in our time;

Nvidia had an era where mobile users had 0 support and laptopvideo2go had a CRUCIAL role through their mods and support in offering people a prolonged product.

Now we have several modders who are trying to reach a base of people to improve the experiences of others, be it via BIOS mods, Driver switchable adjustment, performance fixes, oem specific mods, cleaners...

Hopefully AMD will also turn a corner but this will not be possible without voices and the support we give to each other.

LeeKM, don't stop modding just because of misunderstandings, difficulties with AMD have all brought us here, and we should go on working on resolution for as long as we can.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    There needs to be a history state for posts so if a user goes and deletes content in a post and an Admin feels that content should remain the Admin can then revert the post to it's previous state.

Also, the ability to lock separate posts so a user cannot change content again.

3. V-FrIeNd

V-FrIeNd Guest

GPU:
    GTX 750Ti
    don’t get discouraged :pray2pc:

4. atoneapone

atoneapone Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6650M +6520g/ 1GB
    Yes lets hope for the future that everything here passes and someone continues making modded drivers for us Llano users that need working switchable gfx menus.
    But if it is true about LeekM leaving, then he will be missed and always be remembered. Thank You Leekm for all your hardwork for nearly a year & helping us see the best game performance days of our laptops.

Now only other modders on guru3d will decide the fate & future of our laptop graphic drivers...so to all modders, Bless you all.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014

5. Starks

Starks Guest

GPU:
    MSI AGP 6600GT VIVO
    Wow. It's amazing how shat this bed now is.

You guys wanted Mantle on muxless laptops?

Well, good luck with that.

Probably the stupidest thing I've seen here in the last 10 years.

6. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    No realistic attempt at modding will give you Mantle on muxless laptops, it seems.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, I do not own APU on desktop and APU in notebook. Simply because they had inside experimental and for me "legacy" vliw4 architectures like HD6950/70/90.
    (and now I am waiting for kaveri based notebook without dGPU)

Most of those notebooks out there now are simply children of experiments which somewhat worked. And everyone who looked upon them before purchase knew that.

This low support from AMD is simply because AMD can't afford to follow all their experiments, but has to push forward successful ones instead.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I've unlocked his account, so it is up to LeekM on how he responds.

9. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Uh... why exactly? Most of the new laptops are muxless and have a GCN chip, so it's only natural to want Mantle for muxless laptops. What's so dumb about that?

10. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Saying that laptop drivers should only be gotten from the manufacturer is all well and good but not always workable. For example, my older HP laptop could not play Half-Life 2 Episode 2 because it was impossible to get out of the wrecked train car using the available HP driver. I had to use a mobility driver from AMD to be able to play the game.

Saying that desktop drivers should only come from the manufacturer is just ludicrous. They should come from the manufacturer of the specific hardware component, not from who made the whole computer. I have always saluted those who could modify drivers to improve performance or fix bugs. I used Omega video drivers for years because they were better than the official ATI/AMD ones.

I do agree, however, that bashing AMD is not serving any useful purpose and was responsible for their responses. Cooler heads should prevail and driver modders should continue their efforts.

11. Elite3540

Elite3540 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G OC
    That sucks man, I'm truly gratefull for providing a 14.x driver for SG users..

Well, yeah.. the good things will go away some time I guess.

Goodluck in irl, LeekM.

And I'll hope you'll come again with a peacefull free spirit to give us good modded drivers again.

12. SagaX

SagaX Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7450m 1GB
    Its only coz of LeeKM then I am able to use SG option on new AMD drivers for my Llano laptop.. AMD didn't even care to fix it.. If Lee can fix it then why can't AMD fix it ?? Lazy , complete disregard for customers , if you ask me..

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Even if he did something worse than just "bashing AMD",
    the guy who mods their driver giving it functionality beyond what AMD is prepared - should be able to get away with it.

Not trying to steer the discussion in any inappropriate direction, just voicing my opinion. Is that OK :)

BTW his Enduro thread with that famous image of NV vs AMD burning car race, only this time conveniently edited, was hilarious.
    Even more so when ppl started complaining that that wasn't the original image.
    LOL rly? :3eyes: like we didn't know that already

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
  15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

The thread in-question that was deleted was the most pointless thread I've ever seen. It was the best description of vague I've also seen too.

I really can't recall the exact wording, but it was LeekM and someone else complaining about AMD, while not describing anything specific whatsoever (well, the other person did state he had a laptop; that's about it for specifics). There wasn't even mention of a driver. And note, he took the time to create the thread too, not post in another pre-existing thread.

I'd expect such a post/thread from "non-contributing childish fanboys", not someone who takes the time to provide great modded drivers for others and tries to help people out.

This is a driver forum, not a kiddie playground. We're supposed to be providing feedback of AMD's drivers while also respecting others. I'm not saying negative feedback isn't welcome, but you should at least be constructive about it imo.

Saying something along the lines of "AMD drivers are terrible and I'm going green" is not constructive at all. All it does is leave room for further trolling, total thread derailment, and doesn't do anything useful for people who are actually curious about the state of AMD/drivers. Also note that whatever problem specifically that person is experiencing to call said drivers terrible isn't even known, and for all he knows, it could be a simple fix.

However, saying "AMD drivers are terrible because my GPU clock shifts all the time and I have massive stuttering" is constructive. This gives people room to offer suggestions and their own feedback, and maybe even a definitive fix.

TLDR: Nobody should be above proper forum etiquette, in my opinion anyway.

Edit:
    That thread there is another perfect example of how to be non-constructive and vague, but not nearly as-bad as the deleted thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2014

16. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Do you really care about the fluff and noise or about the real meat (modded drivers)
    He's clearly not the most cool headed guy, but that combined with the fact that he's not a troll, but someone who really cares and is genuinely upset is what's funny, but harmlessly so.

You same as me, both having desktop cards are only spectators in his threads.
    Bottom line: I've seen nothing but appreciation for him from those with Enduro systems

17. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    now moding amd drivers is starting tho become a war.I wil downloading moded drivers on the same and sometimes modidng them myself i dont realy care abaut amd crapy drivers ful of bugs since when perfecting garbage other guys pruduce its a crime? Moding forever

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I had Lee in high esteem till his 1st outburst, it was pretty big one and I was not expecting him to do such thread. That was quite long time ago (few months).

I took it as everyone can snap time to time from frustration. But this continued long and often enough to become habit.
    It is not bad thing to give LeeKM chance to self reflect and decide of he'll not be happier by giving up on things he is doing to keep better mood.

I guess he may create thread about his modding method and details which he learned from it. Which I believe many would appreciate and then he could quit as he did enough by making it work for some time and giving others way to continue.

19. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    should have had a monkey in the amd car, not the no driver ;)
    But the truth hurts sometimes, I've always believed that AMD has the better cards but are crippled by the drivers, I jump from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on whats best card for the price at the time, i always hesitate at AMD cards because of the drivers. Yes they have got much better lately.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Should have seen whole image:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.