persistent bug:

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by onemoar, Apr 3, 2013.

1. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    this bug has been in existence for a awhile now I would have figured unwinder would have caught it after over a year but I guss ill make a thread

if you have previously setup a custom 2D/3D profile with something like atitray or Trix then install afterburner without toggling amds own overclocking option in ccc afterburner locks the clock limits to the wrong values
    ie I had a 2d Profile of 400/800 for my 6870 installed a rebooting and afterburner now is stuck with a maximum limit of 600/1040 for overclocking it also defaults to the pervious clock settings i had set with ATItray
    requiring me to clean install amds drivers and ccc to get it to reset the clock limits to the right values I suggest unwinder needs to get the default clocks from the vga bios and not from the driver

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is AMD driver's job to report proper defaults in any state including overclocked one. MSI Afterburner is a driver level tool, it never worked with graphics card at VGA BIOS level and it never will be able to extract defaults from BIOS bypassing the druver. I suggest AMD users to expect correct programming from AMD driver team (which is safly nonsense) instead of asking third parties to add workarounds for bad AMD programming.

3. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    lol
    true enough I figured it was a AMD issue bah back to ATT for me as I can't get AB to behave how I want it to witch is
    1. Power play completely gone and use my custom profiles and have it switch when I want it to I know I can do this in AB but it requires the statistics server to be running and its not reliable (doesn't change modes effectively and causes a weird flicker every now in then)

2. voltage control ( I know my card is not fully programmable but ATT lets me select either 0.950v or 1.175 I can't seem to make AB do this
    3. application specific clock-profiles
    downside is that ATT is long in the tooth and has some weird stablity issues if you go and start poking it with a stick

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  4. Unwinder

Np, stay with ATT and we'll continue evolving unreliable RTSS ;)))

5. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    don't know what to tell you on 3 different machines RTSS gives me grief with the detection routines when it comes to reliably changing clock profiles on the fly either it doesn't pick up some apps or it switches profiles for no reason or it just doesn't drop back to my 2D profile

ill never understand the logic behind power-play its a retarded system a IC is most efficient when its running at full speed the faster it can do its job the faster it can get throttle back down to a lower power state more then two P states just don't work you waste more power changing voltages then you do just running the chip at full throttle when you need todo work

6. Unwinder

A bit of learning curve, examing and learning profiles and blacklisted apps and everything works as intended. That "unrealiavle" system was born ages ago in RT when ATT was not even born. Anyway, app X vs app Y discussions is the last thing I'd like to see here.

7. onemoar

onemoar Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060SC @2250/4550
    iv tried every combination of profiles and settings that I could the clock switching just doesn't behave on my AMD systems guess I need to buy from green next upgrade cycle
    ./thread

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013