Samsung Exec Bashes Windows 8

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    A Samsung executive this week likened Microsoft's new Windows 8 operating system to Vista, the criticized OS put out by Redmond several years ago in between its far more successful Windows XP and Win...

Samsung Exec Bashes Windows 8

2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I'd have to agree with him. I tried Windows 8 & hated it, upgraded to Windows 7!

3. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Same here... I've got my laptop and my PC running Win7 x64 and my older computer running XP x64. All good and smooth, no need to buy an (for me) almost unusable OS.

4. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Before this turns south.

Meaning, as far as hardware goes, the average person who bought a new Win7 machine a few years ago has no reason to buy a new Windows 8 machine. If anything, they'll just install Windows 8 on the machine they already have.

Samsung seems to be pissed they couldn't sell some more ram this OS round too if I read that right. They shouldn't worry, DDR4 is almost here.

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It's not that I hate it, because I don't. I just don't have any need to upgrade.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It does nothing better than 7 except start and shut down quicker .. and that god awful shoehorned interface!

7. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    I actually like it and it's faster.

8. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    "I think the Windows 8 system is no better than the previous Windows Vista platform,"

Funny guy. Now we are all using W7 as the greatest OS of all times, and the truth is it has very few improvements over Vista. Almost all key technology was already in Vista and were just polished for W7. The same will happen again. W9 will be seen as great, even if it really is going to have mostly polished W8 features.

9. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    His say'd that from an economical point of view, and he is right, but the problem is that the smartphone and tablet take allot from PC sales.

10. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Linking it to Vista, cool (Vista after the 1st SP was fantastic) - Windows 7 is just Windows Vista with an extra SP and renamed Windows 7 because the name "Vista" never recovered from all the unjust bad articles about it (even to this day).

On a serous note though, after reading the article I'd hardly say "Samsung Exec Bashes Windows 8", he seems to just talk about the lack of uptake and I can't actually see anything I'd refer to as actual bashing.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Speak for yourself, it can take up to 6 clicks to shut down Windows 8 without any programs running. Windows 7 can be as little as 2.

12. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    6 clicks?, how do you mange that in Windows 8?, the most it takes is 3 clicks - hover over charms (same as hover over start button) - click settings, click power, click shutdown.

In my case it takes 1 - click shutdown tile :)D).

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    My experience was from the beta, but IIRC, it would take that many clicks if you were at the start screen. Also, I consider a hover to be a click since it does the same thing but takes longer.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Wtf .. I wasn't talking about the number of clicks to initiate the process.

15. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'll be sticking with 7. Vista was useable with one tweak (UAC), but 8 I cannot stand.

16. Major Melchett

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    A hover is a click now?. So I ask, are you adding your hover over start button to your 2 clicks? (it takes me the same time to hover over start as it does to show the charms bar).

Basically you've just made it 1 click extra for each of use, 3 clicks for Win 7 and 4 clicks for Win 8.
    ---
    Anyways, let's be honest - this is kinda irrelevant and will just go round in circles - so lets agree to disagree.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If hovering over a menu or clicking on it gives you the same results, then yes, a hover is basically the same thing as clicking. For example in the classic menu you could either click on a program menu to immediately expand it, or you could hover the mouse and wait a full second for it to expand. Like I said, I haven't tried Windows 8 since the beta so they might have fixed this, or maybe the hover action operates differently than what I'm thinking. Also keep in mind i'm saying UP TO 6 clicks, because depending on where you are in Windows 8, many OS-based actions can take less clicks than others.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    3 click to turn it off, slide mouse to right corner

1. click - settings
    2. click - power
    3. click - shut down

or 1 click on desktop
    alt+f4, window pops up asking what to do, its set to shut down by default

1. click - ok button

:p

19. General Stalin

General Stalin Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD6990
    It takes no clicks because Windows machines have supported soft-power for over a decade now. Just press your power button once (if you are on a laptop, make sure your power settings are set to power off on power button press) and it gracefully shuts down. Sheesh.

Anyway, whether or not Windows 8 is "Microsoft's best OS yet" is irrelevant if people don't pick it up. Vista was a bomb because it was a faulty system at launch and held that stigma because the buzz everywhere was "Vista sucks." Windows 8 may be great, but the buzz has already been shelled out: "It's made or touch screens/tablets, not desktops/laptops" "Windows 7 was better; no need to upgrade" etc.

Windows 7 still feels "new" and fresh. No one has any incentive to hop onto a new Windows OS. That's just my two cents from what I've been seeing around the web and around my office and friends.

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I disagree. I've spoken to a number of reps working at best buys, Fry's, etc, and they all give me a 75-85% of people who are impressed by, or at least willing to try, Windows 8.

Yeah, you guys aren't, I don't care. I'm saying, most people generally are, I think.

I believe that the problem stems from a lot less from the UI and a lot more from the fact that computer sales are flat, or declining.

You're just not going to see the same adoption rates now as you would when growth was huge. People are buying tablets and using their phones in lieu of their PCs for many tasks.