New C++ Installer released [Hassle free uninstaller/reinstaller]

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by CPC_RedDawn, Sep 30, 2014.

1. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Thanks updated OP :)

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thanks. :)

3. akbaar

akbaar Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUFF 3080 12Gb
    Thanks.

4. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Thank you so much! :)

5. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    I don't understand. I uploaded the Visual C++ Redist Installer V51.exe to virustotal and get 3 hits. Then I unzipped them, rezipped them and uploaded them again, 0 hits. Gg virustotal.

6. Coldblackice

Coldblackice Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3
    Can anyone share some of the benefits from updating these runtimes? Ideally something tangible/actual ("X runs Y percent faster, no more crashes by Z"), rather than just theoretical (i.e., "Everything should be more stable/updated").

I want to believe (and I install regardless, because updating), but curious for reference sake! :)

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    benefits are it install all the VC++ files you will need, each update keep them all updated and it fixes windows weird permissions issues.

All in 1 packages

It wont make things run faster or stop crashs less crashes were related to corrupt broke vc files

8. Warkratos

Warkratos Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Just a curiosity, when I install some softwares, like Afterburner or Games on steam, they install an older version of C++ Redist.
    If I update those packages with this executable, they'll use the newer version or I'll have some problem with them?

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Steam installs VC redists into folder with game (i.e. locally) so that game uses them instead of redists in system folders (installed globally). Installer from thatguy91 installs redists globally.
    How Afterburner installs redists I don`t know.

PS I wrote and gave to thatguy91 little tool app to find all those redists in local folders (like in Steam`s games ones) and either rename them to let programs use globally installed redists (with optional removal of renamed files - to save disk space) or replace them with globally installed redists (some programs glitch if they do not find redists near the exe-file).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    steam will install it own files which are probably older then aio installer version at this point, Steam will also install those VC in same exactly place the AIO installs them, it does not actual put the VC files in the steam games folder., maybe some old games do that still but most new games do not.

Steam will override what is installed by AIO too, which why I delete the redist folder in all my steam game folders, before even launching the games for first time.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I phrased it wrong - it was not about redists shipped in redist folder, it was about dll-files installed by game installer. And it was not only about Steam - many apps just copy redists into folder with exe-file. There are no strict rules concerning the local or global installation.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    most games dont have such dll files in them anymore atlest not new ones atlest not the ones i have, old games yea if the files are in the game it self the game will use that version instead of the systems.

Would think dev's would of stopped doing that,

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    There are reasons for a local installation. App is shipped with redists it was developed and tested. App doesn`t depend on user`s actions with globally installed redists. If app gets deleted redists go too (and do not impact other apps which depend on globally installed redists).

14. Coldblackice

Coldblackice Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3
    Is there benefit to using a more update version than what the app/game shipped with? If so, what benefit might be had?

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Have used the VC_Bin_Remover to remove all the localized VC dlls in each program folder. That way there is just one set on the pc that is used; the ones mentioned earlier as being globally installed. Also before playing any steam game for the first time, I have started to delete all the DX and VC install files. Games run perfectly fine without them getting installed over and over again. The VC_Bin_Remover just renames the files and will reverse the renaming if an issue presents itself. So far have yet to encounter an issue that required the renaming to be reversed.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you tried updated version? Essentially two new features were implemented - (1) removing backed up (renamed) original dll files on demand, and (2) replacing original dll files (after back up ofc) with updated versions from system folders.

Only 2 benefits - saving disk space and bug fixes in functions. Most of fixes made to VC redists are concerned about security, as I understand. I do not track update log of VC redists, so I remember only a security fixes. But I am sure there are no performance improvements.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  17. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
  18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Used V2 when setting up this Ryzen build. Did not try the new features. Will try them out when reinstalling the OS for RS2.

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So noticed the follow tasks in my Win10 1703 install

".NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 64 Critical"
    ".NET Framework NGEN v4.0.30319 Critical"

Are these not ran by Easy NGEN? Running option 1 it removes the normal tasks but not these, IF I run them manually from Task scheduler it just disables the tasks or atlest it does for me.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  20. jhumur

jhumur Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 8 GB
    So I just run the "Visual C++ Redist Installer V51.exe" from my desktop? No other files needed?