AMD Working on 16-Core Processor with Integrated PCI Express 3.0 Controller

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 17, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If deeper pipelines were better, AMD's FX series would easily beat Intel's Core series processors and Intel's NetBurst architecture wouldn't have been replaced by Conroe.....or been slower than AMD's K7 and K8 architectures. Fact of the matter is, shorter pipes provide better performance. Shorter pipelines mean instructions complete faster.

2. Tugrul_512bit

Tugrul_512bit Guest

GPU:
    msi_r7870hawk_asus_r7_240
    Then the main idea is just keeping all compute cells busy using the pipelining and keeping the pipeline as short as possible?

Putting a gpu inside of a cpu may have a similar reason then? Shorter ways, fewer stages between two?.

Maybe thats why Nvidia will add stacked dram in GPUs?

Then total length of data pipes between cores are important if we were to add more cores?(maybe some optimization algorithms can be used here? Like "simulated annealing" to find a golden geometry of cores and best "core to communication length" ratio?)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  3. alientorni

alientorni Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5770 (bios6770) Hawk
    cu seems more "compute units" than cpu for me, so i guess that first picture is a gpu.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    By the measure of CU, this would have 8. Also, long pipeline, BAAAAAAAD!

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    What is your problem? Stop flaming. I was correcting someone that said 3.0 wasn't even out yet when it has been.

If you seriously think 4.0 will not be needed in the path graphics cards are going soon, do some research. Maxwell is going to be pushing 2.0 big time, especially concerning what other add-in cards people are using such as SSD's.

So go puke on yourself instead.

Exactly. Less lanes more bandwidth. Its minimizing things is all. Also just like you said the more plugged in the more bandwidth is going to be used. It's not just graphics cards that eat it up.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Just wanted to say you really butchered how that meme is supposed to be worded.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  7. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Because you can run more devices at higher speed using fewer lanes.

8. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Wow! AMD is still trying to make new CPUs!?!

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As someone who owns the FX-6300, I won't be signing that petition. Steamroller seems to be the last of the "fixes" for the Bulldozer technology and will hopefully be the end of the line for DDR3. I'm thinking the amount of changes in SR is just a little too much for older chipsets to handle. This is a problem because some AM3 boards work with BD and PD AM3+ CPUs, while I get the impression some AM3+ boards don't all support PD, and it's already a headache for noobs to know which board works with what CPU. It'll also be a pain for mobo devs to update the BIOS. If people want high-end, they're going to shoot for Intel. If they want power efficiency, they still want Intel. The APUs are the only products AMD has that are actually getting them money, and while SR would make an ideal AM3+ CPU, it just isn't worth their time. I'm sure if they make a socket AM4 with Excavator, we might see some interesting results.

What I think AMD needs to do right now is release an A10 with 6 cores instead of 4. 6 seems to be the sweet spot in your average multitasking system these days, where most games only utilize 4 but the other 2 cores can be used for other tasks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
  10. War child

War child Master Guru

GPU:
    3090Ti Suprim X
    I think what he meant was that he doesn't understand why PCIe 3.0 was released in the first place, when 2.0 hadn't been saturated.