CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) Tips, Tricks and Monitors OC (LCD/LED/CRT)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thanks, the TV has no issues with 60Hz, it's just the switch over from single to extended displays that causes that black screen, once it's switched it works fine

EDIT - Works fine with 59Hz, no black cutout too, I`ll leave it on 59Hz for now and see if I notice any issues vs 60Hz, thanks

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  2. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    Nice Extradinary gonna test this with the TV as it drives me crazy anytime I switch it to the PC connection. Do you mean after the reboot or you reset-all and keep using the PC?

@ToastyX I have only gotten it to work at least show in CCC ONCE over display port to hdmi adaptor. It happened the first night I was workiing this. TBH I am not sure what all I did but it did work once. Not been able to reproduce.

I can get it working over DVI-D and HDMI. For the DVI-D make sure you check enable the DVI_D option in the HDMI data block edit options. Both the same time.

3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    @ToastyX I told you it is Working :)
    And Yes on CRT FS also tries to change dynamically refresh (but for CRT it's a bad Idea, you catch my drift?)
    and therefore you can catch this on camera NP.
    the Idea of FreeSync on CRT is a little different, here i can observe better and fluent Gameplay when FPS drops e.g. form steady 62FPS to 48FPS it's not "feels" heavy when FS is ON and kickin' :grad:

But we need to focus on LCD/LED monitors ! Yeah the Majority of Gamers uses this today :)
    I'm dino :nerd:

4. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    If you mean the "DVI dual-link" option, that does not work for me. I've never seen that option work. It's part of the HDMI standard, but the driver seems to ignore it.

I could have sworn I used to be able to add an HDMI support data block to make the driver think it's HDMI, but this is not working with the RX 480. Maybe it'll work with the R9-series cards. Strangely, it still acts like single-link DVI, so it's having some effect.

5. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    I forgot I am using that DVI-D port with a DVI-D to HDMI cable that might be the difference.

/Edit I just double checked that monitor. I am in the process of re arranging my monitors and everything on my desk. That monitor is actually detected as HDMI, fresh GPU driver install and no CRU mods done yet. ( it has no DVI port a bit older and long in the tooth these days) It has no DVI port.) Model is Samsung S24B300.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Actually just switching the refresh rate on the TV to 59Hz works fine, it is only 60Hz that causes the black screen

The reset-all.exe was just switching the TV back to 50Hz

No reboot needed, just switch to 50-59Hz

7. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    Okay, I got FreeSync working with the Catleap without a splitter. The HDMI support data block trick still works with the RX 480, but for some reason, I have to unplug the monitor from the DVI port and plug it back in before it's detected as HDMI. Then it will let me enable FreeSync. The problem is if I restart the driver or reboot, it goes back to detecting the monitor as DVI and disables FreeSync.

Strangely, this trick does not work on the HDMI port with an HDMI-DVI cable. It is always detected as DVI. This is so frustrating because this is a driver limitation, not a hardware limitation.

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    He He, same on my side FreeSync on 56Hz don't work properly but on 57Hz ! it's Kickin' arse :banana:
    Sometimes +1, sometimes -1 Do the trick :)

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Learn something new every day :) Thanks for the tip lol

10. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    I found a way to show FreeSync is working. I noticed the refresh rate changes are also affecting the mouse cursor. I think this is the most convincing evidence that it's working because the mouse cursor works independently of the demo.

I set the camera's shutter speed to 1/10. As the refresh rate increases, the camera captures more mouse cursor frames in the same amount of time.

With FreeSync on at 35 FPS, it captures 4 mouse cursor frames:
    [​IMG]

With FreeSync on at 45 FPS, it captures 5 mouse cursor frames:
    [​IMG]

With FreeSync on at 60 FPS, it captures 7 mouse cursors frames:
    [​IMG]

With FreeSync off at 35 FPS, it still captures 7 mouse cursors frames:
    [​IMG]

Notice how with FreeSync off, the mouse movement is not affected by the frame rate because the refresh rate does not change.

I also checked with VSync on, and the results did not change.

I have two videos:

With FreeSync on, you can see the gaps between the mouse cursor frames increase as the refresh rate decreases:
    http://www.monitortests.com/freesync/freesync-on.mp4

With FreeSync off, the mouse movement does not change, and you can see tearing in the windmill:
    http://www.monitortests.com/freesync/freesync-off.mp4

FreeSync really is possible with DVI, and it's working without special hardware on a monitor made in 2012.

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    I told that -> but as always some need Proof :)

Great Work ToastyX :nerd:

12. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    That is great work ToastyX, just what we needed. I wracked my brain for something to be able to show.

13. mtrai

mtrai Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RD Vega
    On a slightly different note anyone know how to enter the secret/service menu on the LG monitors just the joysticks?

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    This is rather nice bonus for AMD users. NVIDIA should start to support adaptive sync too...

15. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    So is it possible to enable it with every DVI screen natively or is it needed a driver mod?
    Or you just need the CRU freesync mod?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016

16. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I can't get this to work.
    I have a ACER V233H via DVI-D Single link cable.
    I can OC it to 65Hz from 60Hz
    Adding the data block and all doesn't enable the FreeSync toggle.
    PLEASE, help me! :(

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    First read your Monitor Specs (then you'll know what range to use e.g. 33,35-75 etc.)
    Next you need to try to force Driver to detect you Monitor as HDMI/DP HW)
    If you manage to do that it will show you FreeSync HW Capable monitor.
    As ToastyX said better to try Foce it as HDMI.
    Sometimes Adapter helps a lot (Yes i know, but its cheaper than whole new Monitor ;-))

Also you can try My Idea -> Install CCC from AMD-Catalyst-15.11.1Beta-Nov14
    it will install only CCC (Yes your Crimson and Driver will stay at 16.10.1)

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    AMD/ATI said that long time ago (when FreeSync was announced) that Gamers don't need to Pay Extra for this, thus Special HW is not needed.

Also i have said that many times:
    When gaming with FreeSync ON i have a "feeling" that i have More FPS and more Fluent Gameplay overall, even when FPS drops from 61 to 48 etc.
    It is like in this Windmill Demo with Mouse Pointer you clearly see more pointers whith FS ON than with OFF.
    Fluent 'butter' smooth Gameplay is what FreeSync gave Us :)

THX for your Contribution ! Great work :banana:

19. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Ok, I know I can do 50-65hz no problem.
    I do have a DVI to HDMI adapter, but, I can't make the driver dectect the monitor as HDMI. It still says DVI-D
    Any suggestion?

20. ToastyX

ToastyX Guest

GPU:
    S3 ViRGE
    Did you add an HDMI support data block? What video card do you have? With the RX 480, I had to unplug the monitor from the DVI port and plug it back in before it would be detected as HDMI. I had to use the DVI port. An HDMI-DVI cable wouldn't work. This might vary depending on the video card.