Regarding 59hz Bug.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Squall Leonhart, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    The 59hz itself is not actually a bug and It will not be fixed by display drivers, so stop asking.

Many of you, are of the thought that, the base refresh rate of most monitors is 60hz, However, the true frequency for most monitors is 59.94hz. Some monitors are infact true 60hz, but these are only certain models/brands.

Windows XP and Vista, both round the Refresh rate display up from 59.94, to the nearest whole number, which is 60, the same way the Config UI on a monitor, would also say 60.

Windows 7 was changed to further conform to the EDID standard, and as such many monitors will only run at 59hz (59.94 actual). The reason for this is windows no longer rounds the number to the nearest whole, though most monitors still will. (Check yourself if you like).

Many of you are having a problem with getting 60hz to stick. This is because the DDC/CI information provided from the display is telling the system that the max refresh rate is 59.94, as such only 59hz is exposed as a supported mode.

Nothing here has actually changed. Most displays have always run at between 58 and 60hz, but have just displayed the running mode as 60hz due to the rounding up.

However, some games are hard coded to only support a 60hz refresh rate. This is neither nvidia's or microsofts fault, it is a fault with the game developer for being the geniuses they are, and hard coding refresh support.

(PS, i don't know which blog, its probably internal to technet users or something)

There are several work arounds to play these games, for instance

Other then these, the only people who can fix this issue are Microsoft, and the Game developers who's oh so intelligent programmers decided to hard code refresh rate modes.

Whether to you, its a bug or not. Stop asking about it in the driver threads. ITS NOT A DRIVER BUG.

Anyone with any other work arounds to force 60hz, please post them here :)

Edit
    Someone asked for some games, lol

Games i've read/found so far to not work under 59hz are.
    BF2 (and any sequel, or game based off the BF2 engine)
    WiC (works at 59hz according to pSXAuthor)
    CoH

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. Andyus

Andyus Active Member

GPU:
    x2 Gainward 275GTX 986mb
    finally someone who sayd "its not a driver bug" =D every new release many people say, this driver fix 59hz? anyway thanks for tips

3. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    I haven't used Windows 7 yet, but when I do I'd like to know what games won't work because of this issue. Anyone know of a list or can name a few off of the top of your heads?

4. BeLGaRaTh_67

BeLGaRaTh_67 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GT680 Classified 4GB
    I would like to have a list of games that are reported not working too, as I am going to be upgrading to Win7 and don't want to run into any issues later on :(

5. blunden

blunden Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3080 TUF
    Maybe this should be a sticky? :)

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This should be stickied.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's a driver bug..:D

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    FYI, i can select 59 or 60hz, but use 59 as it seems to be better with BluRay movies, could be placebo effect though.
    [​IMG]

9. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    when i set 60 hz it just drops back 59hz heck its a bug.
    also if i force 59.885 refresh rate aka 60hz reported by os.
    it just stay altough i cant set 59 hz anymore.
    and this fixes a lot dual screen issues for me.
    since games stay to 1 refreshrate and dont force 60hz anymore while desktop is 59hz.

10. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    I dont see what the big problem is?Who cares if your desktop is 59hz or 60hz,can you really see any difference?And what games are you playing that you cant set the refresh rate in the game?:confused:

11. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    If you were to look at the info shown with your monitor's OSD, it will most likely say 60 hz, regardless of what the control panel says regarding 59 hz.

Inane whining about pointless things.

12. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    its bs i think, control panel says 59 but lcd says 60 and i see no difference between the two so no big deal really lol

13. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    WiC and CoH are affected using HDMI. If you use a stock VGA cable they are fine. I'm going to try fooling around with DDC as I haven't tried that before.

Seems to be a problem with any driver after 182.50 and these 2 games (I'm sure there are others but these are the only 2 I have experienced it with).

Eth

14. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    i care cous it gives me many issues with dual screen setup.

15. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    It may not be Nvidia's or MS fault but the simple fact is that since 185.85 and as of 190.56 this has been a problem and it renders some games unplayable. Im sure it's not difficult to have a checkbox that overides this problem (or the rounding you mentioned in XP and Vista).

Win 7 is still unreleased so it's definitely not "rant time" yet. But when it is released, some one will have to pony up and fix this (and I could care less whether it's MS, Nvidia or whoever) because breaking a pin off the connector is not now, and never will be, an acceptable solution (neither is reverting to a standard VGA connector).

Regards,

Eth

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009

16. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Funny thing is it worked fine and showed 60hz in Vista and now with Win7 its not...its showing 59hz. I remember asking yesterday in a recent driver thread if the latest beta fixed it cause ya know what....something is WRONG!

I've tried the display drivers for my Dell 24" Ultra and they are not needed since Win7 already picks it up unlike Vista and XP... but again its something with Windows7/Nvidia that won't let the 60hz stick when changed. Sure it might not harm nothing or do much at all but its a number and 1 off from where I want it to be and a selection that should work regardless of the cause.

So post all the threads about you not liking people asking or talking about it everyday for all I care..but there is a problem and some games are not playable as it is. Not to mention the suggestion about breaking a pin off a connector is just border line freakin ignorant!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't think some people are reading this, its not one number off, its not one off from where you want it to be either, ignore what the CP is telling you, what does your monitor tell you?

I personally don't see this ever getting "fixed"
    1: Because its a fix for an old bug rather than it being a bug itself.
    2: Becuase i can select 59 or 60 on two seperate W7 installations, only got it when i started fannyin about with adding custom resolutions, but i've not been able to duplicate that, and i doubt im the only person who can do this.

18. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    Boy, did you miss the point. Re-read again, slowly.

19. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Actually, the games effected are probably fixable with a simple hex patch.

its the developers faults for not allowing for rates below 60hz though.

20. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    I have dual screens with no problems. One is 1680x1050 and the other is 1280x1024.