AMD Catalyst 12.4 (8.961 April 5) AMD Official WHQL

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by kyz, Apr 25, 2012.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
  2. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Gpus are down clocked..

I run Afterburner and enabled monitoring of gpu core clocks and inside Windows the core clocks are 500mhz, 250mhz, 250mhz. When I play like Fear 3 I get the following: 880mhz, 250mhz, 250mhz and only the last two gpus being used!

So now I goto go disable Xfire and re-enable Xfire to get it working again. This is with three 6970 cards which I totally regret purchasing last year. Will try the 'enableulps' fix in registry but that didnt work last time..

Thanks.

3. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Well that is your problem FEAR 3 doesn't even require that kind of horsepower to max out, and it doesn't support multi-GPU all that well either. It's the game in that case not the cards.

4. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    its all about horsepower

Well I'm playing at 5760x1080 so at those clocks I was getting like 8 fps. I rolled back to 12.3 after giving up on 12.4 and now all three gpus operate at 880 mhz and get like 60 fps. So my problem are these driver bugs. Thanks.

5. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    very poor cf performance with my 4890`s in 3d mark 06(dropped 60fps) and 3dvantage(dropped 30fps) msi afterburner says im only gettin 60% max gpu usage on both gpu`s hopefully wont have any issues when my Asus 7970 Directcu arrives later today

Update: just tried the latest cap and i and gpu usuage back up to 99%

not tried any games yet

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  6. fluxetreflux

fluxetreflux New Member

GPU:
    ATI 5770 CF / 5870m
    Same here...

12.4 works fine on my rig. Games runs smooth but i have several BSOD if i don't use the computer while a quarter of an hour...

[​IMG]

I did some "tricks" with powercfg command. The report returns me errors so i disabled all automatic shut off (screen, usb) and no results. BSOD are still there.

Now i investigate following those advices "..., in which this error occurs, overclocking/c-state and/or bad devices drivers are the reason, only in few cases it's actually because of defective hardware or an unsufficient power supply unit." ... Either i think that is due to the driver because there's a message in the BSOD screen that speak about "ATI..mag". Sorry didn't remember exactly

Maybe one "guru" crawling this thread could help me ?

Thanks in advance

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    What...I was saying your problem was FEAR 3 does not support Multi GPU very well compared to most games.

It's a console port.

It wasn't meant to be offensive....

Driver or not..FEAR 3 just does not support multi-gpu very well or it would be used in benchmarks for it.

8. MichaelTurbo

MichaelTurbo Member

GPU:
    7970x2 lightning@1300/160

As far as I'm aware, FEAR 3 does not play well in any multi-GPU mode; CrossfireX & SLI alike. Therefore it isn't a driver bug, but a fundamental game or engine-based limitation as this fellow points out.

That said? In 2560x1600 & 3560x1920 I'm hitting 110-120 FPS on the former & 60-80 frames the latter. No wild bounces between high & low fps, GPU utilization around 60% . Game isn't especially demanding.

9. fluxetreflux

fluxetreflux New Member

GPU:
    ATI 5770 CF / 5870m
    I finally revert to 12.3 after a quick try of the 12.5 beta that i uninstalled immediatly because CCC didn't want to start.

But with the 12.3 and cap1, BSOD are still there only when i don't use my computer during 15 or 30 mn. WTF.

After "googling" i found so many things...
    - apply some changes in the register about tdr : nothing
    - disable "overdrive" from CCC : nothing
    - last thing i did : modify the vcore in the bios. Don't know if it works but yesterday night, i could play 2 hours with no issue. Today, i will let my computer on, and i will see...

10. kn00tcn

kn00tcn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    570m / MSI 660 Gaming OC
    wasnt CF disabled in fear3 in a CAP a year ago? looking at the CAP xml now, dont see any cf stuff for fear3 though, strange... usually there would be a disable cf line

11. fluxetreflux

fluxetreflux New Member

GPU:
    ATI 5770 CF / 5870m
    No more BSOD today.

I'd tried a couple of my "GOG" games : JC2, Batman Arkham City, Lara Croft and The GOL (GPU 2 is disabled in this game and just one fail with it during a 2 hours coop ride : back to desktop and a message about graphics resources missing ?), NFS Shift and RAGE play fine...

I can't bring any report about BF3 or Skyrim because they are on my box and i don't have any issue with them...

Maybe i went too fast by reverting to 12.3 instead of trying all that tricks with 12.4. I will stuck now in 12.3 and i hope that 12.5 WHQL will come with less problem...

So i will have no more contribution on this 12.4 thread. See you elsewhere

For those who read me, i apologize about my bad english...

However i didn't have any help for my problem, i like this forum 6and guru3D site.

Cheers.

12. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    my fans got stuck at 50% on both cards last night, installed MSI afterburner and activated a custom fan profile to fix it, but wtf, is it the 12.4 drivers?

13. psyside

psyside Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 @1150/6000
    Where is this 12.5 beta driver? and is it better then 12.4 WHQL, sorry i don't read much this driver based threads.

14. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Not the games fault..

Its not the games fault. 12.4 just doesn't work for multi monitor multi gpu people. I mean I experience my gpu clocks throttled down to nothing like a lot of other people here. No problems with 12.3. Wish they would hotfix this though!

15. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Thanks for backing me up. I remember lots of people upset about FEAR 2 and 3 practically being a straight up port to PC.

@Psyside

Bro, 12.5 has been here for months. look at the Sticky with April 18th dated drivers. Those are the leaked 12.5's. Use them!

16. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Yeah ok

Regarding Fear3 that maybe so, but what I'm seeing with 12.4 has nothing to with crossfire gpu utilization. The frequency of each gpu goes down to (880 ,250, 250mhz) with only the last two gpus being used. With 12.3 they're fine at (880,880,880 mhz) and all three being used like 65-75 percent. And its not only with Fear3 as Skyrim and Bulletstorm crawl slowly. Did a clean install using three different methods and same thing. BTW: Messing with 'enableulps', just in case your wondering, in the registry did nothing. Thats the way it goes I suppose. Some drivers work and some don't. I accept it. No big deal..

17. psyside

psyside Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 @1150/6000
    Anyone else have shockwawe player crash, in chrome with 12.5 beta?

18. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    What a useless thing is crossfiring and trifiring when drivers don't help at all. At the end you get more with less getting the best single GPU availiable. Why do I say this? because my brother's GTS450 feels smoother at its 40ish fps in BF3 without Vsync than my CF at 150-180 fps to 60 or 75 with Vsync on, even with Vsync, game isn't as smooth as his.
    this happens in every game except the ones his VGA isn't enough to run them.
    I wish drivers would accompany tech evolution, not make it a hassle

19. ticcatch

ticcatch Member

GPU:
    4550 5450 7900gs etc
    Also got back the handshake issue with 5450 card, samsung tv and pioneer receiver.

Worked with 12.3, probably going to revert to the image with 12.3 if it gets too annoying.

20. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    If anyone is having video decoding problems with these drivers - I had, random hard lock-ups whenever doing anything related to video, be it streamed or not (youtube, movies) - just uninstall the video decoding/encoding component using the ATI Install Manager in Programs and Features - dirty fix, but it works until 12.5 are here.