Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Blood487, Jun 14, 2013.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Oh yeah ofcourse, i forgot.

But still i saw so many lancers then other classes that spawn in that starting area.

They look pretty bad ass too, they can unlock the dragoon class or?

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Managed to get onto the beta shortly after posting my last message. I'm really enjoying the game, played it for about 5 hours and reached level 8 so it is certainly addictive.

I guess it helps that I haven't played many MMORPGs since World of Warcraft, which I played for about 18 months back in 2004/2005 and since then I've only really played Guild Wars 2. I think FFXIV: ARR is a very polished game that looks gorgeous and sounds lush; it certainly helps to immerse you in a world that is otherwise very similar in terms of fantasy setting and quests as other MMORPGs.

It is certainly a better game than Neverwinter, a game I briefly played last week but wasn't impressed with in the slightest. Whether I stick with this game remains to be seen but I can see it lasting at least a couple of months. It really does look nice and that alone would keep playing to see new areas and monsters.

3. Mooshan

Mooshan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor 1080
    Am I missing something? Ive used my old square enix account that had the original ff14 on it but i dont get a key and always told to get the beta installer i have to log in to the forum which it tells me my username and pass are incorrect.

Could I just reinstall the game from my disk and have access? It says Im signed up for the beta :S

[EDIT] Nevermind, i found a beta installer download i tried the disk and it just tells me that 1.0 is disabled, i hope thats planned for change on release as i was under the impression previous owners of 1.0 would have the game it would just update the necessary files

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  4. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Guest

GPU:
    Asus Titan
    Previous owners of 1.0 do get the new game for free, but unless you got sent a beta key you still can't play early.

I like the game but refuse to play because the website, account and general non-game interface is the worst I've ever seen.

5. Mooshan

Mooshan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor 1080
    Its ok, as a previous owner it looks like I am ok and dont need a key as it states registration was completed, so I should be able to just play.

I couldn't understand at first as people have been receiving keys, oh well looking forward to checking out the changes other than in screenshots/videos.

1.0 was hugely disappointing in nearly every aspect, I loved FF11 even if it was clunky, there was just something about it.

6. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Oh really? I didn't know 1.0 owners are getting it free, i just bought it off a key site.

I really enjoy the monk class, i gues that's gonna be my main class.

7. Mooshan

Mooshan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor 1080
    I have picked a conjurer in the hopes to level a white mage as i normally play healing based classes, if im going to pick a dps class my preferred choice is going to be a monk as well.

Is anyone else finding the FXAA pointless in this game? it doesnt seem to work :( anyone find any nvinspector aa bits that work in this game?

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm having fun with the game. I'm a human warrior on level 10 so I've just got access to Chocobos and level up attributes. I enjoyed the one instance I did, even though I did it solo, as it was voice-acted and had some nice cutscenes that made it feel more like an RPG. Performance is also stellar on maxed out 1920x1200 settings with 45-60 fps for 99% of the time and only some drops to 30-40 fps during really busy towns or FATE battles. It is certainly smoother than my previous experience of the original FFXIV beta, granted that was on a less powerful setup (I think I might have had a GTX 580 at that time).

Some of the quests around Ul'rah are a bit vague though and have had me puzzling what I'm supposed to do. For example, one early quest was to tell marauders to 'Face /me' so there I was selecting them and typing Face /me into the dialogue box only for nothing to happen. Turns out you have to use Emote and select Me. Right, that was very intuitive... not! Also, some of the quest markers inside buildings are confusing because of the different floors. It's probably more my inexperience than the game though to be fair.

Finally, I'm playing the game with my Xbox 360 controller. Don't hate me but it is a very nice surprise (or maybe not since this is available for the PS3 as well) and works extremely well, much better than I'd expect for a game that has dozens of keyboard shortcus. I'm actually enjoying the combat more because of being able to use the controller, if you can believe that. I only use the keyboard to type in the dialogue box but even that has been sparse as I haven't actually spoken or played with any other human players yet. Probably won't as I prefer to play MMORPGs solo with the other human players merely being background characters to give the game life.

Does the beta character carry over to the final game by the way? I want to try a magic character for the actual release but what do I choose? What's the best one?

9. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Leveled monk, lancer, thaumaturge, gladiator and archer to 15 during the beta sessions. While the game is pretty good, it doesn't really offer anything new. I don't think I'll be playing it, the subscription isn't worth playing the same old content. Plus the story cut scenes aren't as epic as I'd expect from an FF game.

10. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    You keep your phase 4 character, just go to one of the magic guilds and try a different class. Thaumaturge if you wanna do black magic style dps, conjurer for healing, arcanist for summoning dps.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've been taking screenshots with EVGA Precision v4.2.1 and I saw the spinning symbol to indicate a shot had been taken but not a single has been saved. Anyone else experiencing this? I was able to take screenshots from the Official Benchmark/Character Creator so I don't understand why it isn't working in the game. I have the screenshot key as the asterisk (*) on the numeric keypad.

12. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    The game has it's own screen capture, just press PrtScn. Saves to the MyGames folder under FFxiv.

13. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I use SweetFX for SMAA.

I think FXAA in-game only works correctly on the characters.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ Mooshan - MrBonk posted a flag for FFXIV: ARR in the stickied NVIDIA AA thread of 0x004012C5 so try that with MSAA + SGSSAA.

FXAA is pretty poor in this game, not so much on the characters but aliasing is very noticeable on the backgrounds and there's a lot of sub-pixel shimmering when moving around. I'm guess that the game is using the same low-quality FXAA filter as the PS3 version. Maybe Square-Enix will add SMAA at some point?

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    ^ That didn't seem to work, i couldn't find that AA flag in inspector, so i just typed the code in but the game is all messed up now lol.

Am i doing something wrong?

It does applies SSAA, and it runs stunningly good.

edit: nvm it works now.

16. Mooshan

Mooshan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor 1080
    I cant seem to get it to work could someone post a screenshot of what inspector should look like setting wise please? Ta very much :)

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    This is mine:

[​IMG]

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    changing shadow quality from the highest setting helps in case of shadow shimmering iirc.

19. Mooshan

Mooshan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor 1080
    I'll give the shadow setting a try and when i get a chance i'll use those settings thanks

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    The game runs pretty awful with tho's settings, i'll try later with 2x/2x.