Galaxy GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB review [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

The Galaxy GeForce 9800GTX PLUS tested - Galaxy recently released this product custom PCB custom cooling custom bracket HDMI output black DVI and backplate. I sometimes wonder why a small company...

More...

2. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Far Cry 2 test ...
    But the FPS matches with 8aa used when compared to the 2nd graph showing 8aa vs 4aa .

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Aah, typo .. the upper chart is done (our standard test) at 8xAA. Fixing, thanks for noticing.

4. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Ha i only got 21FPS in farcry 2 everything @ ultra with 8x AA 1280x1024 damn i must of had some bottleneck.

I'm also liking the arrows looks a lot better than a boring normal line if you know what i mean.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Anyone else think those temerpatures are pretty high for a non reference, two slot cooler?

6. raken

raken Member

GPU:
    Zotac 1050 Ti 4GB
    I have owned a Galaxy 9800GTX+ 1 1/2 months and the reveiw is highly accurate. My card does have 2D settings so it can change from 3D settings when leaving games etc. The bios is posted at Mvktech you could try to download it and flash with Nibitor. My 2D settings in bios where 300 600 100 and I used Rivatuner to change to 450 900 150 and can get even higher settings with Xtreme Tuner. The only game in the Review I own is Call of Duty World At War and I get 65-75C ingame [using EVGA Presision to check]. I set Rivatuner's fan settings to 30 percent 30-50C and it idles 48-50C 1550RPM, 70 percent 61-70C 2600 RPM and 80 percent 71C+ 2700 RPM. I agree it could run cooler but it's not much higher than cards in this price range or performance. Noise is way to loud in 3D and have seen this in other Reviews.

7. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    i do agree that the dual-slot cooler is a bit... useless. After all, they fitted the very same cooler onto their 9800GT model too, which I just so happen to have.

But then again I just live in a country where the outside temp is always near 40 degrees celsius, and my room only has one ceiling fan. So in my case, high temps are hard to avoid.

8. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    summing the results show a ~28% overall advantage to the 9800GTX+ over HD4850,
    with the 9800GTX+ beating the 4850 in every single test.

considering the Galaxy 9800GTX+ using reference frequencies,
    is there a reason why other reviews draw a completely different picture between the 2 ?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  9. reeven

reeven Guest

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 750/1450/3000
    This card bought it 3 days ago, sometimes, some users report the artefacts problem, when enter 3d... same on evga, bfg, leadtek, zotac 9800GTX+.

Galaxy makes an update Bios, it there:

http://www.szgalaxy.com/rain/serve/UpdBios_923K.rar

Bios in this archives is 2198.rom.

Some users report that when you enter 2d/3d sometimes, artefacts and freeze appear, and you must restart the computer.

This bios put fan to 20%, but raise the cicles, and it's good... No more freeze and artefacts appear.

EDIT: Problem with 2d/3d mode is FIXED on ALL NVIDIA CARDS with Nvidia Driver 182.60.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  10. Denithor

Denithor New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 512MB
    This review would have been a lot more interesting & informative if you had tested CF 4850 & SLI 9800GTX+ in addition to the single cards against the higher end single card setups. I mean, who doesn't know that 4850 & 9800GTX+ run very close together and both lose to 4870 & GTX 285? C'mon...

11. wpeltola

wpeltola New Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 9800 GTX+
    No Issues Here

Just so you all know, I have had this card now for a few weeks and have loved every second of it. I went from an 8800gt to this one and have had no issues at all. I believe some of the early problems that people were having was more of a driver issues than hardware. This card runs cool and pretty quiet for me.

I just got back from a LAN party and people liked how it looks in my case, along with the blue theme, it stood out :)

Anyway, thanks for reading!

12. Mateiii

Mateiii New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512mb
    big problem

First: I'm new in PCworld and sorry if my english is bad. :p

I have Galaxy 9800 GTX+ 512mb I have random freezes with sound continue loop after that i have to restart PC...
    and Realtemp shows my idle temp GPU is 60-65'C when i start playing World of Warcraft after 5-10min the temp is increasing to 105'C sometimes more, is that problem from Graphic Card or something else? Thanks

13. wpeltola

wpeltola New Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 9800 GTX+
    Welcome! That could be any number of things, to be honest. When you have the chance, post the rest of your hardware specs and also make sure you are using the lastest drivers from Nvidia.com for your GTX+.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

14. Mateiii

Mateiii New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512mb
    Here!

CPU: C2 DUO E7300 2.66 1066 3M box
    Motherboard: P5Q SE P45 LGA 775
    RAM: KIT 2 x 2GB DDR2 1066 A-DATA
    PSU: Fortron BlueStorm II 500
    Video: Galaxy GF 9800 GTX+ 512mb DDR-3 PCIE

Downloaded leatest Drivers from Nvidia.com and motherboard Disc instaled with updates.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  15. wpeltola

wpeltola New Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 9800 GTX+
    Do you have adequate cooling in your case? Sometimes heat buildup can cause a crash like that. Is it just on one game, or at random times?

Again, make sure all of your drivers all up to date, including motherboard devices and see if that helps.

[​IMG]

16. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Manually adjust the fan speed? Should do the trick.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  17. Mateiii

Mateiii New Member

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512mb
    hmm

This is fun but...
    Today i bought normal room Fan :D i open the case and i put on the fan to help cooling with my other 3 coolers... but it didnt help :). Case and coolers are fresh cleaned and CPU temp is 34-44'C max but the GPU temp is 60-65'C idle and 75-105'C.

18. wpeltola

wpeltola New Member

GPU:
    Galaxy 9800 GTX+
    I would make sure all of your drivers are up to date then.

19. .Rain

.Rain Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Mateiii, you should download rivatuner or evga precisioin (not sure if it works with other gfx cards or only evgas'). That way you can monitor the temps of your gpu during gameplay. If the freezes occur when temps hit 90-100c+ then it may be a heat issue. The software i mentioned also lets you raise the fan speed of the GPU which you may wanna do.

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    I see no reason to buy overpriced GeForce 9800GTX+/GTS250 cards when you can get Sapphire HD4870 with aftermarket heatpipe cooler for 122 eur. And the Radeon tears 9800GTX+ apart with ease.