Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Thanks for reply. Hope for fix in next public version of pre-release OS :D

2. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    [​IMG]
    Start menu is back?:nerd:

3. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Where?

4. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Wait. Is this release out ?

5. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    That thing in the left corner:nerd:

Nope, it's for testers and big companies, maybe we will get RC in may/june or whatever it will called :D

6. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    found out how to partialy fix freezing issues i think.
    if i shut down then turn on computer it does't freeze in uper left or right corner.

if i restart instead it will freeze up so i think some cache being cleared on shutdown but not on reboot.

about start menu metro is the new start menu while other functions are now hidden somewhere in osd that pops up on right side off the screen.

anyway i really like windows 8 because web performance is way faster

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  7. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    is it just me or are the apps impossible to use?

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    As in how?
    And which app(s)?

9. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I'm not having any issues with any apps. ALL my Metro apps work correctly, quickly and efficiently.

I'm now about 3 1/2 months into testing Win8 (Dev Preview and Consumer Preview), and I can honestly say that I'm ready to make this my permanent OS.
    I dedicated a laptop to it when the Dev Preview first became available because I own 2 computer repair businesses and it's ME people in my area are going to call when their new Xmas computer that comes preloaded with Windows 8 has a problem or they can't figure out something.

I've had nothing but GREAT experience with Windows 8. It has everything that I now wish Windows 7 came with and things that I can't leave behind... kind of like going from Win7 back to WinXP or from XP back to 98... there's SO much more functionality available that it's hard for me to step backwards to my Windows 7 machines.

People will have a serious problem migrating to Win8 because of the Metro interface, but for any newcomers (kids) just learning computers, they'll seriously think we're archaic with our older OS (like in Back To The Future 2 when the kids were trying to figure out the olden-days arcade game and made fun of Marty because "you had to use your hands"!)
    However, my older customers are going to have it the worst. Getting them migrated to Vista or 7 over the last 5+ years was extremely difficult as most of them were XP users and knew where things went - they had to relearn where Vista and/or 7 put their stuff and just had a hard time understanding the nuances of efficiency. Those same people, when they purchase a new computer that has 8 on it are the ones that I'm going to have the most trouble with... not because the OS is lacking in any way, but because they're the ones that have the hardest time learning new tricks.

Anyway, just a quick blurb to proclaim my stance with Windows 8 - I LOVE IT.

Psychlone

10. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    It is gonna be great, but the problem with that I have is that Microsoft is making a big change to the OS, and not gradually implementing it (the metro interface), but at least from what I hear with the final release we'll have the option to use either Metro or the standard that we're used to. Personally, from a business perspective the Metro interface could be useful, but at the same time from my experience it seems pretty useless.

11. styka

styka Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB RD
    How much space is this W8 taking ?
    Apart from the hybernation file sys ?

12. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    for x64 windows folder is 13.5gb so about 15gb for install

13. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Been useing windows 8 for about a month now and like it alot. At first I hated it but then once I figured most things it became easier to use than windows 7. What is going to be nice on windows 8 is your touchscreen with laptops!

14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    sexy! I love it!

15. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Yeah liking it here as well

Been using Win 8 consumer preview on my main laptop and quite liking it.

The start screen can be easily sorted to what you want. My main fear when looking to install it was the inclusion of ribbon interface into Windows Explorer but I really like the way MS has worked it with. Ribbon keeps out of the way for the most part and thhen has some great functionality for power users when required.

I have not really looked into Metro Apps per se though as they seem quite basic in what they do but using my day to day and gaming software on Win 8, it has been a good experience.

The trad desktop is there and really, do you need a start button on the task bar when you have one on your keyboard?

Would like to try it on my main desktop but my sound hardware fails the install and I am not sure I can use Win 7 drivers to install the hardware after installing Win 8. (Echo Audio Gina 3G)

16. paradox

paradox Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GTX 470 on HDTV
    how to make it like that?

17. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    thats from a build that isnt available to the public yet

18. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Have to say I like it though. Quite simple and easy on the eyes.

Funny thing though is the use of the Taskbar at the bottom of a wide screen instead of tucking it on the side. I run mine on the RHS which I find handy and I would wish for Ribbon Interfaced Apps that I could place Ribbon on the side as well but alas - not sure if that is possible.

Still, something Adobe seemed to get right and quite usable when doing page layout etc.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  19. notyou

notyou Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    Wow. That is horrible looking.

20. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Question: In theory .... could I make this setup?

Triple screen 1920X1080 touch screen monitors that still incorporate a mouse and keyboard. I haven't seen any monitors like that out yet. So it really make me wonder... :nerd:

EDIT: Yes there are loads of those monitors flooding the Market currently.
    Making Ebay account to sell my entire setup and start from the beginning.

TeKK!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.