Core i7 3770K & 3750 review with Z77 DZ77GA-70K mobo [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Thanks, good info!

2. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Why would you or any other Sandy Bridge user upgrade to Ivy Bridge?
    It's like upgrading from Lynfield i7 8xx to Bloomfield i7 9xx, minus the socket switch

3. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    Honestly, Ivy is just bad. you can sugar coat it all you want, but what people were expecting here was just a die shrink with improvements; not intel adding new tech using us as guinea pigs. Everyone was expecting 5ghz to be an easier OC to achieve with lower volts/heat, in which case Ivy would have been a big success. Hell it struggles to reach 4.8ghz without making your room as hot as a sauna...

If you're buying Ivy now, you're accepting the fact that you're going to settle for flaws you already know are going to be there. Why bother?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  4. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    because i have amd.

Only certain people expect to OC. I see no use for it. Too many diminishing returns.

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    What diminishing returns are those?

6. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Because upgrade. Also high end CPU water cooling.

7. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Well i'm not. I've decided, going with the i7 2700k with the asus p8z77v-deluxe (a push of a button and the cpu goes to 4.7ghz)..awesome board. Also the Noctua C14 will help keep the 2700k at 4.7ghz pretty cool.

8. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    I'm with you, I think my i5 750 + 460 SLI system will last me a while yet

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I am upgrading another rig that gets stuff from my computer (GPU+CPU+RAM+MOBO) so I need new stuff to replace them.

10. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    Did you look at those 2 videos? just skim them quickly and start watching when he points to gpu usage and fps.

With 2.0 ~70-80fps, with 3.0 ~125-130fps

Yes 2.0 is ok if you have 2-3 gpus max, but 4 can be tricky at uber high resolutions.

more on topic;

Anandtech's quote looked good

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5771/the-intel-ivy-bridge-core-i7-3770k-review/4

And this looks interesting too, there is new article about undervotling and overclocking :nerd:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5763/undervolting-and-overclocking-on-ivy-bridge

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  12. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The problem isn't about pure volumes of heat that it produces, it's actually fairly efficient on that front.

The problem is that the heat doesn't get off the CPU die itself very well. It retains a lot of heat that even high end coolers seem to be having a problem removing efficiently.

That kind of problem isn't the room-heating kind.

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Ivy overclocking not being room-heated kind of problem is just a consequence of small die size (160mm2)

and cooler not being able to take the heat of the die means that
    heat generation per area is big

but the die area is fixed :) so we need new revision which will take care of the excess heat generation

how ever you look at it - this is about the heat

just found this...it looks like it's the room-heated kind of prob after all:

[​IMG]
    http://www.obr-hardware.com/2012/04/ivy-bridge-vs-sandy-bridge-on-air.html

So it's more heat on less area. If those numbers are correct - this is a cooling disaster.

14. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I think those graphs are misleading. I guess what they were going for is achieving the same or similar overclocks and what that required for each platform...

We know that Ivy just doesn't quite reach as well as Sandy. It's still decent, but not quite as good. That said, pumping 1.58v through Ivy is just asking for trouble. That's a voltage most people aren't comfortable putting through even Sandy.

What's more, power consumption at stock clocks, the low-end of the graph for the Ivy side...Should be lower. Why's it only 5w lower?

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    If they split the CPU die in 2 and spread them further apart, even say 3mm, either by empty die space or an actual gap, it would help dissipate heat into the CPU cap a bit quicker.
    It may need a small amount extra cache on each segment to compensate which might offset the benefit.
    There may be mileage in the method.

16. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    This is from a german review:

"In addition, Sandy Bridges were still clean soldered to the heat spreader, which facilitates the transfer of heat. As things are now in order for Intel to cut costs this is no longer the case with Ivy Bridge so heat is now trapped under the IHS, the cooler can not do anything against that."

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I wonder how much extra heat will be generated at the CPU level when the voltage regulator is included on-die next year with Haswell?

18. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    if I spend 300$ on water cooling just to get a 5ghz oc and reduce the life of the processor by a considerable amount. I'm spending twice as much when I could simply upgrade each year instead.
    Also i could never resell for even half the price.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You can overclock quite a lot on air, beyond that its diminishing returns, so why not just clock a 2500K/2600K a bit higher on air?
    You will save money and get practically the same performance.

20. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Decent water cooling can be had for more like 100-150.