Underclocking my GPU?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ChuNjeH, May 8, 2007.

1. ChuNjeH

ChuNjeH Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1900XTX 512MB
    I have an x1900XTX and I really have quit all gaming. My question is this: Can I underclock the video card to maybe 350/340 in order to maybe lower the heat on the GPU because the weather has been hot and its been overheating... all I do on my computer is chat/email/web browse/music/watch tv shows/word documents. all of which I dont think really uses the video card? someone help me out!

2. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    Yes,Download RivaTuner from guru3d.com
    It will allow you under clock both,Core and Memory.

3. Landazar

Landazar Active Member

I have a question aswell regarding this heat issue ( man its hot here )

Sometimes my card is overheating while im playing and i see the signs of it, Is there some kind of way to change the fan speed of my x1900GT sapphire ?

Thanks.

4. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    @ Landazar - Ati Tray Tools will let you do that in detail (different speeds for different temperatures).

@ ChuNjeH - You could also try undervolting your GPU in addition to underclocking it. That should really lower your temps. Or you could install air conditioning :)

5. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    At 2d clock speeds your gpu really should not be overheating. Even in a really hot room.

Have you looked to make sure it isn't clogged with dust? Unstead of underclocking perhaps just use one of the applications mentioned above to manually increase the fan speed...

6. JimmyFox

JimmyFox Master Guru

GPU:
    2x ATi Radeon HD4830 CF
    I don't see the need of underclocking your X1900XTX.
    When a 3d application is not running, the card underclocks itself to 2D clocks (which are pretty lower than 3d clocks) and reduces the FAN's rpm to minimal levels.

If the Fan is still loud when in 2D mode (which i doubt...), you can lower the rpm even further using Riva tuner or ATi Tool.