Teachers in UK want new legislation on gaming

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/apr/03/children-addicted-violent-games-warn-teachers

See now I have a son who turns 15 next month who loves nothing more than coming home from a long day at school and unwinding playing on his Xbox, namely Halo Reach. And upstairs all I ever hear is him laughing and having fun with people he's known on Xbox live for quite some time. More importantly he knows I trust him to spend a certain amount of hours playing and not to come off any later than 9pm on a school night so he can shower and watch a movie before bed. He's physically fit, has friends at school, has a girlfriend and although I would say he's somewhat addicted he's more addicted to playing just the one singular game than he is actually playing games in general. It's the game he garners the most "online respect" from and people tend to add him to their friends list after playing with him because he is rather good at the game and is a known good player. They even send him lofty praise type voice messages which are often quite lol inducing because some of them are about 10 and have high pitched voices like you wouldn't believe.

On the other hand I also have a nephew who is but six months older than my son who comes home from school and then eats, ****s and sits in front of his console until 4 or even 5 am - each and every night. He then goes into the same school as my son by 9am looking like he's slept rough. Nobody stops him playing and I've heard him on the phone raging at the likes of CoD and swearing his head off in front of my mother and father in law who are both in their late 70's. He's physically unfit, closed off to any form of conversation and has been in constant trouble with school. Once to the point he hit some other kid he played online with and was suspended for a week. He's pretty much the complete opposite of my son and is allowed to do what he wants due to his aggressive nature that is said to have already been present long before he got into gaming as a hobby and his school work has suffered tremendously of late.

Sometimes my son complains about what other people on his friends list can play and for how long but he understands and respects the fact that different parents have different approaches and even admits he would hate being like his wayward cousin who ignores him at school. Hearing what I hear when my wife is on the phone where he lives I'd call it a blessing in disguise but find it shameful that nobody has the balls to tackle him or the obvious problems his gaming habits create.

Are teachers simply clueless though or is my sons cousin a genuine example of all that is wrong with a portion of todays kids that are allowed to game whenever, on whatever and for as long as they like?

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Divorce is what causes problems to kids. Might not be what causes all the problems, but I honestly think that it's playing a big part there. Perhaps the kid feels he has no need to listen to his father in law and so. Perhaps kids father in law is afraid to say what that kid can do and what he cant because of some reason (seen this often). Perhaps kids mom told the man not to be too hard to her kid or not to say anything...

3. villa_youth

villa_youth Master Guru

GPU:
    780 Ti
    If in doubt blame computer games. It makes me laugh that you can make films and tv shows that show violence, blood, gore, sex and whatever else and no one bats an eyelid, but as soon as you put that into a game and show it computer graphics there's uproar about it.

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Primary school children playing games they shouldn't... fault of the parents.

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    nope, it's the contrary.

gaming improves the visual and auditory senses, improves reaction time and alertness, also while playing children/gamers tend to talk/shout (eg. "where's the god damn lever?! .....oh yes! here it is).

stuff like that.. [​IMG]

and many teachers arrive at school exhausted having spent the previous night at the bar drinking. :D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    The whole article is another example of the state being asked to do what the parents should be doing in the first place.

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    exactly.

it's the same argument when kids commit acts of violence like killing, parents blamed GTA.

it's too easy to blame a videogames, they should blame themselves for the lousy job, especially if the kid was mentally unsound to begin with and predisposed to such acts. ;)

we all played GTA, i don't see any killer.

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Addiction is bad. But to be honest, I've read good book until the early hours of the morning too. As always, stay within reason. Parents should do their job too. No limits: ****ed up kids.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Problem is, we have up to 40 year old children now having children.
    Some adults never grow up and just go through life trying to get away with what they can.
    They really do not give a damn, some act like children, others cant be asked to control their unruly kids.
    Great role models, probably lost causes too.

Kids these days are wise to the law and what they can get away with.
    This makes them much harder to control.
    So even what would have been good parents say 50 years ago, end up with more than they can handle these days.
    And theres very little help because the kids know there isnt much anyone can do.
    With little to limit behavior, its not surprising how bad they get.

The law needs to be less permissive and to allow parents to chastise bad behavior without fear (within limits of course, but not like todays).
    When bounds are overstepped, social services should be involved, but they are stripped to the bone themselves and the workers are pushed to the max.
    This has to change.

There isnt a direct route to success, its going to involve a change in values throughout society and will probably take a generation or more to fix.

10. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Too bad multiplayer games enhance social skills and that this is a load of bollocks. This argument 10 years ago would have been far more reasonable. Nearly EVERy game has some sort of multiplayer these days.

11. lebrine

lebrine Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce 680 gtx
    its not video game violence responsible for kids behaviour here in the uk tbh, its the lack of any form of discipline...

Seriously, if discipline was brought back some kids might be a little better behaved. ^^

It never did me any harm :D

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yes, yet again let's blame games and not bad parenting, heaven forbid we ever get at the source of problems and not just stop at the outer layer of them... :puke2:

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    This old chessnut again.......The cheap nanny that is computer games.

Bring back the belt in school, 3 of the best for little tommy because he thinks that because he does what he wants in the house, he can do that anywhere.......that will sort him out.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    +1 to that!

15. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    its parenting! Kids are way too spoilt these days! We had it hard and we turned up just fine!

16. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    That is the sad truth

17. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    :OMG F@cking hypocrites they all are. "Negative effects" my @ss :mad:
    Television/ movies are filled with violence, murder, racial and sex discrimination, religious radicalism, horrors of war, terrorism and sexual crimes...no game has gone so far as TV or movies for past 60 years. Shameless corporate b@stards...

Sorry for my expression here...but it really grinds my gear :bang:

18. danfim

danfim Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980
    People either are mature at a young age or they are not. Age ratings are for the average people. Parents, judge if your kid is mature enough. Your cousin needs some serious help, and I don't think his guardians who you said were older than 70 both, can provide this help.

19. tibial

tibial Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 580GTX 3-Way SLI
    First "stringest legislation", then ban all games completely because parents simply cannot be bothered to look after or communicate with their children... They're too busy having fun with their colleagues at the pub.

It is similar to an ancient medical practice performed by uneducated peasants where there were no doctors around: If leg hurts, cut off leg. It can be applicable to any problem as well.

20. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Well .... I don't know about you guys but ill be keeping the consoles and computers far away from my children. Nothing but sporting activities and physics books.