I think i should lay off the english.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by StewieTech, Oct 1, 2013.

1. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Never had a problem with that altough in the 90ties i worked on a Nato base with alot of American soldiers,English became my second language due to speaking it daily.

2. waxbytes

waxbytes Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 6GB
    You guys are lucky. I only speak english so when I forget a word I come to complete stop and feel stupid.

It must be nice to have a second vocabulary to fill in the blanks!

3. death__machine

death__machine Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 270X TOXIC 2GBx2
    I don't even think in my native language most of the time.

Its all mixed up. I speak Hindi at home, English with colleagues and on the web, Read Arabic and speak really basic Arabic AND I have to understand the language that my parents speak in(I don't).

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Doesn't happen to me at all while speaking. English is so different and has nothing to do with Finnish.

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Sounds like you have a really good grasp on English OP, that's brilliant as it takes a lot of effort to get very good at a language.

I find myself thinking in Spanish from time to time, and have had the odd dream or two in it...that's pretty weird but then I love it so it's not a problem.

Went to France recently, that really messed me up. Some very odd stuff was coming out...:)

6. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Yeah, I'm always forgetting ****, words included. I used to think I had a hard time with names (locations, people) but then I read some news story of how a lot of men are like that. Women apparently are just slightly better at remembering things, and my wife confirms this for me when we're watching tv shows/movies and I'm all "WHO THE **** IS THAT GUY!?" and she'll explain it and I'll be all "oh. right.".

Some of my meds have memory side effects to them, but I don't think that's it either. I just have **** memory with some things, but I manage. Fish Oil and Ginkgo biloba are supposed to help somewhat with memory, and by somewhat I'd imagine a 1-10% difference if any, but I'll leave that out there if anyone could use that info.

No really, you're too hard on yourself if that's your reasoning! You come off a better english language typist (I mean, I can't hear you speak obviously, but on the forums) than a good 3/4ths the internet. Hell, a quick skim through typical Youtube comments of native english speaking people in comparison would confirm this. So feel good, man.

But really, it may not even be a language thing. It just might be a memory thing that we all go through from time to time. I wouldn't worry about it till you start forgetting names of close friends and relatives.

7. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Well I grew up speaking 4 languages, and after I moved here to Canada... I have been speaking English almost all the time. But occasionally when I speak French to Francophones.... there is always some English words that creeps in, it just happens unconsciously.

8. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    You "think" in the language you speak.
    When you speak multiple languages, you start thinking in multiple languages.
    I had the same problem, but as you speak more and more of a certain language, you start thinking more and more in that language.
    Even applies to sign language, (which have multiple languages, ASL, american sign language is one of the more common ones).