Headphones recommendation

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by MaCk0y, Feb 10, 2016.

1. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Hi,

I'm looking into buying new headphones. I listen mostly to instrumental hip hop so I need some with good bass. Also play games. I was looking at the Sennheiser 558 or 598 but the reviews suggest to buy different headphones if you require more bass.

Can you kindly give some recommendations ? Currently I use 2 year old cheap Plantronics GameCom 380 which lack volume and bass but they are surprisingly really comfortable and light. I use the onboard motherboard sound (alc1150).

Thanks.

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Since you haven't list a budget , I gonna name off a couple of headphones that affordable. Also Later on in the future you may wanna get a cheap used sound blaster Z or a Asus Strix Sonar, which both have gaming functions such as Virtual surround which can be handy for gaming.

To start off the Philips X2 is a good choice which has what you want. plenty of people mentioned that it does a really good job with it bass , I haven't used it my self, but I sure there people that have in this forum.http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X2-27...&qid=1455121114&sr=8-1&keywords=X2+headphones

It's 170-185 used from amazon, It might be cheaper on ebay.

The Audio Techinca A900X is the headphone I have personally used which did a good job with bass and I played plenty of games with it, As well plenty of EDM,DnB,Dub-step and even some Techno-Rap, which it handled pretty well. It sound image from what i recall was pretty good for a closed back headphone. Of course Openback headphones tend to have bigger sound stages. Which is $129 refurbished from beach audio, Ebay might have it cheaper.
    http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...452&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=Audio+Techinc+A900X

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-...55121567&sr=1-2&keywords=audio+technica+a900x
    While the open back model the AD900X is cheaper on amazon then the brand new closed back model. Costing $149 new

The DT770 pro-80 which is another headphone that I have used which in fact I currently own as my second pair of headphones, it does a good job with the bass, but it sound stage is not that big, The headphone is light.
    While I have used it with the sound blaster z, I prefer the use the Fiio E7 that I have for it. As I like the way the bass sounds from the combo.
    But it will work good enough from which ever sound card you choice in the future.

The earpads only bothers me a little bit but the headphone cable is very long, so if you sit far from your computer that will be handy.

Ebay currently have the DT770 pro-80 cheaper then amazon usually around 100-110 if you trust ebay. But I found that it doesn't do that well for instrumental to me, just bass heavy stuff like DnB,Drumstep,dubstep and rap.
    Unlike the A900X which i found handles both types of music very well.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Sorry forgot. My budget is around €200. I've been reading about the Fidelio X2 and they seem great but I read that Philips changed manufacturer and quality has suffered.

I managed to find the Sennheiser HD 598 for €180 including shipping which is tempting. I will check the others.

Thanks.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The DT880 pro-250 is 169 euro but amazon does have them for 139 euro used in good cond.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynami...UTF8&qid=1455129807&sr=8-1&keywords=DT880+pro

Which I used as well which from memory did a good job in a wide range of music types too and I also used them for gaming too. The cable are coiled and they a tad tight on the head. I found them to be comfortable. I used them for the same type of music as the other pair that i mentioned that I used. They worked pretty well too.

They will work off a cheap sound blaster Z. here for 49 euro here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-PC...id=1455129995&sr=8-2&keywords=Sound+blaster+z which would make your total 200ish Euro.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If you're after a bass heavy headphone, stay away from the HD598's. You're better off taking GenClaymores suggestions. Your current motherboard comes with ALC1150 and a so-so headphone amp built in, so you wont need to buy a separate card to use any of his recommendations straight away. You'd still be better off grabbing a soundcard or external unit at some point, however.

The DT770's are also worth a look for your uses, should come under budget and they're one of the better 'bassy' headphones out there. The ATH-M50's are also popular with the bass heads, but I personally can't stand them. Both are closed back options, which may or may not be more suitable for your needs. I'd suggest reading up on the subject before buying.

6. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I can buy the DT 880 and the DT 990 directly from their website. They both cost €200 and €16 shipping which is a bit less than from Amazon (Sterling). The only difference between them it seems is that the 880 is semi-open and the 990 is closed. And I guess I should go for the 250ohm version.

I will check out the SoundMagic.

Thanks.

7. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Sennheiser headphones wont pack a bass for a reason they are open headphones.
    If you dont know the difference between open and closed headphones, Id suggest to start from learning more about it.

If you plan to use headphones inside only and have relatevly calm environment, I strongly suggest going for open headphones. Especially if you listen to instrumental music, the sound stage is totally different.

Good luck picking a decent pair!

8. SpecChum

SpecChum Master Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx - Neo G9
    Ultimate Ears 6000 are nice headphones with great bass.

With the Noice Cancelling (NC) off they're a warm, fairly neutral headphone with a modest bass lift but turn the NC and they turn into a V shaped monster, ideal for movies and games. I use mine when I need to be quiet as my other headphones are the open-backed SoundMAGIC HP200's; these have superb bass for an open-back, but it's not quite DT990 levels tho; they reach lower in the sub-bass. I found the mids to be too recessed on the DT990 for music. Good for movies and games tho.

You can pick the UE6000 up pretty cheap nowadays too.

9. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Thanks for your reviews! Appreciate it! :thumbup: Before reading this, I was leaning towards the DT990 because reviews said the DT880 is not for listening to Hip-Hop and should choose DT990 instead.

I will be using them inside and in a quiet environment. I don't need ear drum shattering bass. :) It just has to be noticeable.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  10. JacobVR

JacobVR Guest

GPU:
    2 GB
    Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro ($195). Very highly regarded by our reviewers for its balanced sound, fantastic detail, and comfort. Personally I prefer the EB version, for a bit more punch in the bass, but the EB's are quite a bit larger. Available in a variety of colors.
    Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB is great too ($179). All the precision of the standard Super.fi 5 Pro, with extra kick in the bass. These are the best in-ear phones i've tried, though they may have a bit much bass for some people. Available in a variety of colors too.

11. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Just a simple question. Do the Beyerdynamic headphones have volume control ? For example the DT 880 and DT 990 have an alternate cable with analog volume control. So if I want one, do I have to buy that cable?

12. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Those Beyerdynamic are a really good headphones but they have a spike on the highs (arround 5-8k) if your sensible to that frequency can cause fatigue. I can't use it for more than 30 minutes

My recommendation:
    Sennheiser HD558 / HD598
    Audio Technica M50X

Also check this channel, Tyll Hertsens make really good reviews ....
    https://www.youtube.com/user/InnerFidelity

13. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    DT 770 pro 80's hands down. Would be the best of both worlds for what you want.

14. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    As DW75 mentioned, the HP150 is much better than the M50... and also considerably better than the DT770 (I've only compared them to the 80 and 250 ohm models). The 880 is just behind the HP150 in my opinion.

For this amount of money I wouldn't even mess with any of the Sennheiser cans. If the HD650 is out of your price range then I'd go with the HP100/150. I greatly prefer the look of the HP150 even though I have 2 pairs of HP100.

The Philips Fidelio X2 is also quite good if you want a pair of opens. I own a pair of X1s and the X2 does everything just a hair better than the X1. It has really good bass impact for an open dynamic as well.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  15. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Hey. First of all thanks for all the suggestions. I decided to buy the Philips Fidelio X2 as has been suggested. I wanted an Open Back Headphones. Arrived today. Got them for €210. I got the Gibson version but I don't see any quality issues with the headset. They look and feel well built. They are really comfortable and light for their size. I find the bass optimal and really satisfied.

I need to listen to them more but I think I need to buy an amp/dac to do them really justice. What do you think?

Thanks.

16. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
  17. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    I just bought a pair of Sennheiser 280s they are in my opinion better then ANY of the so-called sub $100 cans they currently sell. Plus I have broken at least 6 diffrent pairs in the last year and a half! The 280s are Built really nice, sturdy, and are comfterable to wear as well. Sure they arent the best but for $100 bucks theres no beating them in my book.

The only other alternative would be Audio-Tecnica, but I have never owned a pair so cannot comment on that. Nz

18. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Looks more for portable use. What do you think about the Schiit Fulla or the Schiit Magni 2 without a DAC using a 3.5mm to RCA cable?

19. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Is it normal to have some channel imbalance? I feel like the left driver is bit louder and produces more bass than the right driver.

20. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I followed it up with some tests a couple of days ago. And yes, my right ear is not as good as my left one. :( From right ear, I hear the audio muffled, as if like there is an object between the driver and my ear making the audio less loud and clear. And the vocals in some of the songs appear a bit off centered to the left. I tested this by inverting the headphones, listening only from one driver at a time and using SineGen to check that it is not the problem of the right driver.

Also checked with my old headphones listening one driver a time and same problem but since these are crappy ones, when listening both at the same time, the issue is not noticeable.