Windows 9 2015

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Satin_Knight, Jan 12, 2014.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just curious, which games? Hopefully Update 1 will solve your problem.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wish more people would take this approach.

Windows8 wasn't bad unless you tried to use it in it's default state. Sure, full screen apps can at times be a major irritant, but sometimes an app is better run in full screen. There is a lot that could have been done better though.

Windows8.1, while a nice improvement over Windows8, has issues all it's own. There's several "features" in Windows8.1 that require an MS account. For me, these "features" become unusable as a result. I've been using Skydrive for a few years now and have a lot of files backed up to Skydrive. To access Skydrive on Windows8.1 you're required to use an MS account for Windows. This is a major security issue and a major inconvenience. I'm using Windows on desktop and laptop PCs and as such, there shouldn't be any requirement for "cloud integration" to use the provided "features". If I wanted "cloud integration" I would have bought a Chromebook. I've now had to move all my files from Skydrive to Google Drive as I need access to those files remotely and Google Drive doesn't require that I compromise the security of my PCs....

Basically, for all OS's going forward, cloud integration will be a make or break function for me. If it's forced for any "features" the OS won't be an option. I'm not going to pay for software that requires me to give the publisher direct access to my computer.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    If it remains with this push toward make it feel like phone/tablet OS then it still a no go. And yes I tried win8 and that was reason why i didnt like

4. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    I'm just tired of Microsoft altogether, and tired of Windows. They may make windows 9 less like 8, but what if they make it worse in other areas, like more cloud intergration, and all that crap being mandatory. Where ever the computer industry goes, microsoft will probably follow. I say everyone should give more support to Linux on desktops/laptops, that way we will always have unlimited choices.

Want a web centric cloud based OS? Or a traditional desktop OS? Or a super lightweight OS for your netbook, or x86 based tablet with a touchscreen? or an OS for your server? There are tons of linux distros for all needs, and purposes, all free.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Still need Windows for my gaming :O Indies are doing a good job supporting OS X and Linux so I'm happy to buy from them when I can.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Once there was OS caled beOS that tried to stop the monopoly MS has on PC it never got off the grounds.

MS has pretty much been unopposed in PC OS land forever. But because they feel threatend by phone/Tablet OS they want to change the PC OS to resemble the phone/tablet OS. and they can get away with it cause there is no OS to oppose them on PC.

They tried to tell console people what is gona happen that failed miserably and they back tracked with in days, and that happened cause they where not the only game on consoles, they the only game on PC as far as OS goe if you really want to game and just many business use MS to boot.

The Monopoly on PC OS is why MS does what it does plain and simple

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well at least their monopoly on the consumer has been broken, that's why they went crazy with 8 :p Great ideas tbh but poorly executed.

They've got enterprises covered with windows 7 so that's like 5 years more at the very least. Heck, if they supplied security patches for XP, I'm sure many would probably stick with it.

8. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I like Windows 8.1, it's much easier than 8.0 as it brings similarities to Windows Phone 8 such as the app list.

What they should've done in the first place was put the Metro interface on the old style desktop where 99% of the desktop does nothing apart from display your wallpaper.

9. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    All they gotta do is take Windows 7 and stamp it Windows 9 and it will sell millions of copies!

10. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    As long as they at least keep the option to use the modern UI I'll be happy, I couldn't go back to just having the desktop ala Windows 7.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Actually, I like Metro UI. here's what I do. I have my desktop reasonably clean, only the icons for most used apps and games on the desktop. Everything else is accessible via Metro. so, say MSI Afterburner, always starts with windows. but say I need to restart it for whatever reason. I have it's icon on Metro. all I have to do is press the Windows key and then the Afterburner icon. done. Sure, I could have the Afterburner icon on desktop, but it's a program I hardly ever have to manually launch so it's in Metro.

For me, Metro is all about a secondary "desktop" with less used programs. Love it. My desktop is nice and clean. Everything else about w8.1 is just fine, bar some game compatibility issues. Those I have always fixed though so not a biggie.

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah I hope they don't go the other extreme. That will be incredibly ridiculous. Thurrot did say the Start Menu will be an option so I guess the Screen won't be going any where either.

13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    well the modern UI i find it perfect for using your pc with a 46" hdtv laying flat on a bed, and when you get sick of staying that way you switch to a corner of the room with a 24" monitor and desktop UI, best thing microsoft could do with win 8, now if they make windows sync across all your devices like playing music on desktop pc and looking at your phone/tablet/laptop like it is playing right there and controling it, and having an unified storage system for when i take a picture with a mobile thing and instantly watch it on my tv@desktop, thats how it should work

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think they're working on it with Smart Glass .. heck the features might already be in there by now.

15. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    I think the people at Microsoft are complete idiots and not in touch with reality or the consumer. How hard can it be to simply patch windows 8 and allow the user to install or not install the metro ui ? Geez Microsoft is totally brain dead.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Building choice into the OS, apparently takes a few more active brain cells than they have....

17. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    Yup, thats where the problem lies, gamers have to use windows for gaming. But if you can buy/install linux games when you can, thats better than ignoring it :)

18. LoccOtHaN

LoccOtHaN Banned

GPU:
    ATi/AMD XFX 7970 DD GhzED
    i like Win 8.1 MCe ;-) its Best Win-dows to date in my opinion.
    Fast and reliable. Cool

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're not going to get the major game studios to suddenly start developing for Linux. It's a pipe dream. The majority of the target audience is Windows only. Major dev studios aren't going to shift to a platform where the projected loss risk is considerably greater than the projected profit. SteamOS and the Steambox is ultimately going to fail exactly for that reason. Linux makes up a projected 5% of the PC market....Windows has a projected 90% of the PC market. If you were a dev studio, where would you be focused?

20. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    This, to an extent.
    I dont think people realize how much work Valve actually has in front of them before this becomes plausible.

Not only do they need to provide competition in the pricing area of things, they also need to justify it. You cant just build a complete game only OS and ship the system for double the price of a console or even at the same price, without providing complete functionality of a normal PC and i think most will look at a Steambox with its game only OS and price tag, then glance over at the cheap laptop/tablet and console that can be both be had for the same or less price.

I dont think Valve have approached this right, they would of been better off getting into the strictly console business directly, then after a successful or even failed attempt, would of atleast had insight to what people are prepared to pay for with what valve wanted to bring to the table. With keyword being Console, casual gamers/mainstream murrys etc are turned off by expensive PC, its not a hobby to them, they just want new 'toys' and a price tag to reflect that toy mentality.

Us pc enthusiasts are a niche whether or no we want to believe it and if we're Valves only target audience then they are doomed to fail, im mean, pretty much everyone round this scene takes pride in the fact that they built their own pc.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014