Internet works without router, once introduced doesn't....

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by d_paluch01, Sep 5, 2009.

1. d_paluch01

d_paluch01 Master Guru

GPU:
    Hey guys

Just moved into a basement apartment, and would love to be able to set up a wireless network for my laptop ect.

Heres the thing, we are on cable internet, and the internet works straight from the modem (modem->pc/laptop w.e.). Once a router is introduced, the vista/win7 machine says local access only, but connects. The XP machine doesn't say that, but has same symptoms. It connects, but cannot access internet....only router settings under 192.168.0.1.

Help me figure this out! I have tried the basics, like resetting router, modem, ect., and even went on google and found others with the same problem. Nothing I have tried works!

To clarify the issue; Wired or wireless through router doesn't work, but internet works when there is no router.

It says there is a DNS error when trying to repair the connection...what can I do?

2. carbonyl

carbonyl Active Member

GPU:
    HD 4850 + custom cooler
    What kind of router are talking about, which brand?

Did you configure it already?

3. Jimmy45

Jimmy45 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 670 PE/OC 2GB
    hi m8, i reckon you need to unplug the power from the modem and plug it in again after you connect it to the router so the modem can read the MAC from the router and then provide an IP address, as the modem is still looking for the machine it was last connected to.

4. carbonyl

carbonyl Active Member

GPU:
    HD 4850 + custom cooler
    Normally you have to configure your router to use a specific mac address, the one you registered with your ISP. Otherwise you can't use the internet, no matter how much you configured all other router settings.

5. d_paluch01

d_paluch01 Master Guru

GPU:
    router is a dlink di-624+. Also bought a new router thinkin that was the problem because I have heard there are problems with the 624, so I bought a DIR-615. Same issue

And yes I set them up...I might have missed something though, so any help would be great

6. carbonyl

carbonyl Active Member

GPU:
    HD 4850 + custom cooler
    First change the router mac address to the one you registered with your Internet Service Provider.

Then, configure the router accordingly, as you please. ( best to let the router serve as a dhcp and dns server for your PCs.)

Then simply change the network settings in windows to automatically obtain an ip adress from your router, .. if you use the router as dhcp server, as suggested (plus dhcp in windows)

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If you're on DSL all you need to do is enter your username and password and away you go.

Never heard of anybody registering a mac address before......

8. d_paluch01

d_paluch01 Master Guru

GPU:
    how do I find my mac address? I just moved into a basement apartment, so the connection was already there. Now that I think of it...I am trying to add a router to a network that already has a wired router....

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Is it a router or a switch?

10. carbonyl

carbonyl Active Member

GPU:
    HD 4850 + custom cooler
    You always have to use a unique mac, Internet connection is limited to only use the unique one, normally you configure your router to use exactly the one you told your ISP. If you buy a new rigg, and your mac address changes, then you have to phone your ISP and let 'em know. Or you change the mac in the router menu to use another one.

Router mac can also be used alternatively, or the one you get with the network card. Doesn't matter which one you decide to use as mac address.

Normal home network without Internet access, no need to worry about mac addresses. On the other hand, Internet connection always requires a unique mac.

Maybe, it's different in other countries, but that's the way unique MACs have to be used where I live.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009

11. d_paluch01

d_paluch01 Master Guru

GPU:
    router

theres is a dlink di-604. i found a tutorial, going to follow that!

12. carbonyl

carbonyl Active Member

GPU:
    HD 4850 + custom cooler
    You mentioned it does work without the router, ...

Just look for the the mac address of your network card. Which isn't hard!

windows key + R -> type in:
    cmd.exe -> ipconfig /all

lists all the network cards, ip and mac addresses.

MAC address has 12 digits, looks like 00:A3:E8:F1:12:, (yours is not the same!) change your router to use that one. (btw not mine either, just wanted to give an example)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  13. Jimmy45

Jimmy45 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 670 PE/OC 2GB

not all routers come with MAC spoofing and as a previous owner of the dlink DI-624+ i dont ever remember that option, where as the netgear router im using now allows me to change the mac address.

when i used the dlink router i had to unplug the power from my modem and connect it to the router, power on the router first and after it had booted up i had to power on the modem which would then discover the mac address on the router and then assign an ip address.

this was with ambit 250 and 256 cable modems on NTL \ virgin media broadband uk

the way the unique mac works over here is its on the modem and only the modem registered on first usage can be used to receive the internet connection, to change modems you have to contact the ISP and tell them the MAC code written on the bottom of the unit so they can assign your account to that modem, otherwise you can connect any computer or router to the modem as long as you reboot it between changes.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Woah... You can't have more than one router - on a network you need a switch.

That aside, all you need to do is connect the router to your computer via the Ethernet cable, type in 192.168.0.1 to connect.

It would be easier to disable DHCP and assign a static LAN address to your computer.

The only reason you would need to assign a mac address to your router is if you have a static I.P. assigned by your ISP.....in which case you can turn off dhcp anyway....

15. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    While you can technically use multiple routers in a network, it's not recommended unless you really know what you're doing.

If you're trying to add things via Wireless, you need a switch and/or Wireless Access Point, not a Router.