Leaked BIOS easily turns Radeon HD 7970 into GHz Edition

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Lane, Jul 10, 2012.

1. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'm still losing my second screen in anything other than 2D clocks, no matter what settings I use, bumped the voltage up too but still my second screen locks up and doesn't come back.

Switched to default bios and all is ok again. looks like I'm going to have to force flash to return to default bios as well. Oh well!:(

2. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Bad luck ... will be interessant if you can give use the Asic quality of your card.

In addition peoples who use this bios, can you report the max Vcore usable under MSIAB and Trixx ( attention the new version of Trixxx allow allready more voltage for OC ( 1368 or 1388mv if im right )..

Anyway for multimonitor, this is a known thing, not a bug, the cards run at 500/1500mhz, ( even Nvidia cards work like that. ) ( hence the higher powerconsumption reported by review in multi-monitor tests ). Even if you just wire a TV on the cards it will goes like that. Dont ask me why, but this is like that for multi-monitor since some generation.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  3. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    That is odd my cards prior to this bios update were running at 300/150 with eyefinity enabled. I noticed when moving windows around I would ghosting trails following the window. I wonder if that is the cause of my black screen crashes. They only seemed to happen when a game goes 2d or switching from 2d to 3d.

4. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    I have a lightning which stocks 1070/1400, so this bios is of no use to me, but I do have a question. This card has a dual bios. Could you install the GHZ bios to Slot B for testing and if it got destroyed return to A for the working original? Just curious.

5. kidsafe

kidsafe Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    Anyone know why I can't flash my reference 7970 with this executable? I'm getting the "Invalid PC BIOS Image" message. Using ATIWinFlash with normal 7970 BIOSes works fine otherwise.

6. Comrade_Jerkov

Comrade_Jerkov Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 G1
    I don't see the point. The chip is the chip. 1275/1700 @ only 1.2v is a dream overclock. I would be happy just leaving it there.

7. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire

Yes that is what I did. I got the ghz edtion Bios on switch 1 and normal write protected switch 2.

8. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire

Did you run as administrator ?

9. kidsafe

kidsafe Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    Yep.

10. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    Kidsafe

Do you have a different Bios on the card now? If so maybe try and flash back to the original bios then try the AMD ghz bios tool.

11. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    same problems...

I simply don't want to flash to ghz edition for make 12.7 stable, i tried but

it's say to me can't do with that...

12. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    this!

13. kidsafe

kidsafe Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    I just copied the ROM from the other position on the switch to the writable one and tried the GHz BIOS executable, still the same error.

14. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    What is the "1000 mhz" voltage that people are talking about with regards to voltage control?

And yeah there doesn't seem to be a way to change the regular 3d voltage. (Ram voltage is the same). Not an issue if you were fine with 1175/1187, though, but for others....

And no GSOD anymore in 2D on 12.7's! I did get one in BF3, but that was my fault because I had the RAM running at 1750 (forgot I had it that high) and BF3 did three pauses first and resumes (not a vpu recover) then the 4th one, GSOD. Set it back to 1700, the proper max and I was fine.

Anyone have a solution for vcore 3d changes or do we have to email Sapphire for an updated Trixx?

15. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    Just tossing this out there don't know if it matters or not but is your card in the first PCIE slot? Do you have onboard video?

16. kidsafe

kidsafe Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    It's in the first x16 slot, there's one x1 above it. It's on a P8P67 Deluxe, so the board really shouldn't be seeing the Intel HD 3000 on the the 2600K. I don't want to try moving the card to a different slot since it's part of my water cooling loop.

17. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    Adapter 0
    invalid pc bios image

this ?!

to me too...

18. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    No voltage control. the only reason i tried this to see if i can get the 12.7 to work. Strange thing is another thing i did notice before switching to the other bios is there was no coil buzz.

19. Danake

Danake Guest

GPU:
    Asus 280x x2
    Tried to flash this a couple times last night on a Diamond 7970 Reference with no luck. It flashed successfully then restarted, but when I was back in windows it wouldn't recognize as an ATI card, just as a generic VGA adaptor. Installed 12.7 beta before and after the flash but when installed after the flash I would get "No ATI device found"

I then restored the original and reflashed a couple different GHz ed I found around the net and all gave the same result.

For anyone who comes across this problem you can easily flash your original back by flipping the switch on your card to "1" restart windows (this loads your second bios which has the original) run ATIwinflash and "save" your image/bios. Then flip the switch to "2" while in Windows, run ATIwinflash again but this time load and flash your backup.

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I'm starting to think it depends on the modifications done by the vendor of the card.

Even Reference models, if the vendor makes the slightest change it seems it can set something off. Otherwise it should flash with no issue.

Custom PCB's etc may need specific BIOS instructions done by the vendor's BIOS.

Question though, have you tried to flash with no drivers installed? This is how I did it, and it accepted the flash with no issue.