The 13th Doctor

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Loobyluggs, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The only question I got is this: Are they doing this so they can lead into the first transgender-lesbian-bromance ?

/jk

All joking aside, the quote by the actress is quite telling about her lack of understanding about the role:

"I want to tell the fans not to be scared by my gender..."

We're not, Jodi. We're terrified that you think we are, because if you think that, you must think that we do not care about anything else to do with the series. In turn, that means that you are the one who is projecting your perception of what is the most important thing, when it's not.

And let's be honest, everyone knows you were not the first choice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/0/will-replace-peter-capaldi-next-doctor/richard-ayoade/

2. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    IntelĀ® HD Graphics
    Ayoade for the 14th Doctor!

It wasn't a big shocker considering they'd tested the water with Missy and the reference to the gallifreyan who had become female in an earlier episode. I just hope they don't use it to just push the PC end and actually play it well.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's definitely PC. Maybe we'll see a Janet Bond as a 007 when Daniel Craig finishes (which he is btw). Alternatively a black James Bond The correct definition of PC is 'Pathetic Cr@pn3$$', because it is both pathetic and cr@p. Correcting gender, racial, and other imbalances is a good thing only if it isn't a result of choosing a person or defining a character based purely on what they are or for whom the character represents. For James Bond, suddenly changing race would be completely inappropriate as it's not the character. The best inclusion is where you don't even notice, obvious inclusion is what the guys from South Park were getting at with the character Token. This has been joked about before numerous times about having a black guy in it to keep people happy. There are many great black actors that fit the roll perfectly. For any inclusion I'd like to see this, the perfect person for the roll, not because of their gender or race. This is apart from established characters like the James Bond example. Luckily story wise Doctor Who allows for gender changes, and although seemingly alien there are several species of animal in real life that do change gender.

She will have to do an exceptional job in the role as people will be more critical of the performance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I will miss Capaldi, but this is great news, sci-fi doing what sci-fi is supposed to do, be sci-fi. lol

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    More doctor who cool, not really bothered about who plays it

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Having a woman playing Doctor Who makes perfect sense because the Doctor gets re-incarnated in a new body. Making other male characters female (such as in the reboot of Battlestar Galactica), simply smacks of PC being taken too far.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    When I think of "James Bond" I think "Suave" "Handsome" "Clever" "Always gets hot women" "awesome gadgets" "awesome cars" "sometimes cheesy villains" - I don't think "White Guy"

I was totally on board with the Idris Elba James Bond movement. He fits all the characteristics perfectly. Plus I loved his acting in Luther. Him being black never really bothered me and I don't think his race has anything to do with the character.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just tell her to never go full Janeway.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    There's a big difference between BSG (which was super cool) and DW.

Imagine having Romeo & Juliet being played by transgender old black people, which is possible if you include a subplot about witches and magic for no reason other than getting your cake and then stuffing it down the face of everyone else.

The Doctor is a male character, and that is how the original script and character creator wrote him.

This reeks of PC, and I suspect it is why the 'current' series exec decided to leave and wash his hands of it.

I give her one season.

The only way I could ever think it is acceptable and not tolerable is if they never, ever mention the fact she is now a female. If I switch on and she says something like 'its about time!' and then looks at the camera 'wink wink' or anything like that at all in any way. I'm switching off, because if that's how they want to play it, I simply do not have any faith in the show at all.

To be honest, it's not that hard right now due to poor stories and lack of imagination - most episodes in the last year or so have had me reaching for the smartphone anyway, only to glance up at the screen to see yet another poor episode with a monologue exactly 5.47 mins before the story is sewn up for another 7 days.

Screw that, it's been like that for the last ten years. Why do I watch this show again?

10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    ROFL.

I miss Janeway. Dang, I miss that whole show. Thank goodness for netflix and high-speed internet.

The Best of Both Worlds from ST:TNG has got nothing on Scorpion Part One & Two - both overlapped the forth season, too.

And then Seven of Nine stepped out...push-up bras doubled in sales overnight...what's The 13th Doctor got? nothing. I could name 100 actresses that are a way better choice than the MILF wannabe they picked...I guess she was the cheapest...have to check the BBC salary list at the end of the FY to check, but yeah, I reckon she was dirt cheap over the other choices they could've picked.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I was bit sad that in last movie Tilda was not Dr. She is brilliant.
    And if we take her performance in Constantine, she can play gender-less perfectly.

Only problem is that she is too intense to play in TV series. Even if it is high budget and popular.

12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh, she totally would've been on the top ten of my list, bloody brilliant actress, but - too expensive.

Caroline Ford I think could've pulled it off and potentially trebled the viewership overnight...if you do not know who she is:

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I've seen a black female Santa Claus one time at the mall...you could even see her ball sack when she bent over...scary.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I do not know her performances, but she is totally charismatic and talks lovely.

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You do realise that Santa is addressing the mothers when he says Ho Ho Ho!

He can be of any race it wouldn't matter, it's an established character of any race as long as they're Christian Coke drinkers.

I disagree with a black James Bond simply because there's no need. The only time it would be okay is if it were genuinely cast as the best person for the role. If it looks like they chose a black person because they're black and people recognise this, it could potentially kill the franchise. This is why the female Doctor Who has particularly difficult roll to fill. Doctor Who is British and started in the early 1960's. Does that actually make her Doctor wHoover? ;). Sss how intended equality can be bad for equality?! This would actually set equality back. Equality works both ways, maybe in the US they could cast a white to play Shaft.

For non-established characters choosing the best person for the role is best, and some cases the role might specifically call for a person of a specific race, skin colour, features, obviously gender. This is of course, fine. I think it is almost more anti-equality to choose a particular person for a role with the specific attempt of trying to be inclusive.

Equality needs to be natural, if it's forced it's not equality but rather an equality illusion.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Oh, dewd, you have got to see her play Merlin's girlfriend in "Once Upon a Time".

Seems like a nice touching scene right? WRONG! It's painfully tragic, if you know the outcome...

17. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So my guess here is we will see a rather large spike in the first and second episode viewership before the numbers run back to normal. I would like to say that this is purely an attempt to try something new, after all Star Trek is going back to the female, dual female captain role so why not give the DR a run at that.

On the other hand I bet a lot of folk at the Beeb know what a sh*t storm this would cause and that a direct result of this sh*t storm, once you get past the usual retards being retards on the internet opinion forums will be those folk tuning in just so they can be proven right with whatever opinion they have formed about the DR being female.

So chances are the first two episodes will also be the ones that get the biggest budgets because this is the one chance they are going to have to get all those folk that haven't watched Dr Who for a while but are coming back to see what all this sh*t storm is about.

As for myself, couldn't give a f*ck haven't watched Dr Who since Matt Smith took over.

Yeah Richard Ayoade is too busy just now being a sh*t version of Richard O'brian on the rebooted Crystal Maze.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Contracts are contracts. Y'need to ask why he has the expression of someone who doesn't care...

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've only seen a few episodes of Doctor Who. I thought it was pretty interesting, but I can never seem to catch it on TV anymore. Guess I'll have to try a little harder to catch it again....

In an Interview, they asked Idris Elba if he would accept the role of James Bond if it were offered to him. He said he wouldn't want to play James Bond. I can't wait to see The Dark Tower though....lol Idris Elba is the only black actor I've seen that I believe could actually pull off the role of James Bond, naturally.... Idris Elba did an awesome job in Pacific Rim and as Krall in Star Trek Beyond and he does good as Heimdall in the Thor movies. He just seems to fit into the roles he's given with no indication that the roles were written for him.

Idris Elba at this best... you can actually see and feel the emotion in his speech....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5_Bc8ixvv8

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    He'd play the shark from Jaws if he wanted.

But not Juliet, because that character is female...unlike The Doctor who is male, so should not be played by a female...