fresh win7 install won't boot after nvidia driver installation

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by W@w@Y, Feb 22, 2013.

1. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Hi guys, i have a very weird issue with my system.last nightmy pc wont boot unless i enter safe mode.unfortunatelyvi had system restore off and after numerous ties of startup repair and repairing bcd via command prompt i justvgavevup, saved my files on safe mode and reformatted my pc

So the reformat went fine until i installed my videocard driver and the problem happened sgain.now with restore point, im able to get to windows if i restore prior to installing graphics card driver.tried different drivers (latest and older 300 series) and same problem

Annoyed, i reformattef again.this time no problems encountered, until again i reach graphics card driver installation. I didnt even installfrom nvidia download but the nvidia wdm from windows update.

So im now again on system restore.all drivers installed,windows update installed but no graphics card drivers

Any hints whats the problem and how to solve? Thanks

2. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Sorry I forgot to elaborate. By saying i cannot get to windows.i meant i can only get till the windows logo.after that im stuck and screen will turn off (monitor says power saving mode) but i see hdd led blinking

On all instances though i could getvto safe moee

3. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    I have a silly question. Do you have another monitor or flat panel connected along with your main monitor?

4. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Nope.just a single monitor for me

5. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    oh, I was kind of hoping you did and that your card was flipping over to the second monitor. That's happened to me. Of course the second monitor was turned off. Duh!

Anyway, goodluck with this and if I can think of anything else, I'll be sure to get back here.

6. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Thanks, Ill try to reseat the card when I get home. Maybe somethings loose. I dunno but this is the first time I encountered such problem and I cant get similar threads when I search google =(

7. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    You say you can get into safe mode. Do you have drivers installed for your monitor or has windows installed drivers, other than the generic plug n play monitor drivers? If yes, go into safe mode and uninstall that and use the windows plug n play drivers. See if that helps.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Try reseating the card. If that doesn't fix it.....find another computer to test the card in.

9. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    AMD requires Dot Net Framework installed on the computer before Catalyst driver can be installed.

Is it the same with Nvidia drivers?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  10. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Not that I'm aware of. I've never encountered any errors or prompts telling me I've needed it installed before installing Nvidia drivers.

11. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Thanks forvthevfeedback. I will try to reseat the card tonight and let you guys know if it fixes the problem

12. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    update:

I didnt even have to do much reseating. So I continued Windows update and kept excluding nvidia WDM 1.2

All updates completed then I restarted. Again same problem. So I opened my case, removed the 2 6pin PCIe power and reseated (they werent even loose). I also reseated the SATA cable (SSD side only and didnt touch mobo side)

Restated and voila! windows logged in. to add to the weirdness, I noticed the desktop looked 1920x1080..And I checked. nVIDIA drivers (306.97) are already installed ( I didnt even install nvidia but I had a copy of the installer in my drivers folder

Tried a few restarts already and it will get to windows fine. weird indeed

13. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Weirdness and computers can sometimes go hand in hand. I'm glad you got your issue sorted out and thanks for sharing how you fixed it.

14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    Yeah.the nvidia drivers gettibg installed still puzzles me though :)