Imperial At-At

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by ASPHIAX, Apr 7, 2012.

1. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    Thanks! I will make some more, bit shorter though maybe 3 minutes or something.
    Its a Sony Nex3, nothing special, but a very good camera for the money.

2. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    this could be the best mod ive ever seen, its going to look awesome when finished. in post #5 did you build that uss voyager aswell and is it rig?

wow just noticed in post #18 that your only 2-3ish years old, imagine how good your going to be at modding when you reach adulthood lol.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  3. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    Yeah I built the USS EURISKO also! It also watercooled with the reservoirs are the warp nacelles that can move up and down.
    That one was actually my first build, took me about 450 manhours!
    Here you can see the final pictures of that one

LOL, That's my daughter! She helps me from time to time. She will probably be the best at computerskills later.

4. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi all, here is another update of the work that I had to do for the AT-AT!

Started work on the reservoir that needed to be placed between the legs !
    [​IMG]

Heavily modified the clamp to made it fit perfectly when the I/O hood was placed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was really removing a mm at a time to make it fit perfectly !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued --->>>

5. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

Fits perfectly into the design of the AT-AT's underbelly IMO !
    [​IMG]

Cutting away all the places where ther res needed to go, left me with a large hole through which light could escape! This hasd to be fixed !
    [​IMG]

Fixed!
    [​IMG]

I modded a 10 cm ccfl to fit inside the reservoir !
    [​IMG]

Just need to make a resistor setup to be able to control the amount of light emitted by the CCFL. This is just too strong ! I had to cover the whole inside of the body with alu tape to prevent light from shining through!
    [​IMG]

That was it for this update!
    The video will follow soon!

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Awesome job.

I remember your Star Trek mod, easily in my top 5 mods of all time, terrific work on that one.

7. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    Thanks man!
    This one was much faster lol!
    Got another 9 month major star trek build planned for end of the year !

8. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
  9. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor 6700XT
    When you said that you were going to put the reservoir between the legs, a whole bunch of dirty thoughts came to mind, but now see it, it looks very cool. It looks like a power generator. I agreed with you that it is a bit too bright, but other than that it is coming out great!

10. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    Hahaha, Mounting the reservoir between the legs ...
    Thanks! I am looking at hooking the ccfl up to the fancontroller also (just 2 thin wires that i can route through the legs) So if i need to crank up the rpm on the fans as I am overclocking her, the ccfl will burn brighter also. maybe nice effect will have to test it out.

11. dmp316

dmp316 Guest

GPU:
    ATi Radeon 7690m XT
    simply wicked. I love this. Very awesome work.

12. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    Thanks man !
    Will have a build update soon !

13. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the Most of the routing work for the legs and reservoir work done, I could start on the base. The idea was to have the radiators, PSU, fancontroller, flowmeter, UV strip and media bay in the base as that would not fit inside the body.

[​IMG]

Had a couple of pieces of mesh left over from the EURISKO. Thats why i keep telling my wife, never throw away anything ... And why i got so much crap scattered across my workspace , lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The whole base is going to be covered with pieces of styrene.
    [​IMG]

Cut ou the letters by hand, could have gotten a lasercutter to do it more precise but I just like this work !
    [​IMG]

Glueing it all together, another job for my trusted fret saw. It weighs 40 pounds !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn it. Red UV plexi has the tendency to go pink.
    Also the styrene is not lightproof enough so you can see the plexi through it.
    [​IMG]

Fixed it with some Aluminum tape !
    [​IMG]

I really needed to get some more red into the base, luckily I had this rgb strip laying around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued --->>>

14. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

Wiring , wiring , wiring ...
    [​IMG]

Ah that looks better ...
    [​IMG]

Finally I could get started on soldering all the connectors back. I am so hoping I labelled it all correctly ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I could not use screws to mount everything correctly in place as that would be visible on the top side of the base, so I had to resort to an old disney trick ... TAPE IT !!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final result ... Well almost, the connecting tube between the rads has been cut in 2 and a flowmeter has been placed to make sure I had adequate flow.
    [​IMG]

Gotta love them enermax fans, they arent the most quiet around but they sure do look pretty. Sort of like a generator ..
    [​IMG]

And with the base almost done, I could start on the body side soldering and placing of the hardware !
    [​IMG]

Until the next update !

15. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    .jpg?w=370&h=[/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
  18. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi all, here is the final update of the work that I had to do for the AT-AT!

Started work on the laser assembly for in the head. The head was well designed with multiple layers , hats off to the people at HASBRO !!!

[​IMG]

I had to remove the leds that were in the lasre cannons and drill holes for the laser ligtht to get out !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lasers had to be taped down and calibrated to fit exactly through the holes and not deviate to much when aimed at the wall. Cant have them pesky rebels escape cause we cant aim properly !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed a couple of red leds to light up the front window
    [​IMG]

I use a TSOP 1838 IR receiver to analyse the output of a old remote (from a broken hdmi switcher) and program the arduino to shoot the lasers at different patterns.
    [​IMG]

Found a nice place to store the Arduino also.
    [​IMG]

Last electrical check, yes everything works, now lets install the hardware and connect the watercooling stuff.
    [​IMG]

Filling station. The res I use to fill it up is on the top. Cause the input of liquid is directly in front of the pump, it wont run dry. Only thing was the air inside the system. Took a while before everything got out.
    [​IMG]

And there we have it, fully filled up and operational.
    [​IMG]

OH NO !!! I had to change out a fitting cause it was leaking and during that some liquid got trapped inside the aux 12v connector of the motehrboard. When the case was upright it didnt short anything. When the case was on its side ... IT DID !!!
    So long Motherboard, CPU and GPU !!!!
    [​IMG]

Continued --->>>

19. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Guest

GPU:
    2x GTX 580
    So with 2 days left before the LAN party it was stress time !! Had to remove all the affected hardware and replace with new.
    [​IMG]

Hmm, which one was the broken one again ... DAMN !!!
    [​IMG]

And test out if everything worked again ... Luckely it did !
    [​IMG]

But after all the stress and driving around the country to get the exact parts I needed, with 2 hours left before the beginning of the LAN party I could relax. Its finished !!!
    [​IMG]

Now one last big job, how to get it to the party ... The same technique Luke used to trip one over, I used to keep it steady ... LOL
    [​IMG]

At the party some final adjustments (a piece of plastic inside the PSU kept touching the fan causing a terrible annoying high pitch sounds)
    [​IMG]

But there it is, I made it !
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now back at my house, I am redesigning my office. I have changed the hardware layout a little. The GPU is out and replace with 3 x 2 Tb HDD (just barely fitted) and its functioning as my NAS ! Probably one of the few watercooled NAS out there ...
    [​IMG]

With the USS EURISKO and the AT-AT my office got a upgrade !
    [​IMG]

And that was it ! Look here for the full picture log of the appereance at the lan party "the party 10"
    I will be covering the base with styrene and maybe do some airbrushing to liven up the exterior of the AT-AT so keep posted for updates !

Hope you enjoyed the build as much as I did and I am already working on the next one !
    ASPHIAX

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Awesome job!

I just had a thought, the AT-AT looks a bit too clean. Why not add some battle damage to it? Maybe not as extreme as the following picture but along these lines:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]