Go with Win8.1 or wait?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Kira, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Kira

Kira Guest

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 780Ti
    Hi guys,
    I'm going to refresh my system by installing the Os new.
    I'm also going to get new hardware like the 780ti and i7 4790k, as well a new motherboard - not sure which one.
    However, is it worth to spend 80€ for Windows 8 / 8.1 ?
    I read that some games benefit from it and that you get almost everywhere a lot of % more performance. Is it true or just a Battlefield 4 thing?
    If I should upgrade, which Windows would you recommend? If I buy Windows 8, am I suppose to upgrade to Windows 8.1 for free?

Thanks

2. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    Yes 8.1 is free

3. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Yes 8.1 is free and they're even saying now that Windows 9 will be a free update for 8.1 users. If so, there is no reason to wait.

4. HairyCube

HairyCube Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
    I keep hearing that 8.1 is much faster in several games, but my experience in a number of games has proved otherwise. Any articles, benchmarks to support that Windows 8.1 is indeed faster?

5. Derragon

Derragon Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670/2GB
    Windows 8.1 isn't really "faster" or "slower" in any games right now, but there is some speculation that due to the fact that Windows 8.1 has lower resource requirements than, say, Windows 7 that there is possibly an increase in FPS in certain scenarios. It's really within a 3-5% difference though, which most people would consider to be within the margin of error (meaning there is really no difference).

I'd say go for 8.1. I've been using Windows 8 since the developer preview and have liked it since the beginning, even with the changes to the smart menu. If you have an open mind and actually learn to use it, it's just as good (or even better) than Windows 7/Vista/XP's start menus. That and it's far easier to deploy for myself when I am building systems when compared to Windows 7. WinPE5.1 + ADT are (personally) far better alternatives to ImageX/MDT.

6. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    It's not "much faster" in any games but in a lot of them it is slightly better.

7. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    just get it

8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I use 8.1 and it's as good as 7 was for gaming, maybe better in some cases. Make sure you get all the absolute latest drivers though. I've had a few minor issues with older drivers.

9. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    win8.1 rocks, i'm using vanilla without any updates, no crash of any kind since I put rig together two days ago.
    mouse felt a lil laggy so I went 75hz from 60hz is all.

10. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    There was an update that fixed that :)

11. Denco

Denco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    Sadly I had to downgrade back to windows 7 because I had to use old realtek drivers for SupremeFX xfi to work with my onboard sound card. Also having physx on in games like Borderlands 2 and Assassins Creed BF takes a huge hit on your fps specialy the later which is unplayable with physx on.

Otherwise its a solid OS, but until the second issue gets fixed I have no intention going back. For my first issue I can always buy a sound card.

12. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    thanks I did find that update and I installed the explorer flash update too and that's it.
    but yeah after the mouse fix update I noticed the difference. :)

13. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Personally I would use windows 7 ultra. My opinion windows 8 and 8.1 are complete trash and windows 9 will be worse with the auto cloud and monitoring bs they going to do. Soon I will be forced only to use Linux and whine.

14. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I dont know maybe because I get ocd with some things. and I notice little things and it bothers me.

for example.

on my system dosbox responds slower to keyboard presses on windows 8 then windows 7.

on windows 7 its like key repeat is superfast compared to windows 8.

and keyboard settings are the same on both win 7 and 8

in a way it nice on windows 8 because when in windows 7 in dosbox. I was always typing double letters. but then it makes me think its running slowing in windows 8.

then everyone is excited about windows 9. and Im woundering if directdraw will still be broken in it.

I dont know if other people had problems. but some games in windows 8 has issue with my xbox 360 wireless controller for me.

also find it annoying that windows 8 makes disconnect sounds for the controller and disconnect and reconnects, when starting games.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014