NVIDIA Stops Production of GeForce GTX 580.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by TheDeeGee, Apr 14, 2012.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well you said ALL which blatantly isnt true. You know it and I know it so why post something that is a complete overexaggeration?

Yes we know you think amd is wonderfull and nvidia sucks but really you have to be that obvious?

Like most fanboys you'll pick up on any scraps and then use them/flame when you can.

Yeah I wouldnt have got one myself because I still dont think sli is without issues and yeah there were cases of these cards needing to be rma'd.

Am sure though there were plenty of peeps who got good cards. Although you dont see 2 many 590 owners around...

So all in all a bit of a fail card i reckon but try to be realistic, I do realise that's difficult for you through your warped amd specs :)

2. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    But still you need to take into account the die hard nvidia fans out there. Even if they were given a 7970 for free Im pretty sure they'd still swap it with a GTX 680. :D

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Rich Guy, I will alert nvidia about the no point in getting a 680 now since you are obviously right. no point in making any more based on your well though out theory:)

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No idea where you're getting the same performance part from, every review out there puts the 680 ahead of the 7970 by a good amount, except for Metro and AVP.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    he must of meant same performance with v synch on?

6. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    Exactly, the review right here on guru3d clearly makes the GTX 680 a better performer than the 7970.. so even though AMD cuts the prices the 680 would still win because of its performance

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The 580 was alot more expensive than the 6970 but still sold well, the 680 can sit at £400 and still sell really well, even with the 7970 at £350.

Nvidia don't need price cuts, they just need more choice when it comes to cards, AMD have six while Nvidia just the one.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There was a video interview with one of Nvidia engineers, I forget what site it was with - but anyhoo he basically said that Nvidia feels their GPU's are premium products with the support they provide to the developers and other features they carry and he never expects for their cards to be priced lower then their competition because of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER3nv7NTwbs

This is the interview, he says it somewhere in there but I'm too lazy to find it. But yeah, he made it seem like Nvidia wasn't really concerned that their products were higher priced because they feel they offer a superior product and service.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i'm no nvidia die-hard but if you had both cards surely you'd test both and choose the better runner (i.e fps/heat/noise/drivers)?

but yeah am sure there a few that wouldnt even bother testing..

p.s i would sell the 7970 at a good price here on guru :)

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I know I certainly would as it is a better card IMO with better drivers and more features.

Not that I'm saying I'm a die-hard "fan boy" or anything, just a loyal customer who finds NVIDIA graphics cards to a cut above the competition. After all, brand loyalty only lasts as long as the products are good. If someone releases a duff product then you quite rightly look elsewhere (as I did when the GTX 480 came out and I bought an HD 5870).

I've only ever owned three ATI/AMD cards but all of them have come with issues of some kind that have annoyed me plus I've always found the drivers to be lacklustre personally (OpenGL, although not used so much these days, was always a weak point with ATI cards when I had them). It does seem like AMD owners are the most likely to experience problems with new games too, not always, true, but more often it seems than NVIDIA.

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah sorry about that, i missed out when both are clocked, as when both are, theres nothing in it, so my apologies for that, as at stock, and as the reviews do show as pointed out above, the 680 is the faster, so i can see why you would buy a 680 over a 7970 if you don't OC, but if you do, then both are as good as each other, and with the 7970's here in the UK, now being around £100 cheaper than the 680, then it has to be the better buy if you OC, well is in imo, as for £100 less, your getting the same performance, and an extra gb ram.

Im sorry but thats not true at all, Nvidia doesn't suck, their 590 did, as it was going boom, it was just a bad card for them, it happens, as it does for AMD, as they have also made bad cards in the past, remember how bad their 2900 was, what a heap of utter crap that was, was a total fail wasn't it.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2900 series was fail yes but the 590 series was not fail for the reasons I mentioned several times already. I you have evidence to support your claim present it now. valid links and such, and the 590 reviews you would probs link is not evidence. just review cards pushed way too far. a minor oc and you have past 570 sli performance on a single card. not saying the card is better than it is Rich Guy, but it is nowhere near a fail like them old ati cards

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    While not a fail as such, i don't think the 590's were very good personally, and i don't think Nvidia had much faith in them either.

Rich, where are you seeing a £100 difference, i'm seeing £350 for the 7970 and £400 for the GTX680.

14. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Heres a link for you (and theres plenty more out there like this) :-

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7595721.page

Was at stock clocks, and reduced voltage, now, i know what replys are going to come, as theres plenty of people in there replying with the usual, as its a Nvidia card, so im not responding on this matter anymore.

@Redemption80, i only saw the 680 prices at Overcockends, their cheapest are £80 more than the 7970 now.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    1 card? funny stuff. I can link a borked 7970 too, all cards have some rma bud

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yeah right it's an nvidia thread so we who post with nvidia cards are all pro-nvidia.

you posted cack and have been corrected, end of story.

17. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yes its one card, but as i said, theres plenty more out there like that, but im not linking to them, as just no point, your reply, and the one above, are what i was expecting, so like above, end of story. :)

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU: