PS Vita Thread

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by dchalf10, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Don't get me wrong, it's still an awesome game and the only game apart from Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3 that I'm buying tomorrow :)

2. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Congrats on the 32gb! :D Mine will allow me to look after my son instead of spending all my free time in the pc/music room.

3. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    meh, doesnt appeal to me in any way :(

4. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    mostly i'm looking forward to the rpgs, unfortunately they are not coming out any time soon. Gonna get the wifi version tonight and shinobido if its there and Hot shots golf.
    None of the other titles appeal to me at all except for SH book of memories.
    I may end up getting uncharted when it goes down by a lot.

5. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I tried a bowling game on a friend's smart phone. I went on the Internet on my computer and found out that there's a lot of games for tablets and smart phones than for PSP and PS Vita and most of them are free. I can't decide between a tablet or a smart phone or PS Vita.

6. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Have fun with Angry birds games... I know I don't. At all.

7. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Just about every game on the Smartphones or Tablets was either produced by a bedroom programmer or with the fact its going to have a 99p pricetag in mind.

Once you factor in that, and the fact touchscreen joysticks will kill any remaining pleasure you will get from the games dead in one, then you may think the Vita is a good bet.

One thing I can guarantee is that if you are satisfied with the quality of games on phones then Vita is probably not for you anyway.

8. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Just got mine; wifi model, fifa, wipeout and UMVC3 for £289 from game! I also paid for 1 yr accidental damage which bought the total to £317.97 at GAME. Glad I bought it from the shop as there were 4 games for only £25 when bought with a vita, those games are; Fifa, Virtua Tennis 4, F1 and Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3.

Good deal tbh, just waiting for my 32GB memory card now.

Guy in front of me bought one and had a massive grin on his face, guy after me bought one too. Woman at the bigger GAME next to Maccys bought 2 of the 3G models with 2 8GB memory cards, 2 copies of Wipeout and 2 starter kits!

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  10. Wanny

Wanny Guest

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    for you maybe, other people will maybe think otherwise. imo its a bad decision since others are getting it.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I didn't get around to actually opening my PSV until 6:30pm yesterday and then it took me almost an hour to open everything, including the games, memory card and pre-order/starter kits. The PSV itself really is a thing of beauty, feeling light and looking solid, shiny and well-made. The game card and memory slots are a bit fiddly for my big hands though plus I bite my fingernails so opening them was awkward (I ended up using a paperclip). I was shocked at how small the 16 GB memory card was, it really is tiny, but proceeded to fit it and closed the flap, or at least I thought I had (more on that later).

After turning on the PSV (and initially panicking because I didn't realise you had to hold down the Power button for 5 seconds), the screen lit up and I was blown away by the bright, sharp image on display. It really does look lovely, so much so that I wish my own HDTV was OLED (god, it looks so dull in comparison). After the initial PSV setup and updating of my router settings to allow the handheld to use Wi-Fi, I then proceeded to do the firmware update from v1.06 (hell, that was old!) to v1.61. Took around two minutes and everything worked perfectly upon the PSV restarting. Setting up the PSV to use my existing PS3 PSN account was a little more hassle as I found I couldn't remember my password! D'oh! I ended up having to do the Password Reset thing and it took 10 minutes before I got the email. Once I set up the new password, I was able to sign-in to my account and check out the PS Store. The Store is very well laid out IMO and was packed with content so I bought Super Stardust Delta and Motorstorm RC, since they were cheap, and registered my £5 pre-order kit voucher online to buy Escape Plan. Why Sony couldn't just give everyone a code for £5 credit on the store against any game I do not know as after registering the code, I got an email and had to click on that to receive confirmation that it has worked. I've now got to wait for yet another email with the actual code for Escape Plan. 12 hours later and I still don't have it. :(

Anyways, I set loads of demos downloading, including Unit 13, Asphalt Racing and Dungeon Hunter: Alliance, and tried out a couple of my physical games while I waited. The first game I tried was Virtua Tennis 4. I was really impressed at how it looks and plays identically to the console versions (minus vibration). It really does look superb and has all the content of the 360/PS3/PC version. This was the first game that gave me a taste of the PSV's analogue stick and I have to say that after some initial apprehension over them feeling a little loose and flimsy, I think they work brilliantly once you adjust to their size and Virtua Tennis 4 plays great with them. I thought the buttons might be too small but found them, thankfully, to be absolutely fine and I had no problems using them. Only the triggers feel a little cheap and spongy IMO. I briefly tried Uncharted: Golden Abyss, only for 10 minutes though, but it really is the showcase game for the PSV's visuals IMO. The game might not run at a native 960x544 but it still looks incredible on the OLED screen, adding to the feel of playing a PS3 game on a compact handheld. This game more than any of the others I've seen so far blew me away and I loved the touch screen implementation as I was climbing around at the start. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this game at lunchtime. :)

After that I tried the demos and other downloadable games as they installed. I found out at this point that I had not installed the memory card properly as it turned out that you have to push it right in so it doesn't pop out again (I stupidly thought closing the flap was what prevented that!); something that was difficult with my large fingers. I managed it in the end though and was able to download at last. Super Stardust Delta was the first downloaded game I played and, wow, what a game. It is astounding on the PSV and plays perfectly with the twin analogue stick. Even with the small screen, the visuals remain sharp at all times even with lots of explosions. I ended up playing this game for almost an hour; it's every bit as addictive as its big brother. Awesome! I had a quick go on Motorstorm RC which is good but I felt the framerate was distractingly chuggy in places and there was some tell-tale screen tearing hinting that this game is probably pushing the PSV's hardware that bit too far. At the price though you can't really grumble and it is fun to play. At that point it was almost 2am so I didn't get chance to try any of the other games I'd bought such as Wipeout 2048, Rayman Origins and FIFA Football. There's almost too much stuff available actually online to distract me! :lol:

I really like the PSV's interface, though I found it took some getting used to as I've never used a touchscreen display before. After an hour, I felt like a pro though and can see why touch controls are so popular. I would prefer the option to also use the buttons and sticks though as I'm naturally drawn to them. It took me a while to find out how to quit applications and games as well: you have to press the PS button then swipe the page from the fold-over in the top-right to "tear" it away (the PSV however does not warn you that you are quitting which seems an odd oversight... maybe I'm missing something there?). Before I found that out I was getting warnings about having to close down games when I, say, tried to use the browser. The PSV has Help screens but the instructions that come with the handheld are not very good IMO. There's a Quick Start guide but little else. I'd have preferred a physical manual that I could refer to while I was using it.

Other than the finicky nature of card slots, the only other minor grumble I have with the Vita is the volume of the sound which I find too low in many of the games I tried even though the volume was maxed. I then played the excellent Unit 13 demo and it was much louder; I could hear all the speech and sound-effects fine. Yet Uncharted and Virtua Tennis seemed really quiet, why? I guess earphones are a prerequisite for this anyway, which is why I've brought both the free blue earphones from the pre-order kit and the ones from my Sony Walkman MP3 with my today to try at lunchtime. Maybe I had too high expectations but I expected the audio to be meatier? The freebie earphones didn't seem that great when I tried them last night which is why I'm hoping the Walkman ones are better.

The only problem I've had so far is an error when trying to install Tales from Space. I presume the actual file is corrupt as I've downloaded it twice now with the same C2-xxxxx-7 error. Everything else has installed perfectly, including the free Fireworks and Cliff Diving games, etc., etc.

The PSV is certainly the first handheld I've seen that delivers pretty much the same experience as a proper console (and more since there's the touchscreen stuff). This is certainly what attracted me to it in the first place and on the basis of the stuff I've seen so far I don't think it'll disappoint. I just hope that it is a huge success because as a core gamer, this really is the only device that can deliver PS2-cum-PS3 quality games in portable form. Nothing else can so it'd be a shame if it got overlooked because people prefer 69p Apple Store games instead.

13. Wanny

Wanny Guest

30 minutes till i get it :D I couldn't buy VITA games on PSN tho... couldn't add funds :(

14. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    All the PSP GTA can be purchased on PSN. I'm suprised about the available content.

Wouldn't mind using PSV to remotely play PC games. That would be awesome!

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The boss took an early lunch at 11:30am and didn't come back until 1:45pm so I was able to get a couple of hours on my PSV. Mostly played Super Stardust Delta (hellishly addictive!) and 45 minutes of Uncharted: Golden Abyss (it really does feel and look like the PS3 version with its cutscenes and blend of shooting/platforming).

I also got to try out my Walkman earphones on the Vita and even though the volume was on full they are (unsurprisingly) vastly superior in quality to the free blue earphones that come with the pre-order starter kit. It helps that they fit comfortably right inside my ears which helps offset the relatively low volume. I do hope that Sony can address this in a firmware update though as I feel that the volume I'm using at max should be the 50% level personally. Does anyone else think the PSV's audio output is quiet?

Finally, I got round to trying the Dungeon Hunter: Alliance demo, a game I was considering buying until I found out it was a 99p iPhone game! The itself is fairly decent, reminding my a lot of Torchlight actually, but the framerate chugs and jerks even when there's only your character onscreen. While the graphics and presentation are nice, surely they should run smoother than this? If the game ever drops below £10 then I'd certainly consider it but, hopefully, someone else will come up with a better and cheaper alternative. Torchlight 2 would be terrific on the PSV I reckon.

P.S. I obviously can't get online here at work but are the trophies I've unlocked still added to my PSN account even though I'm not signed-in. I noticed that Uncharted did not refer to me as Daz1967 but User so I'm thinking they don't. That would be silly though, right, as the PSV, being a portable, would not be online for most people who are playing games on it (during bus or train journeys for example).

16. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    Do you get any motion blur (ATTENTION: your eyes must be moving to follow text/object RAPIDLY moving) in PS Vita??
    Because I remember that I got motion blur :confused: on 2 smartphones w/ OLED screen (Nokia N85 and Samsung Galaxy S II) despite response time 0.01ms.

17. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    oh your lucky man, gaming at work and all :D

18. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Depends on your wants and needs. I own a tablet and I love it, but I don't use it for games. I've gone completely digital with my comic books and it servers as my comic reader and gets some light web-browsing use. I disagree that all the cell phone games/tab games are crap and/or $99 cents. That's just either haters or people that haven't bothered to actually research the market. Try shadowgun and tell me cell phones dont have quality games. Realistically if you want games and your focus is gaming, get a vita. If you want apps, video, web surfing, and the occasional game here and there, get a tablet/smart phone.

I love how your opinion dictates the industry in your mind.

Smart phone gaming is only good with real controllers. :)

Exactly

Owners will say no. Non-owners will say yes, website's will report on the truth 3 weeks after the hype of the launch. Stay tuned.

19. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I can't say I've noticed any so far and I've been playing games that run at 30 fps (Uncharted, Virtua Tennis 4, Super Stardust Delta, etc.). If there is any smearing/blur then I certainly haven't seen any. I've also got Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 which runs at 60 fps so it should be interesting to see how the Vita handles that game.

The OLED display is certainly much sharper and vibrant than any PC display or HDTV that I've seen. It's superb IMO and definitely adds a lot of class to the handheld.

20. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    I can't say I've noticed any motion blur. UMVC3 is the one I've been playing most, it's friggin silly especially the last boss, but, it's really good imho. The graphics are also really sweet, no video can do this game justice, it just oozes quality. It's the real deal. Although, the price of add-on character Jill Valentine is a joke. Too many costume packs aswell that could easily make this game "complete" quite expensive.

Best feature is the sleep mode; press the power button during gaming and it switches-off straight away, press it again to get right back into the action! No futher loading required!

Wipeout doesn't work without a memory card so will have to wait for mine to play it.