H100i push/pull fan configuration

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Romo, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Romo

Romo Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    Hello folks !

I ordered a H100i cooler to help me achieve higher OC on my i5 3570K which is currently running at 4.2 Ghz on stock intel cooler.

So i have my two Gentle Typhoons 2500 rpm fans laying around and I was thinking of using them in addition to H100i´s original fans for push pull config.

I thought the best would be to put the fans so one Gentle Typhoon would be pulling air from the other Typhoon and same with the stock fans so both GT-s would be on the front end of the radiator and stock fans on the other end.

Some other person told me that it would be better to put both stock fans on top for push and two GT-s on bottom for pull...

So what do you guys think ? And is the push pull with this cooler even worth it?

2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I would suspect you're going to create a serious imbalance in the airflow across the rad if you use 2 different types of fans. Those GT's will create far more static pressure than the stock fans, it will probably work best just swapping the stock fans for the GT's.

However, give the different configs a try and see what happens. If it was me I would just get another 2 GT's.

I have a H100 with 4 Noctua NF-F12's and seriously recommend push-pull on this cooler. I have my PC whisper quiet and the cooling is still excellent. The GT's are going to be louder than my fans but are still very good on rads.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  3. Romo

Romo Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    I had a H70 before and push/pull has proven to be very good combo,
    I heard that only stock fans can be controlled by Corsair link, is that corrected by firmware update somehow or the problem is still actual ?

4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'm not sure my friend. I have the H100 and use a fan controller. I suspect the software/ hardware only knows a fan is attached the issues probably arise from using fans outside of the wattage the device is designed to handle but I don't know, just guessing.

5. Romo

Romo Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    Sounds logical to me :)
    Thanks !!!

6. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This was the case when I bought my H100i a couple months ago. A Corsair rep said they were working on compatibility with other fans for a future update, but I don't believe there has been a new version of Link since then. Check the Corsair forums to be sure.

7. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    I ordered 4 of these for my h100i, not noticing that i ordered the wrong series of fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181022

but it is very very quiet and does cool very well. I did however yesterday as a matter of fact ordered 2 SP fans to put on the bottom.. On top its ok to have a high airflow over static pressure..

But i recommend these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-181-027

BTW the reason why im not using stock fans is because i gave them to a buddy that got a h100i too and i wanted to have all the same fan (-_-) guess i failed...

8. Hubble

Hubble Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 x 2
    From my experience with the H100i, there is very little difference (~3 degrees Celsius) between the standard fan setup and a push/pull configuration.

9. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    This is correct i have 4 stock corsair fans attached to my pump unit and not seeing much difference in temp

10. Romo

Romo Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX780 DCU II OC
    Ok so I´ll just leave stock fans on top of the radiator... won´t even bother to install 1150 rpm Typhons instead of stocks.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

11. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    I have the H100i and the most recent firmware (1.0.5) running with Link2 version 2.3.4816.

Currently, I am running the stock fans on the low side, and a pair of Antec Tri-Cool 120mm fans on the top side in push/pull. Using the Hydro USB dongle, and the four fans connected via the fan controller on the pump, I can control RPMs and fan profiles on all the fans, individually or as a group.

cupper24

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I just upgraded my H90 to push pull with 2x Noctua A14 FLX 1200rpm and from what i saw the best choice would be push push intake from outside.
    ^
    So 2 fans on top and then radiator.

Although I cant try that atm, need to buy new screws :infinity:

Speaking of screws, Corsair is a jackass, i mean they have custom sized screws 3.5mm while in HW stores (Obi, bauhaus) they sell only 3mm or 4mm.
    You can get 3.5mm but its for wood lol,
    http://www.usifaz.com/Web Site Pics/Screws/ph fl ws pln 1.gif
    I had to buy this in the end and flatten that sharp end (3.5x30)..
    And you know what it works just fine :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  13. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Anyone else find the stock H100i fans noisy? They also don't seem to operate at slow speeds very well, going below ~550rpm using link software makes mine stop and start. Above 800rpm they become noisier than my 780 at idle. I used to run 3 xigmatek fans with a 360 rad for years 1000rpm very quiet.

Considering swapping them for Be Quiet! ones. Would use Noctuas, but the colour is just awful.

14. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Yeah, I noticed that! WTH, right? I scoured my collection of screws for some matches, but none could be found.

On that note, you can barely tighten the long screws past the point the point of slight resistance or they'll strip! This happened to me (twice) while installing the radiator through my top 2 fans to the top of my HAF 932.

cupper24

15. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Mine were fine until literally last week. The bottom rear fan looking from the front of my case now has a slight, high-pitched squeal which seems to be originating from the bearing. Installed it at the end of May, so it has only been running for 2 months. I typically keep my fans on the Balanced profile in the LINK software.

I'm considering a swap as well to some quieter fans that have close to the same static pressure. This time, all 4 will be identical, but I'm not thrilled to reinstall the fans due to the sensitive nature of the holes in the radiator, as I alluded to in my last post.

cupper24

16. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yeah I noticed the screw tightening, has happened with previous rads though seems common.

17. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    If running different brands, I would put the stocks on one side in a P/P and the GT's on the other side in a P/P. Will keep the air balanced between both sets.