Lets talk largest SSD for the lowest price

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Jw_Leonhart, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jw_Leonhart

Jw_Leonhart Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeforceGTX 770 SC
    ok so this is typical. My buddies on a budget... building a portable desktop. Gonna throw everything into a briefcase, plexi it, monitor inside, mouth, the whole thing.

I'm leary of putting any kind of Hard Drive in because if he drops it or anything that could be game over.

Personally I have a 256GB Samsung 830 series SSD, but he doesn't have $200 to spend just on storage..

The performance doesn't have to be the fastest, storage capacity is whats needed more than anything.

I've seen the Samsung 120GB and OCZ Agility 120GB going for $99.... i'm wondering if anyone know any other places? I think 120GB would be fine for him, but if I could get him a little more for around the same price why not?

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's true dropping a computer with a HDD is likely to be game over, but dropping anything electronic like that there is a very high risk of damage. You drop a camera and you potentially put the optical lense out or stuff it in some other way. Drop a phone you can break the screen or some other part. Drop a laptop and it's game over too...

So, the general rule is, don't bloody drop it! That said, small knocks should be safe component wise apart from the HDD. To double that 'That said', though even a small knock could put the cards or cables from being plugged in correctly.

Despite my last paragraph being grammatically challenged, I think you can understand the basic point that I'm alluding to; there is risk in however which way his project is put together. I would strongly suggest the case be lined with some sort of dense foam and have the computer inner lining held in by the phone (not a direct connection to the case) and this will help with small to medium knocks. The outputs like USB could have very short male to female extension cables for easy access.

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Wait a little, Crucial is releasing their C500 series which are going to be much cheaper per GB than current SSD's.

4. zpinto

zpinto Guest

GPU:
    Never heard of those C500 series, neither found anything on google. Can you link me to a page with info about that? Im also interested in buying an SSD, thus my interest.

5. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    They're called M500 series. Introduced during CES 2013. Micron promises that 960GB version will cost under 600$, which would give it great price/capacity ratio - under 0.63$/GB. Performance-wise they should be really fast, as they're using Marvell 88SS9187 controller also found in Plextor M5 Pro.

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Waiting on the pricing for these to replace my games HDD.

7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
  8. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Performance might not be the best, more the price is going to make up for it. Also, thanks for the correction, I forgot that Micron is moving away from its, "Cxxx", naming convention to one more in line with its subsidiaries SSD's (to avoid the confusion of the M4, which was the C400). M500 it is.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6614/microncrucial-announces-m500-ssd-line-of-ssds

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Awesome, I'm so looking forward to those SSDs.

10. facetime

facetime Guest

GPU:
    ATI