Comcast 250 GB Limit Warning

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Iggyblack, Oct 10, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You think 250GB is lame? Bah, there are two major ISPs which bought out everything else in Toronto and surrounding cities and both of them put a 60GB bandwidth cap. Go over it and they charge $2 per GB.

EDIT: I forgot to mention both of them charge like $50 per month (after taxes and other suprise fees/robbery) for their garbage 800KB/s-900KB/s (rarely every goes over 830KB/s) connection. I looked around everywhere for a new ISP, there is nothing. Every company was either bought out or are under contract with those mega *******s who control the internet in Toronto (Rogers Cable and Bell Canada).

If anyone knows of any ISPs in southern Ontario who are not just selling Rogers/Bell services, please let me know. I always upload back whatever I download, so to me that's practically a 30GB download cap :(

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    I get 20gb for 80.00 a month :/ After reaching the limit we pay per 10 per GB and your put onto a unstable speed which bounces between fast and slow and very slow

Northwestel *Rip you off cause you have no choice*

When they had 40gb for 60 a month it was awesome never went over

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    i have true unlimited for only £25 a month i usualy only use 90GB a month though :D

well i think i do i remember i downloaded 420GB one month and my isp never said nothing :)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  4. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I'm stuck with Comcast cause its the fastest and pretty much only service here unless I go with DSL which the fastest I can get is 10MB package for 60$/month yeah ok rip off much. I'd demand proof and if they didn't give it hang up and log the call on some paper. Also to my understanding the 250gig use didn't take effect till 9days ago. But I do have to say over 500Gigs is like wow.. regardless of your HDD size if your sharing large files wide open 24/7 and downloading everything you can find all day long then its not possible.

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    That would depend on the country you're in, no? I have no fair share policy and I would consider my connection "true unlimited". My connection sees alot more than 560GB a month (think twice that), and I've never gotten any complaints. Nor have I ever heard about anyone getting one. So I would say it differs..

6. BIGWORM

BIGWORM Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 260 SP216
    Just in case I ever go over that 250GB limit, I can always fall back to AT&T DSL. Right now, I'm on the 16/2 connections with Cocmast. =)

(vomit)

7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    You have to be sh1tting me! You are the true master of downloads, John. Respect. :eek:

8. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Don't blame me, blame my room mate. I may download alot, but he's far worse. How it's possible to download that much and only have a HDD capacity of 1TB is far beyond me!

9. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    LOL

Don't worry. The award still goes to you, though. ;)

[​IMG]

10. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I have a 40GB a month limit, which is pretty high for UK broadband, BT's "Heavy User" package has a 15GB limit. Awesome!

11. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    What is with all these caps

I have Road Runner at 10 mbps the fastest standard cable they offer in my area and I only pay 50 a month

I have never seen 1 letter or had 1 phone call about surpassing any caps and we have 5 people using my connection

12. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    so today i called comcast again to try to understand why
    they were giving me a warning the month prior to the 250 GB limit.
    they told me that they always had a policy for people who used too much
    bandwith, and because of people complaining that there was no limit they now
    just put a limit. so basically he tried to explain to me that anyone before oct. 1
    who had 250+ GB bandwith would get put on a list and a week after the end of the
    month would get calls from comcast saying they needed to stop downloading so many
    stuff. so basically he tried to tell me that just because back then there wasn't a limit
    didn't mean there wasn't a policy for people who used too much bandwith. personally
    i dont buy any of that, and if comcast didn't have the best speed/price advantage
    i'd be with some otehr provider right now.

13. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    That's true though, igorcankickyou.

It was posted on several blogs and digg, for example, a few years ago, that there was this "hidden" 200 GB limit, which you were not allowed to surpass. Otherwise they'd call you, or close your account for a year or so. :frown:

14. BIGWORM

BIGWORM Guest

GPU:
    Sparkle GTX 260 SP216
    Yeah, definitely not new news on that. I think I monitored my downloading habits for a month (while I was using newsgroups as my main source), and Giganews clocked me at 74GB for a month's usage. Then again being on an 8MBPS connection and only having a 120GB HDD hinders that bandwidth, too--unless I'd have done a lot of burning, which I didn't.

15. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT

I know this may have nothing to do with it or maybe it will...but what is your age?? I ask due to your responses here and how they are typed out. The other question is do you pay for your internet service...if not who does and who else in your home uses it?

16. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    yea, i suppose so. i'f im not mistaken comcast got in trouble
    a little while ago for limiting a users internet speed if the person
    was using too much bandwith? i dont really remember, correct me if im wrong.
    but i just got frustrated that everytime i asked if they could check my account to see if thats the correct usuage and if they could provide me
    with proof they'd try to dodge the question. but he did say they're working
    on a monitoring tool that'll probably be available early 2009, and for now
    i would have to monitor it myself.

and im 19, me and my roomate split the bill but the account is in my name.
    besides i doubt my roomate would even know what a torrent is..haha
    so i also doubt he's the one doing all of the downloading.

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    some of you guys are insane. i average couple gigs a month. what did you guys do back in 1998 or whenever before braudband hit mainstream? lol
    i think the net is getting a little to relied upon, that or more people are having no lives. talk about building your own prison.
    thats it, i'm going out for a beer

18. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i'm on a 4MB/640k connection, unlimited, here's my last month usage (alone) as there's no one else at home that could use my connection, i run a monitoring software though to keep track of my usage for fun.

my current record, 1.1TB down - 95GB up, probably someone upped a 500GB .png image and forgot to convert to .jpg [​IMG]

[​IMG]

for the record, when you download a file that is 50mb you're not downloading exactly 50 but slightly over and of course you upload while downloading anything from the web so in the end you upload/download 55mb, also anything that reaches your router (including port scans and attacks) are counted even if dropped, and let's not forget Flash animations, Youtube (files ranging from 1 to 100mb, add packet loss and re-transmitted data (it's all counted) when guru3d and websites timeout then you hit repeateadly the refresh button...welcome to hell.

the best way to avoid having your data wasted when you're not doing anything is by physically disconnecting from the net (by unplugging the router).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  19. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    1.1 TB?!? i think we have a new master of downloads..hahah
    btw what program do you use for monitoring your bandwith?
    i've been searching for free ones and haven't really found a
    true free one so far :(

20. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    upped it for you, it's called NetMeter and it is absolutely free, don't install garbage and uses very little memory.

http://www.filemojo.com/019801515892482/NetMeter_v113.exe