AMD to remove auto update feature from Catalyst drivers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    To be honest, so-called pro gamers are only a small fraction of all players, and even people who are good at playing games may lack or even not need the knowledge about the computer hardware or software. I know players don't even open settings screen in games.

Many games run really bad with older drivers, eg Hawken with old NV drivers or generally most of the games with old AMD drivers.

I can spend some time on picking hardware, overclocking it, fine-tuning settings to keep stable 60fps at max quality possible, no jitter, etc, but many people don't want to spend so much time and have other things to do than learning about tweaking computers and game settings, so computers should be accessible for them while leaving some extra headroom for tweakers.

I wouldn't call someone a noob because they can't set up their computer/game properly and the vendors failed to provide quality autoconfig. Times when you had to pick which model of Sound Blaster card you had have passed.

In my opinion there should be 2 auto-upgrade paths that you can pick when installing:
    1. Non-gamer - get only the critical updates
    2. Gamer - the latest bleeding edge stuff

2. bikemanAMD

bikemanAMD Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6530D
    I Personally myself manually update drivers when needed, or if has a fix for program I use in it. Plus maintain family PC's, so I consider myself intermediate skill level Computer wise. I may not know every single thing to do, but I do my best to learn and figure it all out

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Honestly, you're right, but it isn't worth the effort. Of course there are people who do not know a thing about drivers, or settings, or that updating them can help with gaming.

But you can't tell most of these people that. They live in a world where everyone either has their skills, their use cases, their preferences, their knowledge. And for those who don't, well they're hillbillies and probably don't game anyway.

Design games, drivers, hardware, and operating systems for people like me because literally no one else exists.