Intel Haswell more bench vs Ivy Bridge

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by moab600, May 10, 2013.

1. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    enjoy
    [​IMG]

if it true. it leaves me a bit puzzled.

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    puzzled about what?

by 3dmark physics its ~ 1200points faster (at 200mhz lower OC; 4.5ghz vs IB@ 4.7ghz)
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4592683&postcount=112

Aida64 we dont know what memory and version was used

superPi not really a good tool, since it x87

Fritz, marginal error, could be program compatibility fault

Cinebench is around the same, but if you look at gpu rendering its where it shines ;)

And if you take into account it will OC better and use lower voltage its still a win imo. Also bios is still in a early phase, it will only get better from here on :nerd:

Im set for this cpu and I dont regret nothing. :D

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    hmm i think i might get it as well, TJ what cpu u had before, first gen i7?

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You got a 2700K @ 5GHz. Why would you get this?

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    well i though of getting a new mobo cause it needs more voltage than usual for the oc, then i though if haswell if here and it oc better i can sell a bit my stuff and buy it. but then, i c what happens with GTX 700 series.. i don't need any upgrade, but might have a chance of getting everything a bit cheaper.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im at hmm.. I think its already 5year old Yorkfield Q9450 @ 3.60ghz and Ddr2 8gb., oldie goldie lol :D

7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    then smile for haswell :D

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Probably a Vcore bug due to CPU-Z not fully supporting Haswell. Take it with a grain of salt, this is a 22nm chip. Limitations can carry over from Ivy Bridge.

I don't think even stock voltage can be that low.

10. DavidGX

DavidGX Active Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Fury X
    The biggest issue with OCing Ivy Bridge for me is the thermal paste under the heat spreader situation. Hes it been confirmed anywhere that they aren't doing that for Haswell?

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    According to Anadtech its been fixed, he talked to intel tech and they said it will be ok.

@yasamoka
    Why not? This is already new cpu-z and it shows all available data. I have no doubt it will be like so.

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Anandtech's forum admin (Idontcare) posted this yesterday:

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    if the thermal paste deal is true, will def be passing this up too just like IB

14. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    Looks like I'll have to stick to my 2700k and wait for the next CPU architecture in a year or so.
    There's absolutely no point to upgrade as the performance difference doesn't justify spending the extra money. And if they are still using the thermal paste instead of the fluxless solder then it means that intel haven't learnt a lesson after the IB temps fail.

It looks like intel are more focused on power saving and performance-per-watt than actual raw performance increase. On the other hand their integrated GPU (who uses that anyway, right? :D) is getting alot better if the leaked benchmarks are true. But i still don't see AMD being challenged in APU market (bought one for my mom's computer and those things are awesome).

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yeah those APU's are awesome, and no doubt that wasn't a Richland one either!

16. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    That's the funny thing, I have an i7920 @4Ghz and its runs everything i want it to smoothly :p Intel wants to slow down the jumps in performance ?

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I hope that some day I only have to buy APU only. They really need to solve memory bandwidth issue or they will not take off.

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    AMD is attempting to solve that with hUMA. If it does prove to do what AMD says it does, then they have found the holy grail in CPU-GPU intercommunication.

deltatux

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, hUMA doesn't solve bandwidth issue. It does help in general and should pretty much remove the memory swapping between CPU and GPU since they can access the same stuff (and modify). Still, as far as I know software has to support hUMA. Lots of unified but slow memory will still be an issue.

Though Kaveri is supposed to get GDDR5 support but still 128-bit wide interface so in the end, it's not going to solve that much. They need to do better than what they do on consoles.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  20. Moegames

Moegames Guest

My comments below are directly for the PC gamers and average computer enthusiast person, not directed towards the hardcore computer enthusiast that must have the highest benchmarks that can be achieved with their gear and don't mind tossing $$$ at new pc upgrades every 6 months...this is for the average computer enthusiast that wants a rig that will last them a few years or so such as myself...

With that said......There is simply not enough improvement with Haswell over sandy and ivy to make it worth buying...in other words if you have a sandy or ivy....it's been said time and time again in just about all computer forums that its very wise to stay with your current chip (sandy/ivy) until Intel starts producing cpu's with bigger gap in performance and more cores with their mainstream chips.....it's simply not worth buying Haswell if you already own a sandy or ivy and this advice is for the average overclocker, not the finicky hardcore computer enthusiast that can't sleep unless he has reached insane OC's. Most computer enthusiasts are happy with a decent OC,etc...you all get where im coming from so i wont go on and on about it.

These current chips out in the mainstream (sandy and ivy) are still way ahead of anything needed for next gen gaming and will be good for the next 2-3 years at least. There seems to be a wall at 4.8ghz or so in terms of overclocking Intel chips including sandy, ivy and haswell...anything over 4.8ghz really does not produce larger gains after 4.8ghz with gaming. Yeah i know its nice to see a chip at 5.0ghz and above...it just feels good to have that speed but honestly...4.8ghz is where performance seems to stall pretty much from my research and my experience with building custom rigs locally for my customers and i am mostly talking about as far as gaming goes.

So my advice along with many many other computer enthusiasts from around various computer website forums is that if you are overclocking a sandy or ivy...haswell is not really worth switching over to. You would be better off upgrading your graphics card or switching from a HDD to SDD if you are lacking in those area's if you are wanting to get your rig ready for next gen gaming...the CPU's from Intel that are currently out are way ahead of what's really needed for next gen gaming...especially if your overclocking.

One thing i want to point out though is that i did do one thing with my last rig i built for myself..i originally bought a 3570k in Jan 2013...i recently sold it and went for a 3770k instead..just for the extra threads because i firmly believe they will be greatly benefited with next gen games from consoles ported to PC's...i believe AMD's 8 core chip's will be great for next gen gaming and i believe all the sandy, ivy and haswell i7 chips with hyperthreading will also be utilized greatly with next gen gaming....this is why i sold my 3570k for 3770k.

So if your sitting with a i5 and "are" considering a haswell..then i would say yeah..go for a i7 haswell..or ivy or sandy...just get a chip with the extra threads but i would still like to point out if you already have a 3570k it's still going to be plenty good for next gen gaming for sure, its brute force is still killer for gaming..i just personally wanted the extra threads and the 8mb cache with the i7 3770k chip.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013