GeForce 20 Series with Volta might be released in Q3 2017

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    That will be strange, what about 1080Ti owners?
    Im sure the new 2080 will be faster than the 1080Ti, especially if it has HBM2 and well we know Nvidia can do it (1080 vs 980ti) but 1080 never came so soon after 980Ti

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I kinda had the feeling Volta and Vega will compete this year.

As for Pascal owners they will had to upgrade. :D

4. Demrock

Demrock Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Boost 7950x2
    Well the only thing i can think off why Nvidia would release Volta at this speed is they know Vega has some potantial.

1080Ti sold out or sales going strong so why would they prepare Volta this fast and hurt their sales so close after release ?

But damn Nvidia is on a roll past years and AMD cant keep up anymore :(

Lets hope for all our sakes that Vega is a beast so we can finaly see some real high end gpu battles again.

5. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    This ^

I was wondering why there were only rebrands for 5xx series from AMD for now.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Rumors around the web state they are selling Volta chips for car manufacturers. No clear evidence of consumer end GPUs so far.

On the other hand, it would be odd for them to not release a new architecture in 2017.

What Pascal users will do? Enjoy their card's performance as long as there's nothing faster, which is the state for almost a year already now. Vega, we shall see how fast it is, and if it can beat an overclocked Ti / Titan Xp.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  7. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    If they release it this fast i might skip Volta.

8. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, it depends, if the performance jump is significant I might upgrade. However considering how strong the 1080 Ti is (especially against AMD "competition", which is non-existent in this segment), I will probably wait until the 2080 Ti or whatever they'll call it next year or so (I have a feeling we won't get HBM2 sooner). And by then, there will hopefully be a strong Vega line-up out as well, so it's not nvidia vs nvidia again in high end.

9. Battlefieldprin

Battlefieldprin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS 780TI DC 2 OC 3GB
    For those who talk about 1080ti . The latter is the end of the line of the 1000 product line , so was the 980ti and 780ti . In fact , it was a lesson to me to never by the last product in the line as it will discontinue soon.

10. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    That makes sense. People were saying NVIDIA released the 1080ti and titan xp because they are afraid of Vega,which they clearly aren't since AMD are slow and even if it comes out at some point and does perform as much as a 1080, people will still buy nvidia (those who say "that's not true", check the 1060 vs 480/470), so it only makes sense to release a 2080 which will perform 20% better than the 1080ti 6 months later.

11. shamus21

shamus21 Member Guru

GPU:
    That is what I was thinking and I suspect a lot of other potential buyers are to based on news like this but they may well give Pascal a miss and buy Volta slowing down sales even more for Nvidia.

12. C-Power

C-Power Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 White
    I never get the "What about 1080ti - 980 Ti - 780Ti owners" comments, they have the fastest card available, it's not like it's going to be "slow" when Volta releases, I still have my 980TI and never regret the purchase of the "latest" high end card in the lineup, it's what I choose for every time, and always know the next gen is "around" the corner.

Honestly I am pretty sure most TI buyers know what they are doing and making that choice very conciously.

I will get my 1080 Ti around June and I am sure I won't regret that choice for another gen of cards again till a 2080 TI :D

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I guess for sure we'll know how accurate the report is in a week or so when Nvidia releases it's earnings - but I personally think this rumor is false.

For starters these architectures, the design, fabrication, testing, etc are planned out pretty far in advance. Suddenly moving the starting point of it up about 6 months is insane for a project of this scope. Especially when you consider that they usually end up delayed. So instead of a typical few month production delay, Nvidia intends on moving the launch of an entire generation up ~6 months? Seems far fetched.

There are too many key technologies that aren't where they need to be yet. GDDR6 for example is supposedly ready for mass production in Q1 2018 by Micron - who is a big partner for Nvidia. I feel like if Nvidia was launching a series of cards within several months, why wouldn't they just wait until that's finished? Whatever AMD refreshes Vega/Polaris with next year will almost definitely have it.

The two Titan Super Computers and Xavier, all Volta based are all slated for a 2018 launch. The Titan's were supposed to be 2017 but got delayed and the Xavier units were announced for volume shipping in 2018.

We probably would have heard about it being taped out. Every major GPU release has gotten a rumor ~8-10 months prior to release of being taped out. We haven't heard anything like this about Volta. Which seems weird considering it's "supposed to launch" in the next 5 months.

I also think a large part of the problem with stagnating sales is that current GPU's are simply enough for the vast majority of people. 90% of steam gamers own 1080p or lower monitors. For a long time, you'd had to constantly update your card in order to be able to game at 1080p with decent framerates in the latest games. This generation is different though - a 980/970/390/390x etc are all able to do 1080p @ 60 in most current games. Even more problematic for the industry is that 4K is the new target - but I doubt many gamers are going to upgrade. For example, the consoles generally control the "base" level of graphics. When a new console would come out - they'd just make all the graphics better and that would filter over to the PC, where you'd need a new card in order to drive that at 1080p. But this generation of consoles is shifting the target to 4K, so all the new GPU power is being utilized just to scale to that resolution. But most gamers probably won't be upgrading to 4K monitors anytime soon - thus a 980/1060/480/390/etc will all most likely be capable of running the next generation of AAA titles, at 1080p fine. So why upgrade? I don't think launching Volta early is really going to have an effect on that.

I could be wrong, but I predict we won't see a Volta based consumer GPU until Q1 2018, probably around March. I think they will detail Volta this year - in fact I think we may even get some info on it at 2017 GTC in a few weeks (mostly AI/Deep Learning Focused Info) - but I don't think we'll see a real product this year. At least one that Guru3D people would be interesting in buying.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Erm.... nope not at all.

Even if this is 30%+ faster than Pascal I will 100% skip it for the 30x0 series or AMD's 2nd gen Volta series. Skipping a generation is always best way to do things to me unless your GPU breaks and is not under warranty still.

15. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    So true about the HBM2 Hilbert. I honestly start to think that the thing holding Vega back is the low good quantity of HBM2 memory and if that is the case then Volta will rather be better suited to go with GDDR5X. Nividia is not so heavy bandwidth dependent as AMD, so they might just go the GDDR5X route.

16. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    Oh yes, you have point ! Nice to meet you mister, the first in the line...

17. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I am certain you mean Vega from AMD instead of Volta.

I hear you on what you are saying for sure.....I'm still rocking four OG TITAN's and have no problem playing any game maxed out at 4k ATM. I've been waiting a "HOT" minute to get something new in this system that is for sure.

18. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I don't get this. Seems too fast. What games out possibly need all of this? Lol. Unless you're strictly 4K on EVERYTHING, even then...why flood the market?

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    At this point it seems that Nvidia product cycle release has little to do with what AMD does.

And if anything AMD is slowing them down; look at 1080Ti, they could have released it much earlier, instead of what seemed to be waiting for Godot Vega, and then saying ****this and just releasing it.

Nvidia had an insane 2016 year, and its hard to follow that success even if they had an entire market for themselves. OTOH PC gaming seems little slow atm.
    And that's why we got "reasonably" priced 1080Ti, and that's why we might see Volta pull-in.

I was dead set on getting Vega, but if this is true...jesus...

yeah, they need PC titles which would energize the market. Just releasing GTX 2080 will not do it for them.

20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well 2017 will also be the year where we get to see 4K 144Hz monitor(s), so I guess that would be a target for even more power. But that is like... the ultra-ultra-high end market. I personally am rather waiting for a 1440p/144Hz/gsync/ips without a complete panel quality loterry. If it's the same with 4K 144Hz monitors, then lol, just lol. Imagine sending those back for replacements.