Creative Fatal1ty 800 headset

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Timo2, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
  2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    The mic Quality of this head set is not bad it is very good. The downside of this headset for me is the mic input jack on the headset died on me which rendered the headset useless after 6months. (The mic on the headset is removable) Plus I had the analog version.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Guys, stay away from usb headsets. Also I would recommend to stay away from gaming headsets in general. the "good" ones cost a lot of money and sound average at best. It's much better to buy a decent set of audiophile headphones and if you're on a tight budget pair them with a cheap Xonar DG or similar card and you have great entry level setup for games (dolby headphone) and music. My AD 700 + Xonar DG cost me £100 in total and I'm so happy with the sound! Seriously

4. Timo2

Timo2 Guest

GPU:
    9600m GT (280 burned out)
    Hey all (again) Thx for the advice. And Eclap. Yeah, made me think.

Finished my contract, bux in the bank as I speak. I held off from the fatality owing to your advice. A lot of stuff you've all advised is in full size PCI slots that I don't have.

1/ I run a giant notebook/laptop 8930G.. Yeah it's 4 years old now but it's still great because of the lovely screen and i've upgraded over the years. **Now with 840 pro**

2/ My living room audio is Rotel RA10 series w/ Naim DAC connected via bi-wire silver anniversary to Kef Q7s. I hear pretty well, but I don't expect that sound from headphones.

3/ I want directional 'phones i.e. using Dolby headphone I can hear behind me in two ears. My sound card is the usual 5:1 Realtek but not on motherboard. It's in a mini PCI 1.1 slot (x1). I still have one spare. Plus a spare express card slot that I've never used (amongst the other slots I've never used).

So, now I've got £100s + to spend. Advice gentlemen please.

5. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Just my opinion, the headset is great! I've had Bose noise/none noise cancelling headphones in the past, and sure the quality is great. But this headset is roughly 20 quid, and unless you have a reason i.e you want to pay for a badge, then i would suggest just going ahead and buying them. Quality is great, mic i've never had a problem with (used them for years and no-one ever complained, the exact opposite, people kept wanting to know which ones i had so they could get a pair)
    The only thing i will say, and this is a just a personal thing... the detachable mic... lord i hate the fact that its detachable. Being me i lost it within 6 months.. but then a friend wanted a cheap pair of headphones, so gave him my headset and i got another one, for another 20 odd quid.
    Worth it, and you could spend the other money on something else :D (just get the none usb version)
    EDIT: Just thought i would say, sure there will be a difference between this headset and more expensive ones, but i would compare it to 5ms and 7ms response time on a monitor, you have to really work to notice the difference, if notice it at all. (my guessing most people wouldn't)

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  6. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    There's nothing with the quality of these headphones imo, got mine connected to an x-fi fatality soundcard and the sound quality is superb and the speakers in this headset produce a lot of bass! I'd used numerous headsets before I settled on these and none of the rest had anywhere near the bass.

And as for gaming, I make use of the cmss-3d 7.1 virtual channel surround setup in the drivers and it works really well with these headphones.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    What headsets did you use before?

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I'd highly recommend taking a look over this post to get a good idea of what headphones work well with virtual surround within your price range. There's even a list of external devices which offer virtual surround, if you want to use such features between devices. Otherwise I'd suggest grabbing an OEM Creative Z for £50, and something along the lines of the Creative Aurvana Live or better.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    What darkest said.

10. Timo2

Timo2 Guest

GPU:
    9600m GT (280 burned out)
    Right. Good advice all-round. Now.. Creative z is pcie and is what I'm looking for BUT I can't fit in in (as they often say). Mini slot is about 1x2". Different plug configuration. If I buy this card + the fatality I assume I can simply cable it? Pcie cables (slot to device) exist i'm sure. No problem in portability as 8930s are too big to move much.

Thanks all for decent advice + opinions.