Help With 4770k and MSI MPOWER MAX overclock

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by kRoOkEd, Oct 11, 2013.

1. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    I would like to do better than what I have done. I believe 4.6-4.8 may be do-able. Windows 8 64 bit. 16 Gb ADATA 2400 MHZ RAM easily picked up on motherboard after enabling XPM. Using the intel and Msi extreme overclock utility (desktop software) because its easier for me. Any tweaks, advice, opinions etc. would help! All of my current stable settings are highlighted in yellow on the far right. Might have to zoom in a few times. Oh one more thing, Im cooling with the kraken x60 AIO which is so far keeping it frosty.

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Batch L315B357 Malaysia chip =/

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    What are your temps?
    What are you load testing with, how long etc...

4.4 is pretty good IMO, but depending on temps you may be able to push it some more.

On my H100 I am stable at 4.3. After about an hour of prime my max temp is high 70's low 80's.

I can clock stable at 4.5 but temps are just too much. I may be able to take the chip higher, we will soon see.

Out of curiosity what batch do you have?

3. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    I wasn't stable after all =(. Had to up the voltage to 1.25 to get stable at 4.4. hit almost 80 on the hottest core.

Updated OP to reflect changes and answer your batch question =)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  4. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    nobody?

Need some tweaks, all I know really is just to up the multiplier and vcore...

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Not to be a dick, but don't you think you should read some guides on how to properly overclock your rig instead of asking us to do it for you as a shortcut? There are plenty of guides out there that tell you exactly what each voltage does and all that good stuff. For all you know, I could tell you to run your processor at 1.5v, which would probably kill it.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Nothing unusual in that screenshot, although I dont see Vccin - input voltage.

-Default Vccin is 1.80v maybe try 1.85 - 1.90v with cpuv 1.22 -1.24v, apparently higher Vccin makes lower cpuv.
    It didnt help me 4.7Ghz @ 1.285v, but I saw lower Vccin below 1.75v caused instability at 1.28v.
    -Disabled Vccin is at 1.70v.

Imo your chip isnt such a good OC'er, well I need 1.153v for 4.4Ghz.

7. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    I have the input voltage at 1.85. Thanks. Your right this doesn't seem to be a good oc'er. Either that, or im doing something wrong. Didn't touch much but vcore, ratio, and put memory to xmp. Some people have worse chips. 4.4 @ 1.25 doesn't seem too bad....

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  8. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    I've read the guides. Asking isn't a shortcut, but something everyone does when they need a lil help. Then when I'm on the right track, my ears will be open for anyone else who needs help. If you would like to share a good link to a good guide that can be helpful. Ive read the one that reads "3 step guide to overclocking haswell"

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Did you test with fixed or adaptive cpu voltage? Because adaptive/offset can use extra 0.07-0.09v.

For example 1.15v will be 1.22v in avx apps; Linx, Prime95, IBT, OCCT, Aida64 stress., so if you plan to test around those apps use fixed voltage.

Also a good trick, try per-core overclock.
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1592713

Im now testing
    core1 47x
    core2 47x
    core3 47x
    core4 46x

total adaptive 1.260v, btw it auto adjusts at each multi.

What this means is, when there is single threaded app or full 3core/light 4core it will run at 4.7ghz if its multi threaded to the max it will be at 4.6Ghz.
    Also it uses less volts; full 4core 4.7ghz needs 1.285v, now this 3 core 1.260v, 4 core at 4.6ghz 1.237v similar to my full 4.6ghz @ 1.235v.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  10. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    I have it set on fixed. You actually inspired me to be a little more meticulous. I originally used the onboard OC genie and added some tweaks from there. After you saying your voltage is so low, I actually lowered the voltage and tweaked the RAM a bit and Im fully stable at 4.3ghz with only 1.166vcore. That's a 10 minute passed test on AIDA64. Im still going. And thanks for the link! Will read soon! :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013

11. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    So, uli can get 4.2 @1.155 vcore, 1.85input voltage, voktages @ fixed and memory in xmp 2400 1.65v stable and 4.3 @1.66 all stable and the same. Trying anything higher I hit a wall. Can there really be a jump from 4.3 1.66vcore to say 1.22 @4.4?

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Maybe it has kinda below average memory controller?

Set ram to 2133mhz and try higher OC :)

btw; you can keep Vccin at 1.80v for voltages below 1.30v.

13. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    Thanks. Will try when I get home later. I have a feeling your right. Much appreciated.

14. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    had to dial up to 1.21vcore for 4.4ghz. Memory only seems to work at its best with the xmp profile enabled. Lower frequencies don't seem to help. that's still better than my initial 1.248. Maybe I can hit 4.5 soon....

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    You can keep XMP enabled, just change memory divider. I can select from 1600-3000mhz.

I found this z77 mpower uefi, should be similar by you
    [​IMG]

16. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    Yes, that is similiar. Ive tried all of the presets. Im going to try again later to move up to 44x then find a voltage that will boot fine with that, then pick a memory preset and hope it works well with it, then test. ThoSe are the steps ive been taking. Hopefully thats correct. Appreciate your help once again.

17. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    Ill take bios pictures later and post

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Check if you have something like this and change to 2133mhz while XMP enabled.

[​IMG]

This is how i set it atm for 4.7Ghz
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    Ive tried just about everything from these pictures. The msi board definitely has their settings isted a bit differently, with different terms, but all in all I tried to adjust and pinpoint each setting and couldnt find stability. Its either the board or the cpu is limited. Its an OC board but this is too frustrating for me. Ive spent a week now overclocking. Can only reach 100% stability while gaming at 4.2. Grrrrrrrr

20. kRoOkEd

kRoOkEd Member

GPU:
    EVGA 78oTi Superclocked
    Funny I thought I was stable at 4.5 after being stable in aida64, then as soon as I played tomb raider it crashed. Just funny sometimes I was sold on the stability!