please review my upcoming build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by TyrantofJustice, Mar 27, 2013.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    All of that stuff looks pretty good, although I am not a fan of any rubber dome keyboard. I strongly prefer mechanical. Then again, those cost more and I know you're not looking to spend much in that realm! Might I also recommend the CM Storm Spawn over the Xornet, if you are a claw grip user. I have had a Spawn for over a year now and love it. I tried a Xornet and although they're similar, it had more of a "cheap" feel to it, no grip coating on the buttons and some parts rattled a bit. I just saw the Spawn is priced a bit high on Newegg, but you can find it on Amazon far cheaper - http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Spawn-Switches-SGM-2000-MLON1/dp/B004RJJMBI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364528971&sr=8-1&keywords=cm+storm+spawn I wrote the first review for the Spawn on there "Doppelganger". It gives you some detailed info about the mouse if you're interested. Also, the Cooler Master CPU cooler you are looking at is a highly rated one. You should be able to get a nice OC on your 8320 with that! I've seen people on these forums get their 8320 and 8350's crazy high on overclock... so it seems the skies the limit.

But yeah, on the switching from an 8320 system to an i5 system, you probably wouldn't even notice the difference. The i5 wins in some benches and the 8320 in others. The end user sitting at both of those systems wouldn't even detect a difference. It would be a huge waste of money to make that switch. Intel's Haswell may be another story, but that is yet to be seen.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I really don't get this point because you're essentially blowing $300 (CPU+motherboard) if this is not a permanent build.

I would go with the FX-4100 and then upgrade to the FX-8320/8350 when you get more money. The 8350 trades blow with the Core i5 3570K and will be a much better build based on your situation.

It's either go this route, or don't bother with a build because you're just wasting your hard earned money. Either do it right, or don't do it at all.

deltatux

3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Yes you can. It's a $50 difference to double the cores, the question is do you use 8 threaded programs? If the answer is no, there is no point in getting an 8320. The reason AMD CPUs fail to compete is because of their abysmal single threaded performance which in turn gives poor real world performance since a lot of things are still single and dual threaded. Games in fact are still often dual threaded.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a temporary rig unless you can sell the parts easily once you're done with them.

4. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    ok neo and delta... can I play games good on 4100

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I wouldn't really recommend the 4100 as a long term solution, that would be a bridge gap solution. If you stick with AMD, the way to go is their 8 core. Otherwise just wait until you have enough cash to go Core i5 3570K if you believe that it will suit your usage pattern better.

However, with current games and older games, they're really single and dual threaded heavy.

This was a dilemma I had when deciding between a Core i5 3570K build and a FX-8150 build back in 2012. Ultimately, I sided with the 3570K due to its stronger single thread performance and it was well rounded at the time. AMD has improved the IPC count per core with Piledriver, but still not enough to fully compete with Intel when you compare an AMD quad core and an Intel quad core. AMD really shines in heavily threaded situations like heavily threaded gaming engines like CryEngine 3 and the Frostbite Engine. However, for games like Starcraft II, Intel trounces AMD since it's a very single/dual threaded game.

As much as I want to back AMD, the choice at the end of the day is the system builder. Build a rig that will last and that will suit your purposes well.

deltatux

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Honestly I say forget it and save your money for an Intel rig. Haswell is roughly 3 months away anyway. Save for an i5 4670K.

7. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    My honest opinion, it doesnt matter that I have AMD CPU, I would recommend saving up some money if you already waited for 2 years, and get a new Haswell CPU with stronger GPU like 7950, and you would be set to go for some time with that...

Dont throw away the money you have atm, because you would spend it bad, 4100 is not even 4300 and that sucks big time, so just dont do it, I would go for 6300 minimum in any terms of gaming...

8. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Going from an 8320 to an i5 is a sidegrade, maybe a small upgrade. Either way it's not worth the money or trouble to change sockets and mobo. If you decide to go with an AMD build, gigabyte makes some nice AM3+ mobo's.

If you want an intel setup, then just start with an intel mobo and get a lower end cpu (i3?), then upgrade at a later time.

9. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    The problem with that is, Intel keeps switching sockets. Haswell won't use that socket and he could only upgrade to Ivy Bridge. Idk man, I guess OP needs to make up his mind. AMD or Intel system? If you go 8-core AMD Piledriver, there is no reason to switch from that to an i5.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I wouldn't bother getting an i3 for now, it would make more sense getting a FX-8320 and overclocking it. An i3 is literally half an i5 (maybe a few percent better since they have hyperthreading, but still).

It would be like buying a car and (this is hypothetical) there are a few different base spec's before you option. If you go with option 2, you have option 2 components. You buy it because later on you want to go option 3. Well, in the meantime you are stuck with option 2, something that you didn't really want in the first place, and to upgrade to option 3 you have to fork out additional money, the money you could have spent in the first place, and you have to go to the effort of ripping out option 2 stuff, which is now not worth much so is lost money, just to fit the option 3 stuff.

Instead of pissfarting around doing that, you could have gone with car B and got the options you wanted in the first place :)

11. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I am just going with the 8 core and no intel side grade any time soon.

what is the big difference between bulldozer core and vishera in laymans terms?

12. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Piledriver (Vishera) is the second generation Bulldozer (Zambezi). They tweaked the architecture a bit to attain better performance and more IPC vs the original Bulldozer. With the prices of Piledrivers so good, there is really no reason to get a Bulldozer at this point.

4100, 6100, 6200, 8120, 8150 = Bulldozer
    4300, 6300, 8320, 8350 = Piledriver

Next year we should see the third generation of this architecture entitled Steamroller. It should work on the same socket (AM3+) and depending on price/performance, I might pick one of those up!

13. TyrantofJustice

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    another good reason to go amd...no socket change... then I can just up my cpu and get a nicer mobo.

14. marcoloves360

marcoloves360 Guest

GPU:
    S 290x Vapor-X @1090/1475
  15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

A socket change is likely with 4th gen Bulldozer when they move to DDR4. Also, there is a possibility this will include a graphics core (even if just as an option), since they are going towards heterogeneous architecture. It may be the case you need something like Lucid MVP (or equivalent) to use this in conjunction with Nvidia hardware, or it could simply have some sort of crossfire with an AMD, or multiple AMD cards. Since AMD have 'access' to more advanced manufacturing now (in terms of shrinking from say, 28nm? in third gen, or whatever it will use, to possibly 14nm, or 13nm I think I read somewhere), the 4th gen seems quite interesting. It will probably be the case of a whole new architecture with some Bulldozer derived tech more than a simply update.

This is just speculation, but it is a combination of all the current rumours. It would be nice if true!

Anyways, FX-8320 is a good choice simply because it is value for money, and upgradeable to at least 3rd gen next year.

16. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    The way i see it is like getting a base model, then later dropping in an LSX stroker in it. :rock:

Besides upgrading a cpu is like a 10 minute job, tops. Doesn't matter though, it was just an option and it looks like the op has decided on an AM3+ build. I "LOVE" keeping the same socket. :D

17. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Honestly if the FX-8350 came out last year when I rebuilt my rig, I would have gone with AMD but it didn't fit the time frame and there were no guarantees that AMD wouldn't change sockets at the time.

Looking back, I could have just gotten the 8150 or 8120 and just popped a 8350/8320 afterwards.

Oh well, the Core i5 3570K is a great CPU in its own right as well.

If you can afford the FX-8320/8350 I'd go with that.

deltatux