What's so hard about making smaller high-end phones, Especially Android based phones

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Mr.Bigtime, Dec 9, 2012.

1. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I agree with OP.
    Personally, I got the nokia lumia 800 for the OS (I feel the same about Android as you do) and size and overall (build)quality.
    I was relieved after the 900 came when I herd of it's size, just too big in my opinion. I guess I could live with 4", but I really prefer anything under that.

2. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
  3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Because bigger is better! I used to own the Samsung Galaxy, followed by the Note & now I'm buying the Galaxy Note II...

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    If you love big phones, note 2 is the best. I used for 1 day and it was awesome but well, big lol. .

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Just found out some more news. Soon, there will be a competitor for the Note II, it has an even BIGGER screen.

It's called Huawei VP. It has a 6.1-inch 1080p display, a 1.8GHz quad-core processor and 2GB of RAM!! Also, it will be CHEAPER than the Note II & will apparently have better battery life...

Source - http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_vp_confirms_galaxy_note_ii_competitor_is_in_the_works-news-5175.php

6. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    iPhone 5 shape is awful i think, its way too narrow. Like i said before i think Galaxy2 is the best size,well at least for me. But i know what you mean. I agree with Mikedogg. iOS only has to run on one phone which was configured and optimized. Android has to run all bunch of different phone. For example Nexus series are really smooth.

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Galaxy series too are smooth & lag free, especially when they were updated to Jelly Bean - Project Butter...

8. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    The new Motorola with the Intel processor I find to be the perfect size.

9. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Yea that too. Just installed JB on my Galaxy s2 and it feels so much better!

10. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    the most recent jelly bean ROM leak TouchWiz is even smoother than Nova FYI. I just don't care for the launcher (but do like the other TW features).

It's not officially out but cyanogenmod / AOKP etc. had JB since Jully. TouchWiz Sammy based ROM leaked as of last month. Both are buttery smooth and bring all the features of the S3 & Note2 to the S2 minus the higher resolution display. All tucked into a smaller package no complaints. :)

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Man i would like to go s2 again if, it was not plastic. There r no products out there that modify the s2 ? I mean a body of brusshed aliminium or what ever it is. Metal etc hu? Mim not saying cases. Im saying whole phone body change. Damn. Pitty.

12. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I think we are the only ones :)

13. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    batteries i guess.. u cant fit a 2000mah+ battery in a phone smaller than 4"

for HD screens and quad cores im sure that kind of battery is a must

14. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    not to be trolling but.. The times are over where "big" inventions were invented.. Now its step by step same items being replaced by slightly better versions... patient man wins! id say enjoy your phone for 5more years and then you wont be dissapointed after getting a new phone!

15. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    I'm also thinking 4~4.5 is the optimal size. Below is too small, above will put the phone too large. Currently have an Acro S (4.3) and the size is pretty nice, but obviously specs aren't the best. But eyeing a small upgrade to the Xperia V.

16. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    hmmmm....

it's all about our average finger's size....

17. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    All depend your need your use.. there's basically no correlation with screez size, as in reality it depend of the resolution. A big 5"screen with a 1280x720
    and a 4" 1280x720 are the same in term of demand, but higher you go on resolution, higher is the demand ( and mostly on GPU ) ( difference lay on PPI count for same resolution/different screen size )

Now the Nexus 10, made by Samsung sport a PLS 2560x1600 screen , and the tablet is exceptionnally smooth. ( Without saying the render of the PLS screen is way higher )

It is mostly the gpu and the MIPI who limit resolution for high res display ( I have the whitepaper here of the Exynos 5, all have been made on the CPU/system side for allow an use of 2560x1600 display ( hence the Galaxy nexus 10 display).. Samsung have push new technology on the Exynos 5 ( AP directly integrate eDP and dont use MIPI ( eDP is in general used on laptop ), and on displaying side, Tcon ( timing controller of the eDRAM, and PSR ( mostly for save power consumption ) ( in addition the exynos GPU support GPGPU by OpenCL1.1 and 64bits floating points (Full precision )

Then ofc, more apps/widget you are using opened at the same time, + live wallpaers etc, can reduce the smoothness, but i have not see any review who was point the note2 is not smooth or whatever..

Nearly all phone today pack 2gb of ram anyway, but even my old S2 with only 1gb and ICS 4.04 ( and tested Jellybean too) is perfectly smooth. and whatever is the situation: Internet or just touch navigate in the phone, and i have a tons of widget refreshing all the time ( Flipboard, news, meteo, even a gallery page who refresh all 4sec ), live wallpaper ( leaf or Nexus revamped ) ( and i can compare easely here with 5 and 4S )

On the Iphone, the OS is really naked, no widget, no live wallpaper..

Same goes about the animation when moving pages, if you set the card pile effect, it can have sometimes a bad effect, but in reality it have nothing to with smoothness, but the way you move your finger.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  18. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    not to jinx it but I've dropped my phone plenty of times both in a case and without being in a case. It still works fine. Who cares if it's plastic? It works after countless drops and doesn't show much damage for the amount of times it's impacted the ground.

Don't judge it just because "it's plastic." It seems to hold it's own better than Apple's glass and brushed aluminium.

19. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Need say, this make 1 year i have the S2, and it is still exactly the same of when i have oppen the box for the first time. ( it have only fall one time on floor and was not a ciment surface.. still in general i dont have a bad use of it ).

Without protection since a lot of time. ...

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Im Not talking about its soldity im talking abouT The look .