AMD Catalyst 12.4 OpenCL 1.2 (8.960.0 March 15) AMD Official BETA

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by gaul, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Thx anyway :)

Extract the drivers and try installing through device manager....

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  2. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Thank you man, it worked, but I cannot open CCC. It says "There are currently no settings that can be configured using CCC"

Do you know anything about? In Task-Manager seemingly at least, both running normally ( CCC.exe Mom.exe ).

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Np.

You could try reinstalling CCC, located in Packages\Apps\CCC2\Core-Static

4. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    if you start AB with the -xcl option, it will increase your clock ceiling.

Downloading the 2 files mentioned earlier is for UNOFFICIAL MODE ONLY. You dont need them for -xcl mode. unofficial mode is living on borrowed time. AMD has removed support, those 2 files are a hack. Change now.

5. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    I wouldn't either, but the connection monitor/card has been made via HDMI and I think it's the reason it doesn't auto-select FULL RGB PC ( Pixel Format ), but YBCR-something and I get 1920x1080 with black borders around. Also, enables ITC proccesing. Every time I've to disable ITC and change manually format to FULL RGB to get normal colors and full 1920x1080. When I change the format, after a minute it changes me back to Limited RGB this time. I must restart the PC instantly when I change to FULL RGB to keep it...

Crazy things. I don't know exactly what's the reason, but that's why I've to install CCC.

Anyway, I'll try to reinstall as you suggested.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

^They aren't really a hack, atipdlxx.dll is the file AMD removed which is needed by AB to extend clocks beyond the pathetic CCC limits.

Btw have you got a link to info on what -xcl does?

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah...you kinda lost me there but did you install the packages like ATI Stream etc as well?

8. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    I'm not sure. I'm doing currently a clean uninstall/installation. Also, I'm installing Net Framework 3.5 & 2. I didn't know Win8 had only the newer 4.5, but also I'm not sure if I need the old ones. Only time will tell :S

9. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Dam... I installed the driver alone, then CCC with everything. This time I included Hydravision as well and CCC opens normally, but it just gives me option about Hydravision ONLY... So, the problem is, since I cannot install the actual driver through Catalyst Manager, I don't receive options. No matter if I install the driver manually via Device Manager. DAMN.

Anyway, I'll try Google.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Doesn't matter how the driver is installed, you don't need to use CIM for CCC to work properly.

It's prob just because it doesn't support Windows8...I mean really what did you expect?

11. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    They actually are a hack, because they dont match the cat version, you are forcing files from a prior build that dont really belong there. At some point they will cease to function. They only interface with ABs "Unoficial Mode". the /xcl option uses AMDs official OC interface.

But semantics....

This is per Unwinder, the Programmer of AB:

"/XCL eXtends Clock Limits for official AMD overclocking APIs. Which means that it also extends clock limits for CCC or any other other vendor specific tool using official overclocking interfaces provided by AMD. Considering that it is using official AMD overclocking interface, it is compatible with ULPS. This method is equal to flashing new VGA BIOS with extended Overdrive clock limits.
    However, this method uses hidded VGA BIOS emulation debug feature of Catalyst driver. Once AMD decide to remove it from driver, it will stop working. It is also necessary to re-extend clock limit after driver re-installation because VGA bios emulator resides in Catalyst registry entries.

Unofficial overclocking uses old undocumented "hole" in AMD driver, which allows to re-program PowerPlay table and bypass Overdrive clock limits. AMD used this unofficial interface in the past for their internal AMDGPUClockTool. Currently the "hole" is not supported by AMD in any way, it is incompatible with some AMDs own power saving technologies (ULPS), it has many side effects due to "nice" AMD programming skills (such as resetting fan speed and powertune to defaults, etc, etc)."

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4243725&postcount=101

If you wish to get your hands dirty and see what its doing, google the Racerx utility, and wander through the reg entry it creates. Its does same thing.

12. syncore

syncore Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6990 4GB + XFX GTS250
    With these on 6990, BF3 cannot get more than 17 fps (LOL). 2nd GPU is pegged at the lowest clocks, 250mhz hahaha.

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Bro, it's not a hack, you are just inserting a string into a file....I wouldn't call that a hack but a workaround. Hacking is in a totally different class of it's own.

14. Shayne

Shayne Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Reason to flash your overclock to bios and scrap the software crap. Make your life a whole lot easier.

Regards

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    AB still needs those two files in order for /XCL (or -xcl) to run the registry edit for extending the clock limits properly.
    You can test this by removing those files in their respective folders and run the /XCL command; you won't get any notifications that the limits have been extended and that you have to restart your PC.

Keep in mind that the /XCL (and /RCL, to reset the limits back) command is simply adding (or removing, in case of /RCL) some registry entries.
    If you didn't clean previous drivers installation properly, those entries would still be in your registry since, IIRC, AMD's own uninstaller does not remove them, which explains why AB will still work without them.

AB itself doesn't need those two files to OC the GPU, so yes, AB will still work regardless.
    It's just that those two files are key to run /XCL (a.k.a. adding the registry entries) properly; they're not needed afterwards.

CMIIW, though, since it's what I've observed so far.
    Just tested running /XCL with and without those two files.

And no, it's not a hack by any stretch of imagination, unless you consider using other people's Facebook account because they forgot to log out as 'hacking'.

16. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I disagree that those files are required, as ive used /xcl in the past without them (post 12.2 when they were removed), as have others, but if thats the case just user racerx utility. I use it as AB with /xcl does not give any control over the limits while racerx does...

Since the /xcl mode uses the "Official" OC interface, i see no reason to require them. If this is the case, perhaps someone should say something to unwinder, as there is absolutely no need for them with the offical OC interface, and use of them could potentially break ULPS and powerplay as Unoffical mode does.

i said a "Hack" not "hacking", to me a hack is any modification that circumvents the original intent of the creator...in this case AMD has intentionally removed those files to prohibit the use of the old hole.

as i said, semantics...

17. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire

Quite interesting made me look up Piracy vs Theft

There is a legal difference. I find that interesting thanks.

However i was more alluding to the fact i used to download illegal copies and how i actually decided to start paying. At the time i didnt think much of it, it was more of a game just to get something without paying for it.

lol sorry totally off topic

18. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    The word piracy definitively includes loss of property. Tell the Somalian's they aren't getting any property. lol.

I think the debate is specifically "Software Piracy"

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  19. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    What's this, foot-in-mouth disease?
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4279298&postcount=3

Like I said, those files aren't required for OC-ing via AB.
    Those files are only needed by AB to properly execute /XCL or /RCL, nothing more.
    You can remove those two files after you're done running /XCL, and AB would still OC normally.

20. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    no you jackass, that was me trying to get resolution to your claim since i cant prove it...

Ive NEVER seen the issue, u claim otherwise...i was being proactive

as you seem to be unappreciative, i will remove the last post and you can deal with it yourself.

I stand by initial statement that the files ARE NOT required for /xcl mode in any way shape or form, initially or otherwise, nor are they required by racerx which makes the exact same registry modifications.

clean out your system, you clearly have some kind of issue..

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012