Windows 8.1 to bring back familiar parts of Windows 7

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 22, 2013.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Doubt it's gonna be the old Windows 7 Start Menu, but instead a Start Button that opens the Metro Interface.

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I hope that you can turn off the direct desktop boot if anyone wants to try the new Windows 8 interface. Or for the users who are used to the Metro interface.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  3. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    If you’re not familiar with keyboard shortcuts—or you’d like to see a list of shortcuts in one place—see the bigger list of keyboard shortcuts.

Straight from the website. Whoopie doo. Its not under the "new", but if you are not aware of a shortcut, you might want to read them all.

4. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Finally a new-usable windows!

If it has a proper desktop experience, I'll be glad to upgrade... For now, Windows 7 X64 for me!

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I'll believe it when I see it.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Well i think i will stay with w7 x64 untill something really new comes out, dont wanna bother with this.

7. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I feel 8.1 could be worth purchasing, as long as it comes for not more than 40 bucks.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Probably this^^

I have no issues with the Metro startup personally, as I have it hooked up to my online stuffs like email and messenger, so I'm go to go from boot.

Although it wasn't that way to begin with, as I didn't know to hook anything up to it, or even how to hook anything up, or that hooking up was an option worth exploring.

Guess this is part of the perceived problem people have: it's Windows Jim, but not as we know it.

As for 8.1, we need more information - but my gut tells me the Windows team were asked to create something for every device out there, and I think they did exactly what they were asked to do.

What M$ should have done with all of that $ is develop a brand new OS that is superlite and superfast, and any legacy apps pre-Windows 8 should have run in virtual mode.

Just my opinion, pay no mind.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Unless it's forced through Windows Update.....I'm not touching it. I'm perfectly happy with Windows8 the way it is....

10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Windows 8 is ugly, (plain-looking) But so am I :)

11. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Windows XP = fast, but unstable
    Windows Vista = Pretty , even look better than Windows 7
    Windows 7 = Perfect, but doesn't look as good like Vista
    Windows 8 = No performance difference in games compared to Vista or Win7, with a crappy tablet = Why bother.

12. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    windows 8 gaming it IS faster, windows 8.1 it WILL be even faster... :) :banana:

13. Phatzy

Phatzy Guest

C'mon be honest you sexy B****** :givebeer:

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    move mouse to lower left corner, right click, select Computer Managment and left click it.

phase 3 [​IMG]

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Yea^...What he said :deflate:

16. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Vista being oh so pretty was one thing that broke it. It just was too ressource heavy. That was far more relevant 5 years ago with the machines back in that day, than it is with the current generation. That reminded me of Windows ME. ME had so many new assistants, wizards and whatnot which used system resources. A freshly booted ME was already out of 50 % user resources. Start two heavy programs, and crash. The other thing was compatibility. Win 7 is more compatible to older programs than Vista was.

Now I wonder how they will sell Win 8.1
    Probably the best option would be to offer a free upgrade to Win 8 and again cheap upgrades for Vista/7. That would basically be a complete startover, burying Win 8. Time will tell if MS are just so panicked by the Win 8 fail that they will do just that or not.

17. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Hopefully 8.1 is more stable than 8 too. I had more system crashes with 8 than I had with Vista and they completely disappear when using 7. Windows 8 is utterly psychotic, constantly jumping between two completely different interfaces that function completely differently.

18. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    This is the problem with closed source software, their test groups might like it, but the sample size is too small to be accurate even if they have thousands of testers during their interface development. At least with open source, if there's an issue, developers can either quickly adapt or just branch the code off (look at GNOME, it got bifurcated into Cinnamon and Unity ... heck, GNOME2 was reincarnated as MATE).

As for Windows 8, like Vista SP1, I don't have any problems with it. It could be just that I've been very malleable when it comes to user interfaces since I'm used to using a vast variety of them as I run Windows, MacOS X, KDE, Unity, Cinnamon quite frequently. However, not gonna lie, I would really like if the original Windows UI came back because it's too tablet centric. Microsoft should have detected if the system had a touch screen or not and only activate Metro's Start Screen if a touch screen was detected.

Heck, with this type of change, Windows 8.1 should be called Windows 9 so it won't confuse end users. Since the Windows 8 name has been tainted, they should just go for Windows 9. Just like Vista was tainted, and even though Microsoft fixed Vista's shortcomings in SP1 and SP2, tons of people still stayed away.

deltatux

19. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    No Sinofsky = Good Windows
    Sinofsky = Ridiculous Windows