What's the deal with these Nvidia cards?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by larsbaby, Jul 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. D3TOX

D3TOX Guest

GPU:
    GTX 580 4-WAY SLI on H2O
    ...plus the fact that ATI's garbage CCC software STILL is lacking FULL FORCED refresh rate override options for people running pro-grade gaming CRTs. Nvidia on the other hand has it NAILED.

2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    With Nvidia there's no fiddling with caps.
    You just install any driver past 275.xxx and you get the most recent game profiles completely silently checked and downloaded on a daily bases directly from Nvidia site. Those profiles include optimizations for single and SLI cards, aa bits, rendering tweaks, SSAO bits etc.

And when you do want to play with optimization, nothing on ATI side comes close to myriads of possibilities in Nvidia Inspector.

Lastly my favorite feature of Nvidia cards is Antialiasing. Both out of the box and via tweaks, its superior to AMD. And I'm not talking just simple polygon based AA. There are several high end AA modes, sometimes all viable and competing.
    And when everything fails (yes, you GTA IV!) you can always go for downsampling method.

3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    +1 agreed!

4. assclown20

assclown20 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 3GB
    Ask your self what games your planning on playing. Look them up and see what brand they are optimized for and get that card.

For example: I read that BF3 was being run on a GTX580 for E3. So when i just built my new system i used a GTX580.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Catalyst Install Manager sucks ass.

6. Bilderberg

Bilderberg Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD6870 @ 1ghz
    Its all a matter of opinion. Right now Amd and Nvidia are pretty even. Just look at the reviews and pick the best you can afford.

Personally I have had more driver issues with Nvidia than Amd, but everybody's setup is different... I have had mx440, fx5200, 9600 pro, 7600gt sli, 6800nu, 8800gt sli, gtx260, hd5850, hd6870.

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Obvious troll thread... lmao, I kinda miss not reading through the nvidia section as much anymore, it's always funny reading the usual "I love Nvidia" crap left right and centre. Then you get the same people coming on the ATI section going on about how much ATI sucks.

8. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hypocrite.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Dunno about all that....

Discussion in the Nvidia camp is more like a quiet Sunday picnic compared to the war zone over in the ATI section...
    I bet I could link at least 3 closed ATI threads if you asked me to...

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

ergh...what?

My point exactly, ATi section threads being closed are all about how much ATI sucks, generally nvidia owners putting their views across and here we get the complete opposite, same people mostly though.

lmao, remember the "We love nvidia" thread or was it "nvida appreciation thread" we had a few weeks back? :biggun:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2011

11. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    It was always my impression that ATI folk linger around the Nvidia board far more than the other way around. Hordes of trolls invaded this section when fermi was delayed and had nothing better to do than yell "Nvidia epic fail" over and over while beaming with their new AMD 5xxx series cards. I guess they had to make up for the years of being second best since the 8800 series days. Nvidia now are top with their single cards yet we still have the occasional butt-hurt AMD fan who may resent that. Of course this apart from the many legitimate AMD owners looking for and switching to the green side and not looking back.

To OP, the 560ti is faster than the 6870 but costs more. So base what you want according to your budget.

12. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Not sure about the looking back part, but I always buy whats best at the time, After my gtx 295 died I had the choice of a 570 or 6950, seeing as the 570 cost an extra £50 at the time (late january) and the 6950 could be unlocked to a 6970, I went for the best card at that price point, regardless of what company it was. Haven't had any more or less issues than with my previous 4-5 Nvidia cards.

You got the wrong thread.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I dislike Nvidia's marketing tactics, tbh I'd prefer an ATI card when my 8800 is upgraded but they don't have the software support Nvidia has.
    Even just trying to find chipset drivers requires a fair bit of navigation on AMD's site...

The recent nForce chipsets haven't impressed me either, hence the reason I went with AMD this time. My last 4 boards were all nForce btw...:)

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Well, tbh I always thought the same but thanks to some newer software like Radeonpro my ati/amd expereince hasn't been that bad. My last 3 boards were nforce aswell due to sli limitations, those were exceptionally bad chipsets.

15. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe

16. larsbaby

larsbaby Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX670 EX OC SLi WC
    LOL I thought very much the same when i checked out both threads but much preferred your war zone/picnic analogy to mine..

I would like to try Nvidia again it's been a few years but it really depends on who comes out with what first.
    I've heard the HD7000 series will be out before Christmas but GTX600 series might have slipped to Q1 2012.
    I want to be able to play battlefield3 in all it's glory as well as Crysis2 and while my HD5870 are 'fine' they don't like the 2560 x 1600 Resolution I now run games in. The HD5870 Lack enough on-board memory for the ultra high res.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    1.5 years actually, which isn't very long when you've owned nearly every nForce chipset since the nforce2, like me.

Now have you got a point to make or are you deliberately trying to be a wanker? :wanker:

18. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    ^ Old hardware is old. Minor releases are even older, especially if they sucked. lol...

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well I'd compare it directly to a 2GB 6950 since that unlocks to a full 6970. When I was shopping the prices on the 570 were outrageous. 99% of the 2GB 6950s don't use defective cores, otherwise people wouldn't be getting the same overclocks the ones branded 6970 get. I know mine can pull at least 1015MHz on the core. Probably 1650MHz on the memory... I don't know why they use the double/quarter number, they should call it the real number of 825MHz or the multiplied (8x) number of 6.6GHz. At that OC it's comparable to a GTX 580, maybe even passes it in some things, not bad.

But due to driver issues and overall features I would recommend the 570 especially now that it's cheaper. My favourite filtering was combined MSAA and SSAA which can be done with 3rd party programs on nVidia cards but no such program exists for AMD cards.

As for myself even if they were the same price now and I had to choose I'm not sure which one I would pick because I'm one of the few people that gets good use out of MLAA. As soon as a good HD TV tuner/capture card is available at a sane price I'll buy that, meaning I can apply MLAA over console games so they can finally stop making my eyes bleed.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  20. crap daddy

crap daddy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    Every card is overclockable to certain degree. If you wanna push it and prepare to take the risk (unlocking AMD 6950 or the apparent problems with the GTX570 VRMs) you can up the performance close to a higher priced card. My last card was a GTX275 Oced to 732 MHz core, performance wise in the category of a GTX285 then the flagship on Nvidia and much more expensive. But if you do comparison price/performance you do on stock clocks. The 6970 did not turned out so great as the AMD fanbois were expecting so it ended up competing in performance with the 570, a lower priced card. That's all.