How hard is it to build your own computer?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Moopsta, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Moopsta

Moopsta Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 7690M XT
    I'm scared I'm going to mess it up and waste my life savings and go into depression again.

Should I take the risk or just buy one thats premade?

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Buying prebuilt is a surefire way to waste your money.

Building a PC is the easy part....selecting the right hardware is a little harder.

But that's what we're here to help with. :)

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Depends how much cash you have.
    Lack of cash can be a big motivator.

There are many many tutorials and videos on the web.
    Start on youtube if you dont like reading.
    Take your time.
    Once you feel you have a good grounding, come back and we can assist you.

4. Parabola

Parabola Guest

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset

5. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    It's easy don't get scared, stay confident.

6. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i half agree, you get alot of satifaction and its cheaper to build your own but with a pre-built you get the satifaction that the whole rig will be under warranty if anything goes tits up. i'd say:

novice: go pre-built untill your confident if the componants.

intermediate/expert: build your own.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    All hardware components have a warranty, if you build a rig yourself the faulty parts have to be RMA'd back to retailer or manufacturer, prebuilt means returning the whole system back to retailer.....

8. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    The harder part is picking the right components for you, and ones that are good bang for buck. That actually takes some knowledge about how components work and how they relate to different usage scenarios. That's where this forum can help you out the most, and it's important stuff even if you bought a pre-built. Installing parts into a PC is just like putting together a piece of IKEA furniture.

Just a few things to remember:
    - ground yourself
    - make a plan of your installation order (read up some guides about this) and keep things organized
    - you need a phillips head screwdriver, I like to have different sizes available for different screws, preferably all of them magnetic
    - handle components with care (only touch the edges of the motherboard and the graphics card's cooler, for instance)
    - don't overtighten screws
    - don't power up until you've made sure all the power cables and wires are in the right places
    - when you power up, first go to BIOS and check your CPU temperatures, RAM settings, enable AHCI if using an SSD, only then install Windows

Optionally you can make a test bench build on a piece of cardboard first, install only the most essential components to make sure nothing's DOA.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  9. Anfield82

Anfield82 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Don't rush and take it one step at a time. There are many members on here who will walk you through the whole thing if you wish.

Build your own, it's much more satisfying :)

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Youtube will likely have lots of clips on the topic which will at least give you a visual idea of whats involved.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Having the right tools can help, like for example a hammer and good supply of nails....:D

12. Parabola

Parabola Guest

GPU:
    82945G Express Chipset
    A really important tip- don't place the motherboard inside the case and then drag it to match the stand-offs to the screw holes. Instead place it in a manner the stand offs come below the holes in one try.

13. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    It really isn't hard, the first time it can be little confusing with all those cables and stuff. Yet what first time isn't a little confusing? And it's really only the firs time. The second and third time is easy. The best would be having a friend who has some experience assist you. Failing that the net is full of good guides and videos.

It's really isn't hard and apart from a screwdriver and a flashligh you usually do not even need any tools. Just make sure to get the build order right, mainboard and PSU always first.

14. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Things to remember.

- Mobo doesnt go directly to case, it goes on top of those risers.
    [​IMG]
    Do not forget those. :)

- If something doesnt seem to go in, check if it actually should go there

- Make sure there is correct amount of thermal paste between cpu and the cpu heatsink. Check CPU temps when you boot the PC. Can this destroy your PC ? Mobo should have maximum cpu temp set before stuff melts and so. I actually tested it, forgot to connect waterpump of my watercooling setup... Did shut down automatically, all still works. :)

- Dont panic, if you dont know something, ask.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    If you're installing a stock Intel CPU cooler (pre-applied paste), the push-pin design can be potentially difficult for first timers. Make sure they are pushed in diagonal order. Again best to check out visual demonstrations of all thats involved in building a PC, ie, on youtube.

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    def worth investing in an aftermarket cooler of a higher degree of quality. installation is a lot easier..(so budget for an aftermarket cooler).

Ugh some some cheapo heatsinks I used were a nightmare....

17. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    You can't go much wrong with computers of present. It's not like in old days when you had to use jumpers on motherboard, and know exactly what you doing or you would see some smoke :).

But, you still have to follow manual (if you don't know from head) to connect some of devices in some cases, for example USB, some cases have all connectors separated, so you would have to connect them properly, and that is most complicated thing you will be faced with TBH if you don't know, but every motherboard have manual and explanation for it with diagram.

Other problem you might face with, is very rare now, but it is not impossible, it is component compatibility. Some components, for whatever reason, will, or will not work with others etc. But, really, that is rare now, and most probably you will not have those problems.

Another problem is system balance, most of the prebuilt PC's have a good balance, faster CPU and "slow" GPU's. That's because manif. don't want to risk too much.

In old days, it was a rule that prebuilt PC's would have better quality and will work better compared to self build PC, because of careful selection of components etc. I'm not sure if that is the case now, since who knows who make a selection etc. Many ignorant people could be involved in some of those PC's, and it will be maybe better for you to do it yourself.

For the components and rest, you can always listen to advice of people here who built large number of PC's.

18. Preachergeek

Preachergeek Guest

GPU:
    MSI 8800gtx @ 655/950
    Building / assembling a computer is very easy if you're patient, do your research first and don't try and force anything. Make sure of anything you're unsure of before trying it and don't make any hardware changes with the power on (I dropped a screw on my graphics card with it turned on during my first build. Bad idea.)

I would however suggest you don't spend your life savings on a computer (if you need money for anything else. If you're young and don't need it then no worries) and i suggest you seek therapy or other medical assistance for depression if you actually have medical depression.

Everyone here will be happy to give you any assistance you need. It's not very difficult.

19. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    THIS^ lol i remember those times... the first time i forgot those risers and was scared about the mobo circuits could make contact with the case so i put the same anti-static cover where the mobo came haha

20. mouytbe3

mouytbe3 Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 670
    It comes down to the person and what you are willing to spend/do. Building your own is not difficult but I still went premade anyway because custom liquid cooling was not an endeavor I felt I was ready to make lol. I got mine built from a smaller company called ironside because the prices were decent, but mainly cause the customer service was really good and i felt that was important if the computer decided to implode one day lol.