What's so hard about making smaller high-end phones, Especially Android based phones

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Mr.Bigtime, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Well i really really started to hate big phones now. after Note 2 experience. i was done.

iphone 5 size is awesome. i used S3 too but still...not good for my liking.

why on earth android phones wont be smooth in small sizes? while IOS is butter smooth, why Android OS is struggling? i used s2 too..it was awesome but still..it was laggy in some places..

i think android OS itself is requires huge performance. android samsung tablet 10.1 with 2GB ram and note 2 with 2 gb rams are really smooth. so it is clear that, in my opinion, android requires 2 GB ram at least..hu?

man im waiting a small , high performance android phone . is it a dream?

and check these out:

Have All The Small Phones Gone?

Why are there so few high-end smartphones under 4-inches?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Jellybean is seriously smooth, there are quite a few decent phones, just they're not made by Samsung so people don't bother looking. Also the iPhone 5 is a horrible size and shape, way too narrow.

3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I honestly hate the size of the IPhones to the point I detest them. Especially the Iphone 5. Personally the best size phone period that I have used and liked is the Galaxy S2 T989 for Tmobile.

Android 4.0+ has true multitasking. Thats why you see lots of ram on phones and tablets .I have ran 4.0 on low end devices with 600mhz cpu and 384ram and rans very well considering. Just couldnt have the multitasking of my S2.

The biggest things is devices IOS vs Android. Apple has only a small percentage of phones and tablets to run IOS on vs the sheer amount that Android has to run on. And every manufactuer has their own ui and drivers that are put onto the phones to run.

4. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    The answer should be pretty obvious, shouldn't it?

IOS only has to cater to one type of hardware configuration. One type of configuration=less lines of code (bloat) whereas Android OS has to cater to many types of configurations and in turn, requires higher hardware specs to run it.

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    watching s3 mini videos and ..meh..such slow phone :(

6. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    You could always try WP7? The code is still relatively new compared to Android so the platform is fast across all makes of phone.

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Or WP8.

Seriously, I do agree with BigTime, I do not want 5" phones. 4,5" is really pushing it, 4" seems to be about the optimum imho.

Nokia Lumia 620 (upcoming) might be what Biggy wants, 3,8" screen, quite nice hardware, not the very top end but good enough (well, seems like it and for me at least).

8. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    I completely missed that WP8 is out.

9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Totally agreed, even if android manufacturers make something revolutionary their build quality and absurd sizes put me off.

10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    It happens when WP seems to be for hipsters and iPhone and Androind ones get most of the attention.

11. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Guest

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Too true. As much as I despise win 8 for desktop - I'd be more than keen to have it for a phone OS.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    While I agree with the size issue (it's like these manufacturers are compensating for something as they build larger and larger phones), I disagree about the correlation of screen size and the smoothness of Android. It's all down to the SoC being used for the phone, it's just quite unfortunate that manufacturers choose to bump up the screen size whenever they put a more powerful SoC in the device even though most people would be perfectly happy with a 4" display with a Qualcomm S4 Pro SoC or a Samsung Exynos 5250.

deltatux

13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    S3 and Tab7.7 user her, would never consider an iPhone even if my life depended on it. Recently got an S2 as a gift for my girlfriend, now, she loves the phone more than me.:bang: Never owned the S2, so before I gave it to her, I messed with it and I must say that little phone is zippy, handle high res movies and MP3 pretty darn well. And what I really liked about it is the size, it fits in my hand quite well, the S3 is a tad bigger, and its sheer speed.....it is pretty fast for a dualie. Didn't feel like giving her that awesome phone actually......

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    The wait is over :D

check this bad boy Xiaomi MI-2 with upgradeable 3000mAh battery, but idk if it will be available in EU *crossing fingers*
    http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_2-4928.php

http://micgadget.com/29102/xiaomi-p...oks-like-apple-keynote-with-steve-jobs-video/

Or this Sharp Aquos Zeta SH-02E, but again i think its only for Japan Market -_-

http://www.gsmarena.com/49inch_sharp_aquos_zeta_sh02e_droid_headed_to_ntt_docomo_-news-4930.php

http://www.sharp.co.jp/products/sh02e/

I would love to get my hands on that Xiaomi, apparently it will be very cheap too, max 300€.

15. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    I've been playing with my Nexus 4 and it is godly smooth :) of course with quad core power comes battery drain, there was rumors that google was going to release a patch for that but we'll see.

[​IMG]

16. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Because people with small weiners need something big to put in their pocket to make them feel good about themselves

17. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
  18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Nice one. But u cant compare whole experience with a small video and it is not is not original theme anyway. Nova launcher.

And as i pointed out, slow in some places. I was happy with it though.

They may need to make a non plastic s2 v2 or something.

Ohhh and i didnt use jb with s2. Is it officialy out? Nice. Maybe it brings more kick. Dont get me wrong. S2 is good overall.

19. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    agree with OP
    got my HTC One S ,overall nice phone,but i feel so clumsy handling it,it kinda drive me crazy.
    nevertheless,my old Samsung Galaxy S felt a little big,but it had the size i was able to handle without any efort at all.
    there is no perfect phone,and if there is one,how would you know?
    so many things to consider,so many details,companies want to sell and make money.not making the perfect phone.
    Even if Apple says that its primay goal is to make quality products,money will come in second place,i can hardly believe it.
    Same thing stand for almost every company outhere,it is a crazy competition,who makes the most money with their products.

20. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB