80 Degrees Celcius for CPU?! Too hot?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kordaek, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Kordaek

Kordaek Active Member

GPU:
    Hercules Prophet 9800 Pro 128mb
    Hi there. I think I have tracked down my Comp problems to an overheating CPU.

Should my 2000XP be hitting 80 Degrees Celcius (according to Sisoft Sandra) during normal operation? While adjusting something in my comp, the heatsink was so hot I got a heat blister from touching it for about 1 second.

Any advice on what I should do? I haven't run the system since.

2. David

David Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6700 XT
    That's waaaaaaay too hot. Suprised the computer even runs at all, I think that the XP will experience thermal death at around 90C.

Don't run the system again until you get a better cooling solution. A nice copper cooler and some Artic Silver should do the trick.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Make sure you've got good airflow in the case too (Though that isn't what's causing the cpu temps I'm sure). A good intake fan in the front and outtake at the back, at the least.

4. MrIbra

MrIbra Guest

GPU:
    XFX HD 7770 1GB
    No, 80 degrees is overkill.

Have you applied the thermal paste correctly?

It could just be sisoft sandra that's not working.

5. gdeliana

gdeliana Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1660 Ti
    I think you have really damaged your CPU. It's pointless keeping that CPU, it may burn or damage even your motherboard. Just go and buy a new one.

6. PrinceGaz

PrinceGaz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GF8800GTS 640MB @ stock
    Is your HSF (heatsink fan) plugged into your mobo and running? And is the heatsink designed for AthlonXP processors?

The reason I ask is that even if there were poor thermal contact between your CPU and heatsink, the heatsink would be no hotter than normal (actually a little cooler as less heat is being dumped into it). If the heatsink is as hot as the CPU, then the heat isn't being dissipated from it for some reason.

7. Kordaek

Kordaek Active Member

GPU:
    Hercules Prophet 9800 Pro 128mb
    I think that the connection for the CPU fan was bad - I reconnected it on another 3 prong connector, and it spins like new. I can't believe this damn thing - I've had crazy problems since I got it.

I will make sure to get a new heatsink and fan tho - Volcano should do the trick.

Case ventilation isn't a problem, I have 2 on the rear, 1 on the front, and 1 on the side - plenty of airflow.

8. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    dont use u computer in sauna:)

9. juke

juke Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    You got the hottest system I know! My processor runs hot, but only 65C max.