New Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Omagana, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Joohan

Joohan Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus AMD Radeon R9 Nano
    Apple has been known for years for their almost flawless design and I have to admit their products generally do look good. This new "trash bin" thing however, looks like a disaster. If it came in a different color, it might look a bit better) It looks like they wanted to go for something totally different from the ordinary but really missed the mark here. I also hate the way apple prevents their products to be used by anything else than their products (or in many cases even their own products, a generation older product is not generally compatible with their latest product) I have to use a mac at work and also a pc, now my work pc has a normal 23 inch display and I wanted to use the mac's bigger and better Apple HD cinema display (I think it's at least 27 inch, may even be 30 inch) because I use the pc a lot more than I do the mac but I couldn't because the mac's display only as a mini display port connection on it (and its embedded into the display so you can't detach any cables from the display itself). My pc has a nVidia Quadro 2000 gpu in it and it of course doesn't have a mini display port output, but only two HDMI ports and one DVI. I tried to switch the gpu's between the pc and the mac but the mac refused to work on my normal pc display through a DVI connection. It seems the mac has to use a dual-link DVI in order to work so a normal DVI cable won't do the job. So I had to revert back to the original setup. But things like this infuriate me. Would it have been so hard to have a dvi or even hdmi connection on the Apple HD cinema display instead of only one mini display port connection? And why are all the cables on the display unremovable? What's the point in limiting the use of your display to only certain products? There's a lot of other stuff that apple has that's just plain stupid, one example is their new so called "magic mouse". Sure it looks pretty but that's where the good parts end. The worst is the bottom of the mouse. It has two long black slaps of plastic as the mouse's feet which are the ones that touch the surface you use your mouse on (pic of these is at the bottom of this post). Isn't the point of a mouse to have as little contact to the surface as possible which makes the mouse movement easy and smooth. So is this the best the highly regarded Apple design team could come up with, because every surface I've used the mouse on, it's just plain horrible. Why couldn't they just put four little plastic "feet" on each end instead of two long bars of plastic with as much surface connection as possible which leads to almost unusable mouse on any surface. I guess the designers were only worried how the mouse look from the top and not the bottom. And that is what I think what Apple is all about these days anyways, make the products look good and people will buy them (especially the ones who know nothing to very little about computers).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  2. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Mini PCI-E and much longer and narrower than a normal one, not to mention how much more normal Mini PCI-E SSD's cost.

[​IMG]

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Mini pcie is upgradable. Newegg has kits for it, as well as there are other flash kits that are made for apples designs which they use the same design with their computers.

This is not a bad design, but it's not Mac Pro. The whole point and greatness of the Mac Pro is it's so big! If I had the time and money, I would love to convert either a g5 or Mac Pro case to atx. Beautiful design. This, the specs impress me but the design is silly looking. The cooling system is amazing though.

4. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    geez worst engineering EVER.

Seems Apple really wants NOBODY to be able to upgrade their laptops and desktops anymore or put their hands in their products. they want you to bring your Apple products to the Apple store for servicing and $$$$$$$$$. Or pay for their Extended Warranty $$$.

Yet another marketing and $$$$ catch, buy more more expensive accessories for your already 3000$ Macbook pro to be able to do this and that. NO THANK YOU.

5. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    No, there are no HDMI ports at the front.

And no, it's not internally upgradeable. What they intend is to upgrade everything externally (that's why there are 6 Thunderbolt-2 ports).

Just sayin', not agreeing or disagreeing with Apple's decisions.

PS: also, the 3 x 4K screen thing seems like a nice thing to have.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Best I could see it only had one third that has any ports, and it has them all, so either you have all your usb ports facing away from you or you have hdmi to tv and power coming out the front.

Really, it has no front, only a back, no practicality there then.

7. heffeque

heffeque Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia MX150
    Yes, everything is in the back and it's meant to be rotated. It has a motion sensor, so if it senses that you're rotating it, the back part of it lights up so that you can see the ports even in the dark.

Edit: http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/ (goto I/O, in the right)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Let's see, new member, praising Apple like they're gods while snidely putting down everyone here. Yep, totally not suspicious. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

9. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    Other than the fact that its odd that apple made it so that you can not upgrade it, I think it is brilliant. I do really like the formfactor, then again I am an Apple user(not a fanboy mind you, I do also own a Microsoft Surface Pro).

10. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I think the design is a combination of the below. They went with the "Summer" theme. :D

[​IMG]

Imho as long as it works and it performs fast or properly and it delivers, I must say I like the design. Its... Futuristic! :thumbup:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

11. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    You should had stop at "......outdone themselves this time." As far as that sentence I was agreeing with you.

The rest were really unnecessary and uncalled for. Take a chill pill and Welcome. :)

12. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
  13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    To me Apple Computers are overly price pieces of garbage and this design proves this because it looks like a trashcan.

14. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    No worries. We all get a bit "carried" away sometimes. Even the older members too. No harm done and nothing wrong with having some passion in the discussions.

That's why most of us are here. Because we love technology among many other things.

Very few tho have the good sense to understand when they did "wrong". Well done. :)

15. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE