A tribute to the best looking game ever - Crysis

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TDurden, May 18, 2017.

1. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Where did you get this from?
    TW3 is influenced by Gothic and some Bioware games, and developers even stated this. There is zero Skyrim in TW3.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  3. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Konrad stated many times how Gothic is their main influence. And this is visible in TW3, especially with environment design.
    They have however criticized Skyrim about bad unmemorable characters.

4. the9quad

the9quad Guest

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Gaming-X
    Except you would struggle to find PC games that look better than HZD.

As far as TW3 goes, that game has some of the most dull and boring game play ever, but is on every GOAT list because of graphics and its quests. People always say game play>graphics than worship games like TW3. I only mention that because you called Crysis an interactive tech demo, but at least it had some somewhat compelling game play. TW3 is nothing more than an interactive book with zero compelling game play.

Last edited: May 20, 2017

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    HZD doesn´t look anything special from what i´ve seen. In fact the graphics are on par with the one from Witcher3, in my opinion.

Regarding W3. the reason why i don´t think it´s anything special it´s because the combat is boring and depends too much on using magic, the story has some interesting points but in the end revolves around saving the world and a lame love triangle... Not to mention they transformed Geralt in the Bond of RPGs...
    For me the worst part that really "kills" the game is the "open world" syndrome that affects lots of current games, where you have to go to A to talk to someone, then that guy tells you to B, C and D, that are usually on the other side of map, to fetch some items then back to A to talk again to the guy that tells you to E to kill the monster and then return again to the beginning to receive some prize!... It´s so ****ing boring!!!

That´s why my favourite Witcher game was the first, it was different from other games and didn´t have the open world that ruins the game...

Sorry for the long rant but i´m sick of empty open world games and their fetch gameplay...

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Damn Crysis... crashing. Randomly.
    Killing any motivation I have to play it at the moment.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

8. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    set comptibility to windows vista

9. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i agree with u on this, thats why i didnt feel th urge to continue playing actually

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Or... just play the 32bit exe instead of the 64bit one.
    I tried compatibility earlier, didn't do anything. But, switching to the 32bit exe worked.

11. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I thought the Origin version didn't have x64 exe?

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well, Origin just downloads the installer. Then you have to install the game, so... it's not up to date.
    You then have to manually patch the game yourself. And, the x64 exe is in the game's install directory. So, you can just go there and pick which ever exe you want to use.

It's the laziest way to add a game to a digital download service. Just... why didn't I simply install it from the disc. Would've actually been quicker.

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Agree. IMO only visual impressive aspect of crysis was the vegetation... NOTHING ELSE. Look at other objects, the vehicles, the clutter inside the huts/shacks, tables, radio equipment, etc, North Koreans facial animations, etc, these aspects suck by most modern games standards. People only focused on the vegetation and that you could see individual grass blades, but beyond that, it visually falls flat vs other games released in last 5 years.

14. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    This is why I love and have the GOG versions.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Really? The Origin version is the original disc version with no patch applied? wtf?

Something I remember last time I tried the game was running it in dx9 mode helped with crashing.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That's how Origin used to handle digital download so the older games still use this "legacy" mode of basically downloading the 1.00 version as a unpacked installer iso and setting it up from there.

They didn't update these games either far as I know so Steam is a better option though I don't remember if Steam used the x64 version of Crysis and if it was 1.20 or 1.21 although I don't fully remember if that last 1.21 update did very much or if it was more of a security update for some online exploit, I think there was something like that.

17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I just got my dvd copy of Crysis off the shelf... and inside... I still have the docket from when I purchased it haha! game was $99.95 and I had used a 100 dollar note hahahahaha... 5 cents change.. lol..

Purchased 18th of November 2007.... how time flies..

18. TR2N

TR2N Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD
    Funny how in 10 years, how far pc games have come.

19. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Crysis was nice for a long time but many game engines have caught up to the original.

Better yet to compare say Crysis 3 modded up vs UE4, Frostbite 2 or other games.

I love the art direction. It really inspired and pushed many games to up their fidelity - say from Stalker to Metro, COD4 to the current versions, BF4+, UE4 and even idtech.

When I get my 4K upgrade, Crysis will be replayed all modded up and I believe it will still hold its own.

Would be impressive to see Crysis ported to the lastest Cryengine just for comparison.

20. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Crytek did port the game to Cry-Engine 3.x for the X360 and PS3 platforms and that version of the game some years ago but it wasn't as impressive looking as the original on PC due to hardware constraints even if the game engine had some improvements.

I think they did a earlier tech video as well showing a early part of Crysis 1 running on Cry-Engine 3.x but it was a while ago.

A re-release on Cry-Engine V for PC, PS4 and XBO would probably be a different story though I don't think there's any plans for anything like that, actually not sure what Crytek is working on now after the recent layoffs and other restructures and I think the VR titles bombed a bit as well.
    (Though there's still a number of other studios who licensed the engine so they're still afloat at least or how to say even if things haven't gone quite as good as they hoped.)

EDIT: Not sure if there are that many games out even using Cry-Engine V, for indie such as Steam and it's early access program there were a couple of games that planned to update and The Cursed Forest is currently the only one I know of that is using that version. (5.2.x with a update planned to 5.3.x before the full release.) Wolcen also had plans but it's going to take some time.

For "AAA" games there's a couple listed on Wikipedia with Robinson and The Climb being released by Crytek as showcases for VR and then there's Prey (2017) but digging around in the game files it's something like 3.8.4 to 3.8.6 and going by the cvars the game has there's nothing from V in there.

Version 3.8.4 introduced a few cvars which the game has but no cvars were added by 3.8.5 or 3.8.6 far as I know so it's not as easy to check and V added a number of cvars plus made changes to existing ones so that's pretty easy to compare.

As for most other games they seem to be on 3.7.x with a few newer ones using 3.8.x although it's not always easy to tell.
    (Game development takes time though and it's not always easy to upgrade to newer major engine updates, same goes for several UE4 games too as a comparison.)

Last edited: May 21, 2017